Latics take fans’ views on board

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone has mentioned that you have a representative on the board to take all such ideas forward. You should be assured that I do this for every fan, be it those who post on OWTB or who make their feeling known elsewhare.

I am glad the Chronicle got involved because I think letters emerged from all quarters and not just from a select audience.I believe that more should be shared with the newspaper media because we get a better cross representation of views and ideas.

Alan Hardy , as spokesman for the Board has responded in an amicable manner and this should not be read as thought other board members are not involved, certainly in my case as your representative on the board.

Some good ideas have emerged and are already under discussion. Other ideas are just not financially feasible and I hope that people understand this.

I have just returned from a trust meeting and we have again discussed the low gates and the lack of the matchday experience. Rick Attwood is working with the Community Trust on a number of ideas and we have got a number of other initiatives that we are looking at.

Keep the Faith

Barry

Someone has mentioned that you have a representative on the board to take all such ideas forward. You should be assured that I do this for every fan, be it those who post on OWTB or who make their feeling known elsewhare.

I am glad the Chronicle got involved because I think letters emerged from all quarters and not just from a select audience.I believe that more should be shared with the newspaper media because we get a better cross representation of views and ideas.

Alan Hardy , as spokesman for the Board has responded in an amicable manner and this should not be read as thought other board members are not involved, certainly in my case as your representative on the board.

Some good ideas have emerged and are already under discussion. Other ideas are just not financially feasible and I hope that people understand this.

I have just returned from a trust meeting and we have again discussed the low gates and the lack of the matchday experience. Rick Attwood is working with the Community Trust on a number of ideas and we have got a number of other initiatives that we are looking at.

Keep the Faith

Barry

Barry its there for all to see what the main problem is and several have mentioned it and will continue to do so. The cost of watching league 1 football is expensive but if you are a dedicated enough and your pocket allows you will go. The cost of watching with a kid however is potentially impossible for many!

For adult and child for instance I could watch Prem football at City, Blackburn or Wigan for cheaper or equivelant to what I pay at Latics......... even though thats not for me because I am Latics to the core! However thats not the case for some who obviously cant afford the cost at the moment. With the amount of empty seats at BP and the fact that we need to gain future crowds we need to capitalise on the kids, therefore under 16's for a quid or two ANYWHERE in the ground would work, as long as they are with a paying adult. That way Latics gain the paying adult, the support and hopefully future dosh from the kid, the bigger crowd, the revenue from sales at the shop (scarf, food, drink, programme etc).

We used to capitalise on being vastly cheaper than the Manchester clubs and people would therefore sometimes come to us instead............. I pay £11 in the main stand for my youngen and it would cost £5 to take her to City!

Simples!

I am glad the Chronicle got involved because I think letters emerged from all quarters and not just from a select audience it allows us to build on the excellent views provided by posters on owtb and helps us to better understand our wider fan base. I believe that more should be shared with the newspaper media because we get a better cross representation are then able to reach a broader range of fans and potential fans across different media, getting them thinking about the club and talking to us about the club.

Sometimes a slight adjustment to words can make more people feel valued.

:grin:

Edited by opinions4u

Barry its there for all to see what the main problem is and several have mentioned it and will continue to do so. The cost of watching league 1 football is expensive but if you are a dedicated enough and your pocket allows you will go. The cost of watching with a kid however is potentially impossible for many!

For adult and child for instance I could watch Prem football at City, Blackburn or Wigan for cheaper or equivelant to what I pay at Latics......... even though thats not for me because I am Latics to the core! However thats not the case for some who obviously cant afford the cost at the moment. With the amount of empty seats at BP and the fact that we need to gain future crowds we need to capitalise on the kids, therefore under 16's for a quid or two ANYWHERE in the ground would work, as long as they are with a paying adult. That way Latics gain the paying adult, the support and hopefully future dosh from the kid, the bigger crowd, the revenue from sales at the shop (scarf, food, drink, programme etc).

We used to capitalise on being vastly cheaper than the Manchester clubs and people would therefore sometimes come to us instead............. I pay £11 in the main stand for my youngen and it would cost £5 to take her to City!

Simples!

Good idea, and to stop all the 16 - 18 year olds from exploiting the system you get them to show there ID when entering the ground!

Keep the Faith

Barry

Yeah that was me, I thought you'd say something like that. I was interested in how you'd say it and I'm not surprised.

Few things:

1.) You are the fan's representative on the board, yet you use the pronoun "you" that makes it look like you don't see the fas as the same entity as yourself (I hope this wasn't your intention).

2.) Yes the Chron is great for "discussing" such things with those who don't spend all that much time on here for whatever reason. But what about those who live outside where the Chron is readily available (i.e. large parts of areas not in the Metropolitan borough of Oldham)? How do they get involved? Can I suggest a newsletter (or something similar) for those who don't live in Oldham.

Yeah that was me, I thought you'd say something like that. I was interested in how you'd say it and I'm not surprised.

Few things:

1.) You are the fan's representative on the board, yet you use the pronoun "you" that makes it look like you don't see the fas as the same entity as yourself (I hope this wasn't your intention).

2.) Yes the Chron is great for "discussing" such things with those who don't spend all that much time on here for whatever reason. But what about those who live outside where the Chron is readily available (i.e. large parts of areas not in the Metropolitan borough of Oldham)? How do they get involved? Can I suggest a newsletter (or something similar) for those who don't live in Oldham.

Peed me off being told newspaper readers were "better".

I know it wasn't meant that way, but ....

Please don't assume all 16-18 year olds can afford to pay full price. My son (September birthday) is now at college, no job, bank of mum and dad. Season ticket increase from Boundary Blue £50 to more than 3x the price. So now he doesn't go, doesn't buy programme, meal deal, trips away, merchandise. He's not the only one either. Shame.

Please don't assume all 16-18 year olds can afford to pay full price. My son (September birthday) is now at college, no job, bank of mum and dad. Season ticket increase from Boundary Blue £50 to more than 3x the price. So now he doesn't go, doesn't buy programme, meal deal, trips away, merchandise. He's not the only one either. Shame.

With school leaving age rising, perhaps clubs should be raising the "child" age bracket? Although he could always try to get a part time job?

With school leaving age rising, perhaps clubs should be raising the "child" age bracket? Although he could always try to get a part time job?

He is doing, but no luck yet. Definately think student rate worthy of consideration though. Bank of mum and dad might fund that, supported latics all my life, want him to do the same!

this is what im talking about....the club isnt bothered he cant go anymore,otherwise they would already have something in place...oops,there i go again thinking the club has dragged its arse out the dark ages...

fans rep saying paper readers comments and ideas more enterprising than people on here,again no suprise....the fans rep is so out of touch with actual fans...just as a matter of interest...does the fans rep pay for match tickets these days???

it isnt impossible to come up with a few ideas and implement them,the trouble is they still rip fans off with overpriced food and other beverages,so you have to do something to even it out,that would be under 15 free,15-18 4 quid...over 18 adult price.

adult pay on the day needs to come down to 18 on the day and 17 pay in advance,that way season ticket holders cant whinge...the club says it cant implement things like this because it will cost the club money and they will lose out...trouble is they are already losing out by not implementing thiem,but they cant see the wood for the trees.

Not here to the bash the club, but i have had a thought while at away grounds this season. Been to both Tranmere and Charlton and both i imagine have different budgets and goals, one going for promotion and one looking to stave off relegation (that's a rough geuss). So the following shouldnt have too much to do with loss of or making of money.

My question is: Why is it not possible to have student/16-22 year old match day tickets available at Latics like there is easily available at these grounds (among others i imagine)? My main thinking is that the application of having these schemes doesn't seem too hi-tech or form ridden when turning up at these clubs to pay for tickets, just a simple case of showing the appropiate id on the gate or ticket office.

Im sure Latics may run something similar if you sign up some form (is there red tape, so to speak, involved with getting a student ticket at Latics? if not then feel free to pull me up on it) or another, but for some its the hassle of filling in a form. As ive pointed out, why is it not possible to do as other clubs do and simply turn up on the day, show id and be let in for the reduced cost?

Granted such a ticket scheme would'nt apply to me now as i'd just miss out if the age limit is 22, but i feel its something the club could work on to help retain those younger fans we already have once they turn 16 and get turned off with the idea of paying a full price ticket (not sure if the club offer a season ticket for the age group 16-22? or if they do if its worth it?). I don't imagine it would be something that would attract thousands of new people in that age bracket, but it could be viable enough for those who may turn up now and again too. Whether they are from the nearby area as non-students or from one of the nearby uni's (however rare that will be they will come see latics) and they decide they might come on a whim/good cup game/decent run of form and we are challenging at the top end of the table. It might sound daft but that reduction in price and lack of form filling (if theres any) could sway a few more than normal to come.

Not here to the bash the club, but i have had a thought while at away grounds this season. Been to both Tranmere and Charlton and both i imagine have different budgets and goals, one going for promotion and one looking to stave off relegation (that's a rough geuss). So the following shouldnt have too much to do with loss of or making of money.

My question is: Why is it not possible to have student/16-22 year old match day tickets available at Latics like there is easily available at these grounds (among others i imagine)? My main thinking is that the application of having these schemes doesn't seem too hi-tech or form ridden when turning up at these clubs to pay for tickets, just a simple case of showing the appropiate id on the gate or ticket office.

Im sure Latics may run something similar if you sign up some form (is there red tape, so to speak, involved with getting a student ticket at Latics? if not then feel free to pull me up on it) or another, but for some its the hassle of filling in a form. As ive pointed out, why is it not possible to do as other clubs do and simply turn up on the day, show id and be let in for the reduced cost?

Granted such a ticket scheme would'nt apply to me now as i'd just miss out if the age limit is 22, but i feel its something the club could work on to help retain those younger fans we already have once they turn 16 and get turned off with the idea of paying a full price ticket (not sure if the club offer a season ticket for the age group 16-22? or if they do if its worth it?). I don't imagine it would be something that would attract thousands of new people in that age bracket, but it could be viable enough for those who may turn up now and again too. Whether they are from the nearby area as non-students or from one of the nearby uni's (however rare that will be they will come see latics) and they decide they might come on a whim/good cup game/decent run of form and we are challenging at the top end of the table. It might sound daft but that reduction in price and lack of form filling (if theres any) could sway a few more than normal to come.

do these id have photo id or just a name n age kinda thing,if the latter then thats where i see it being open to abuse,nothing stopping me getting hold of one and paying reduced cost is there,

i fully understand what your saying,i know there used to be a student deal,not too sure now though.

lets face it...the club havent replaced the scoreboard,even though fans raised money to get it installed...the club have stated they wont be replacing the burnt out sponsors boxes,as it isnt financially viable....even though it could take another 3 years for new stadium to be built,so there losing out on advertising revenue and other income streams,there not bothered about that..yet they wont reduce gate prices and introduce other schemes that have been successfull at other clubs,because of loss of revenue....just doesnt make sense sometimes.

do these id have photo id or just a name n age kinda thing,if the latter then thats where i see it being open to abuse,nothing stopping me getting hold of one and paying reduced cost is there,

i fully understand what your saying,i know there used to be a student deal,not too sure now though.

lets face it...the club havent replaced the scoreboard,even though fans raised money to get it installed...the club have stated they wont be replacing the burnt out sponsors boxes,as it isnt financially viable....even though it could take another 3 years for new stadium to be built,so there losing out on advertising revenue and other income streams,there not bothered about that..yet they wont reduce gate prices and introduce other schemes that have been successfull at other clubs,because of loss of revenue....just doesnt make sense sometimes.

Normally a photo on it if its a student id for student prices or if its just the general 16-22 year olds, then a driving license or whatever else appropiate. I see your point about it being abused and agree you don't want that to happen, though i suppose if done as just a general 16-22 year old addmission, which other clubs have, i don't see a problem with it being implemented. These other clubs seem to have no problem with it, why should we?

A club like Tranmere have done it for years, or as long as i remember going, with il agree it probably being abused a few times by those just a bit older than allowed or those lucky enough to look young enough. Doesn't seem a big deal for them (addmittedly i dont keep up on any Tranmere news lol) as they do it year after year. Plus if it means missing out on those few paying full whack a year or two till it's no longer possible to pass for the age needed, combined with those who have been on the scheme legitimately, hopefully a good few will be stuck into a routine of regularly atteneding the game, hopefully by then being able to afford a season ticket/the couple extra quid required or even just willing to go if they aren't able to afford it. Attending the pub before and/or after the game for a beer with friends, which you start to do more often come 18+ (plus the cheeky few at 16,17), adds to the expereince of going to the game, and getting into a routine of going, building your saturday round it. A lot of pie in the sky i know lol but i hope not too far fetched.

At the end of the day i currently see it as were losing out on a few of those at that age group not going at all which could cost us in the long term. I reckon from those that have just turned 16 from the boundary blues and onto the full price whack, the really committed/a dad willing to pay/a part time job and ability to save, are the ones able to afford the adult prices. Those less fortunate or less committed are the ones we should aim to enitce in the hope of ensuring their support for the future and when they are, hoepfully, better off. A cheaper ticket is easier to save for/payable by dad/a good xmas/b'day gift.

I reckon those that stop going from 16 regulary, that within a year they have started finding something else to do with their time, and thus less willing to come back with Latics.

I am not sure why I am mis quoted or why people misconstrue a particular word or sentence.

I merely pointed out that it is nice to get the views of ALL fans, not just from this site but from those who take the trouble to reply in the Chron. Why do some of you object to me making that observation. I believe that fans are equal whether they contribute from this site, by media, by post or by telephone. Another poster picks on a word I use. Why. Nothing offensive was intended. If it was taken that way I apologise.

The main issue is that a lot of good points have been made and I personally believe that the financial burden can be reduced with entry of a child via an adult. Again we have to consider those children who have paid for memberships this season.

There is no simple answer to our predicament and those who purchased a season ticket, on average pay less entry per game than many clubs.

With gates dwindling it is unfortunate that it is the few who pay the price. To survive, the maths have got to add up. Simple fact if we want a football club at a reasonable level. I don't always agree with OAFC0000 but he makes very valid points in the past about our survival and I would rather work within a affordable budget and maintain a football club than throw money at the club that we do not have. As we all know that only leads to one conclusion.

On a final point no one pays there way more than I do and my colleagues on the Trust will tell you it actually costs me money to do what I do. And before anyone asks my wife is also a paid up season ticket holder.

Regards

Barry

I am not sure why I am mis quoted or why people misconstrue a particular word or sentence.

I merely pointed out that it is nice to get the views of ALL fans, not just from this site but from those who take the trouble to reply in the Chron. Why do some of you object to me making that observation. I believe that fans are equal whether they contribute from this site, by media, by post or by telephone. Another poster picks on a word I use. Why. Nothing offensive was intended. If it was taken that way I apologise.

Being honest Barry, I think sometimes people see your username and think "nice one, chance for another pop"...I really can't understand the bed-wetting over your comments (on this occasion). However, I will add that some of the comments in the Chron have been discussed on here, whether they've been missed or dismissed in the past then at least they're being looked at now.

Also, I've made a point on this post about Membership schemes. I have been replied to saying the league scrapped them due to clubs abusing the use of them against away fans. Therefore, I've suggested a 2-tiered Membership scheme which can be used for all clubs...is this something that's ever been discussed as a work-around to the Leagues current objections to club Membership schemes? Has the subject ever been raised by Alan Hardy and put to other clubs or the FL? Would be interested to know.

Cheers.

A few things:

1.) The student ID scheme that is run at Latics is done to stop people getting in cheaper than they should as student IDs have a reputation of being easy to fake. (This is not my experience of having a legitimate student ID for as long as I have). Yet, no one checks those who get in for being under a certain age actually are that age and quite a few posters on here admit doing so at other clubs and some even say they do it at BP.

2.) The student IDs which you have to pay for (£13), are offically only available if you are a student and under the age of 21, which does a fat lot of good if you do a course longer than 3 years or if you take a gap year (a lot more common now than it was when the board were of the age to go to uni). Having said that I'm aware from personal experience that Mr. Hardy will accept applications from students who are over 21. (Might have helped that I was doing medicine, he might not be so keen if you were doing other degrees but I would hope not).

3.) Manchester is a huge student city, (especially if you include the likes of Salford), which attracts students from all over the country. Some of those students will fancy watching a game of professional football at an affordable price within easy travelling of where they live every now and then, especially when the student loan has just come in. That leaves Wigan, Bolton, Dale, Bury, Stockport and us (with the odd City game as well). Having done a bit of research its unclear from their online info how many give a student discount on production of a valid NUS card but if they don't it means less competition for us.

4.) During my research I discovered something, Wolves give a student discount if the student has a valid NUSextra card, this card is available to all students (including those at 6th form) and comes with "exclusive discounts" at shops which don't necessarily have an educational purpose (e.g. McDonalds). That only costs £11/year, so £2 cheaper than the scheme we use (and ours only gets the benefit of cheap entry at Boundary Park and looks very very cheap). I've not seen one so I wouldn't be able to comment on how easy it would be to forge one (probably not easy given the list of places you can get a discount). It should be something for the fan's representative to put forward. Especially as it would reduce the administration costs significantly.

Being honest Barry, I think sometimes people see your username and think "nice one, chance for another pop"...I really can't understand the bed-wetting over your comments (on this occasion). However, I will add that some of the comments in the Chron have been discussed on here, whether they've been missed or dismissed in the past then at least they're being looked at now.

Also, I've made a point on this post about Membership schemes. I have been replied to saying the league scrapped them due to clubs abusing the use of them against away fans. Therefore, I've suggested a 2-tiered Membership scheme which can be used for all clubs...is this something that's ever been discussed as a work-around to the Leagues current objections to club Membership schemes? Has the subject ever been raised by Alan Hardy and put to other clubs or the FL? Would be interested to know.

Cheers.

Thanks BB. Not well up on the background to membership schemes but I will do my research and come back to you. Please bear with me. I think that we have looked at the many issues before but I am pleased we are becoming more transparent which allows fans to be inclusive and not just customers.

A step in the right direction. !!!!!!

Barry

OK that was me. I didn't take offense at it, and I'll admit I was being picky (and my grammar is far from the best so I'd hate to think of what some could do to my posts) but having the fans referred to as you doesn't inspire confidence that you take our views seriously. I've not seen the specific emails from readers of the Chron but it would come at no surprise to me that ALL of their ideas have been suggested on here (most more than once), the one mentioned in the article certainly has. There is evidence that those on the board have taken some of the ideas suggested on here and used them in the past (or its coincidence). However, the Chron portrays it as their ideas are NOW being taken on board because they came through the Chron. (The little addition at the bottom of the article certainly doesn't help me feel the Chron comes up with its own questions either :grin: )

Another thing I said which you seemed to have disregarded. So let me see if I can explain it better, with an example, say the club has 5000 fans, 2000 are on this site, 3000 get the Chron but 500 get both the Chron and are on here. That leaves 500 fans who are not on here and don't get the Chron, how are their suggestions going to be accounted for, I even gave you a suggestion of how to do it. (I know this is a simplifised version but I hope you can see my point)

The chron is a local paper for Oldham, it is hard to get a copy in quite a few areas not in Oldham MBC. But consistently the Chron is deemed sufficent advertising for the club (or for stuff like this). I have said this many times on here but now I have your attention perhaps you might look at alternatives. I keep banging on about it as despite BP being the nearest football ground to where my parents live, me and my Dad (who is getting into his 30th season of watching Latics and corrupted his son a long time ago) used to travel with 3 others from his local pub. I am the only one on here and the Chron is not sold in the nearest Asda, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Marks and Spencer, Tesco nor in the local petrol station or any of the local newsagents. So please don't say this allows you the views of ALL the fans when I know this isn't true (Yes this is an examplar but it won't be the only case). I'll tell you what at the game tomorrow ask the people in the row behind the directors box how many have seen either the article in the Chron or the stuff on here, you may be surprised at the answer if you think that ALL latics fans have seen at least one.

Perhaps I was a bit touchy and I'm sorry for that. Sometimes what people mean and what they actually type don't quite align.

I do think it's good that you appear to be engaging more on owtb of late. Have you given any thought to a weekly blog updating us (fans who use a range of media) on all things Trust and boardroom?

The main issue is that a lot of good points have been made and I personally believe that the financial burden can be reduced with entry of a child via an adult. Again we have to consider those children who have paid for memberships this season.

There is no simple answer to our predicament and those who purchased a season ticket, on average pay less entry per game than many clubs.

With gates dwindling it is unfortunate that it is the few who pay the price. To survive, the maths have got to add up. Simple fact if we want a football club at a reasonable level. I don't always agree with OAFC0000 but he makes very valid points in the past about our survival and I would rather work within a affordable budget and maintain a football club than throw money at the club that we do not have. As we all know that only leads to one conclusion.

On a final point no one pays there way more than I do and my colleagues on the Trust will tell you it actually costs me money to do what I do. And before anyone asks my wife is also a paid up season ticket holder.

Regards

Barry

so if you consider how many fans bought season tickets,and how many kids bought membership....then add them up and come up with,nope we cant do offers for fear of upsetting them...

the kids one isnt just membership to boundry blues its a season ticket as well...

just look around bp this afternoon at how many empty seats there are,and think how much better it would be seeing them occupied even if its only a quid or 2....its all extra income.....

just look across from the main stand at how sad and sorry the burnt out section is(why hasnt it been removed yet???) then at the massive hording were the stand used to be....the club are missing out on potential advertising revenue no matter how big or small it maybe....

you have said its not financially viable to sort the burnt out sponsors suite out as were moving to failsworth...openly admitted as maybe in 3 years time....so how can the club afford to miss out for the next 3 years on income from either season tickets or corporate?????

it just winds me up all the bleating about attendances being down n not having any money to do this that and the other....but then openly shooting yourself in the foot by not doing something...

if i was a season ticket holder....and you put an offer on of 3 for 30 or the like i wouldnt give a toss...i paid my money at the time of purchase,done and dusted,id rather see a fuller ground and if they got in a bit cheaper so what....

just look around bp this afternoon at how many empty seats there are,and think how much better it would be seeing them occupied even if its only a quid or 2....its all extra income.....

if i was a season ticket holder....and you put an offer on of 3 for 30 or the like i wouldnt give a toss...i paid my money at the time of purchase,done and dusted,id rather see a fuller ground and if they got in a bit cheaper so what....

I've got a ST, I'm not bothered about offers, but...

We have a certain number of "pay on the day"s - if you drop the admission price, you might (will) get more fans in, but you do reduce takings. This is where a baalance is needed. I'm not convined dropping prices by £2 / £3 will make much difference, but you can't drop them much further before you risk reducing overall income.

A 3 for £30 might also see revenue drop. If 2000 were going anyway at £18, that would be £18 x 3 x 2000 = £162k

If an extra 2000 take up a 3 for £30 offer, the revenue would be £30 x 4000 = £120k. A reduction of £42k. Even if the club was taking the profit on pie / beer sales (which they don't) you'd need to make £3.50 of PROFIT from each of them, at each of the games to make it back. The 50p (?) profit on a pint / bottle of pop (after cost price, wages, ect) won't really make it up.

everyone talks about how expensive it is watching latics at home and dont get me wrong it is, but a couple of weeks ago, while in Devon on holiday i paid £20.00 to watch Torquay v Bradford .and that was the cheapest seat ..so i dont think our prices are too bad considering....