Woolas Vs Watkins

Yard Dog

Really? Maybe it is most. But a substantial minority probably aren't.

It would only take 52.

Cheers for that. I was struggling with the maths. It's always confusing when there's an odd number involved - or even an even one.

Who's to say whether any voters were duped? The two judges, who don't know anything about politics and who have no modern precedent to go on? Watkins, who's obviously quite seriously interested in proving that people were so duped?

There are two types of politicians: those who take MI5's advice and those who think it doesn't matter. The ones who think it doesn't matter clearly lose elections, albeit narrowly.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've finally sussed all this macho bull**** you're coming out with tulsehill.

You think you're in The Thick Of It don't you.

You think you're Malcolm ****ing Tucker.

You're not. You're the ****ing arsewipe tea bot who gets told to **** off to Starbucks while the grown ups swear at each other.

You're a ****ing wet tea towel.

Now **** off.

Edited by garcon

I meant tea boy, but I think tea bot is funnier. :wink:

Even if you do say so yourself. It's funny how quickly the pills work these days isn't it?

Anyway, I've looked into it, and so far as I can tell, because the Representation of the People Act 1983 was a consolidation measure, section 106 (or any other section or schedule) was not debated in either House - it passed all stages in the Commons in about a minute.

That means that you'd have to go back beyond that to find out what the law actually means, which means that in effect, the judges in this case will be making the law. That's not unusual, but it might not be great for Woolas (or elections in general). He might get caught out because today's standards more or less all contravene a measure meant to police elections in a more innocent age.

I'd love it if he won this one though. Love it.

Elwyn now:

Crying-Baby-456517.jpg

...and in happier times...

8.jpeg

Even if you do say so yourself. It's funny how quickly the pills work these days isn't it?

Anyway, I've looked into it, and so far as I can tell, because the Representation of the People Act 1983 was a consolidation measure, section 106 (or any other section or schedule) was not debated in either House - it passed all stages in the Commons in about a minute.

That means that you'd have to go back beyond that to find out what the law actually means, which means that in effect, the judges in this case will be making the law. That's not unusual, but it might not be great for Woolas (or elections in general). He might get caught out because today's standards more or less all contravene a measure meant to police elections in a more innocent age.

Interesting. Maybe a precedent will be set.

How terriboly Keggie Keegle of you... :lol:

Although I still think the odds are probably in Woolas' favour.

Elwyn now:

Crying-Baby-456517.jpg

...and in happier times...

8.jpeg

Pesky Duke of Wellington and Marshall Blucher stopping Napoleon imposing his code of politician-based law. It would be much better if Woolas and Watkins were more important than the judicial system

Alls I'm saying is that legislative proposals get tested in Parliament before they become law. At some point, a Government Minister may well have explained the meaning of section 106, but not in 1982 or since. It just might be that the nation's electoral mores may have changed since the law was last considered.

Alls I'm saying is that legislative proposals get tested in Parliament before they become law. At some point, a Government Minister may well have explained the meaning of section 106, but not in 1982 or since. It just might be that the nation's electoral mores may have changed since the law was last considered.

Excellent, a chance for it to be freshened up under our present common law. I note that murder is still against the law despite Parliament only tinkering around the edges of it.

politicians taking each other to court for lying, the day was officially declared christmas for barristers. from what ive seen/heard its nothing that shocks me, we all know this thing goes on all the time with all politicians, they tend not to accuse each other of stuff though in fear of them being found out themselves for doing the same sort of things

If it's libellous, he should pursue a libel case, rather than using some previously ignored crybaby statute.

Besides, misrepresenting a Liberal's policies is almost impossible, given that they're willing to betray almost any principle for the sake of being in government.

what he said x 2 zillion

politicians taking each other to court for lying, the day was officially declared christmas for barristers. from what ive seen/heard its nothing that shocks me, we all know this thing goes on all the time with all politicians, they tend not to accuse each other of stuff though in fear of them being found out themselves for doing the same sort of things

Exactly. If Woolas is found to be in the wrong, the proverbial can of worms is open.

Another Liberal, one Sandra Gidley as I recall, was thinking of pursuing a similar case somewhere in Hampshire. Her Tory opponent won narrowly and spent most of the campaign telling everyone she was a serious Christian. After the election, it turned out she'd had an affair with some punter. Gidley claimed that that was playing the electorate false. If Watkins wins, she's got a case. Her and so many others.

If Watkins wins, nearly every election in a marginal seat will get fought once through the ballot box and again through the courts.

• 2 weeks later...

The latest (reported in the MEN but not the Chronic) is that Watkins is already hiring interns for the campaign. He is also threatening to walk away from politics if he doesn't win the case.

I'd book him for contempt of court for pre-emptying the court's judgment. And if I were in Oldham East and Saddleworth I'd make a mental note not to vote for someone who cries off if results don't go his way. Giving up easy is not a quality people need in their elected representatives.

I ain't saying nothing more about Watkins - but that doesn't mean there isn't more.

You'll be telling us he's paying those interns less than the minimum wage next... then he might chase you through the courts too! :lol:

Knowing something about the way the Lib Dem party operates its campaigns (and therefore that the original story about payment of interns was a ridiculous pack of lies), I would take that MEN report with a healthy pinch of salt.

As for threatening to walk away from politics, they're not entirely right there either. I'm assuming he'll stand if the courts decide the vote must be re-run, but I think it's safe to say he's had his eyes opened to a world he doesn't much care for. Whether he loses the case or the re-election, he has already told the local party he won't be standing again. Which is a shame, because he had the makings of a good constituency MP.

You'll be telling us he's paying those interns less than the minimum wage next... then he might chase you through the courts too! :lol:

Knowing something about the way the Lib Dem party operates its campaigns (and therefore that the original story about payment of interns was a ridiculous pack of lies), I would take that MEN report with a healthy pinch of salt.

As for threatening to walk away from politics, they're not entirely right there either. I'm assuming he'll stand if the courts decide the vote must be re-run, but I think it's safe to say he's had his eyes opened to a world he doesn't much care for. Whether he loses the case or the re-election, he has already told the local party he won't be standing again. Which is a shame, because he had the makings of a good constituency MP.

Like I said earlier - welcome to politics. What did he think it was going to be like?

He looks like a big baby and he acts like one.

Like I said earlier - welcome to politics. What did he think it was going to be like?

He looks like a big baby and he acts like one.

He didn't expect his opponent to make up deeply offensive and personal lies about him, to slander and libel him at every opportunity, and generally go to such obscene and desperate lengths to cling on to his seat.

It's a sad day for politics and democracy when that kind of behaviour is legal, let alone acceptable.

The electorate might well prefer a candidate with a thicker skin. But surely it isn't too hopelessly old fashioned of me to think they might also prefer someone who isn't a barefaced, self-serving liar.

Woolas is the most cowardly example of the kind of utter scum infesting parliament who have long forgotten that they are supposed to be servants of the people.

It's hardly any wonder so many people just don't give a :censored: any more.