Ticket Prices - A suggestion

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It isn't just me... and your standard arsey response is directed at anyone who makes comments about why they are not currently going...

I'm a bit old fashioned like that, if you call yourself a fan and you can afford it and are geographically able to go then go, you are supposed to be a fan remember.

You pay your £20 or buy you ST, good for you... But people like you might want to think about the negative effect you radiate to other fans, a lot of them lapsed fans...

Cheers I will continue to buy my ST and go, thanks for allowing it. <_<

As you reserve the right never to go and think up a million reasons not to go, I reserve the right to go.

I wouldn't want to return to BP at the moment to sit next to super fans like you look down there nose...

The feeling is very much mutual, I wouldn't want to be sat next to someone moaning from start to finish about how bad the club is, how bad the ground is, how cold the pies are etc etc etc.

As for having arguments that is what happens here. We aren't all going to agree.. But you are totally unconstructive when people want to talk about why they aren't coming. If you have nothing of use to add to the debate, don't comment! Your childish rants are boring...

You're the only person I've every really felt the need to consistently argue with on here.

Your opinion is that we should like lemmings keep jumping off the cliff might be shared by some people on here but its tired line and the club is dieing, with opinions like yours dragging it down...

My opinion is if you call yourself a supporter then you should support your club, don't spend 10 hours a day and 10,000 posts telling us constantly why you don't.

Nothing is going to change is it... :(

No its isn't.

To some extent it doesn't really matter what the club does, it can bend over backwards and jump through hoops to try and please some 'fans' but it will never be enough.

Some 'fans' will always find another reason not to attend, if they don't want to go then they don't want to go.

They prefer to spend 10 hours a day on here telling us how crap the club, the ground and everything OAFC is etc etc etc.

Quite apart from the childishness that follows this post, my reason for not attending is playing football. As I'm not willing to give that up but want to put some money in the club's coffers I'd be willing to invest in short to medium term (around 5 games) because I should be able to make that through cancelled games in winter and tuesday nights. I'm not going to make 10 games, but I'd be willing to take a punt on 5, if I don't make them then I end up out of pocket.

As for the emphasis you put on the word fans, I'd just like to say that smarmy attitudes like that make you out to be a total tool. I don't owe Oldham Athletic anything; if anything the countless hours spent discussing them and the thousands spaffed on watching them mean they owe me. If the club is crap, or the ground is, or everything OAFC is then I have the right to say so if I want. Holier than thou mutterings usually mean that you just haven't the wit to form a proper opinion.

The problem with the 10-game ticket is the large initial outlay. If you just paid full price for nine games and got the tenth free, I'm sure more of the casual fans might start turning up again. You could also offer cheaper season tickets to people who'd been to x many games. It's all about incentives. Before you know it, the likes of OAFC0000 are back in the main stand every game, moaning to their heart's content.

If you do the 9 game buy ticket for the tenth free.. its the exact same of buying your ticket in advance for £18 over 10 games..

5 games for £80 makes it more of a saving for the fan (but the tickets can not be allowed for a local derby (rochdale hudders sheff wed etc.., especially when we give the away fans the entire RRE)

3 /4 year season tickets - what would be the point?

a one-off cash injection? Then what does the club do for money in the subsequent years?

Let's say you get 500 people who go for it, and apart from these 500, the rest brings in £1.25m. They'd normally put in £150k every year giving you £1.4m. You do a 5 year ticket and get £750k off them, giving you £2m to play with. You spend it all and we don't go up. Year 2 you're £150k down on your standard budget, but you're actually £750k down on last years budget, cos you've only got the £1.25m from the rest. Completely goosed.

Edited by real

a one-off cash injection? Then what does the club do for money in the subsequent years?

Let's say you get 500 people who go for it, and apart from these 500, the rest brings in £1.25m. They'd normally put in £150k every year giving you £1.4m. You do a 5 year ticket and get £750k off them, giving you £2m to play with. You spend it all and we don't go up. Year 2 you're £150k down on your standard budget, but you're actually £750k down on last years budget, cos you've only got the £1.25m from the rest. Completed goosed.

Exactly what I posted earlier in the thread...

Exactly what I posted earlier in the thread...

Just thought i'd put some figures on it to illustrate the extent of the problem. Like you said though, you could budget the receipts across 5 years, but what would be the point - only those who would have renew year on year would go for it.

How about a ticket office in the stands available at half-time - that might get some sales (if we are winning!) - get the buy-in-advance rate for the next game?

:lol:

I sat in there for my only game of last season... Never again :) Would be Rochdale Road end :)

Seriously though. If you went to four games and got the fifth free, would you go back?

Lancashire do a special membership deal for people who live more than 60 miles from OT. Would a 10-game discount ticket get them back?

Seriously though. If you went to four games and got the fifth free, would you go back?

Lancashire do a special membership deal for people who live more than 60 miles from OT. Would a 10-game discount ticket get them back?

The cost isn't an issue for me... I can afford it at £20 a game...

If you do the 9 game buy ticket for the tenth free.. its the exact same of buying your ticket in advance for £18 over 10 games..

5 games for £80 makes it more of a saving for the fan (but the tickets can not be allowed for a local derby (rochdale hudders sheff wed etc.., especially when we give the away fans the entire RRE)

True dat. Tomorrow my task is to work out whether the buy-four-get-one-free scheme would work out a bigger discount than ST renewal in May. It's going to be a long day, what with me and my maths.

Good idea exempting the more attractive games. It's the games agains Wycombe and such where you need the extra punters.

Quite apart from the childishness that follows this post, my reason for not attending is playing football. As I'm not willing to give that up but want to put some money in the club's coffers I'd be willing to invest in short to medium term (around 5 games) because I should be able to make that through cancelled games in winter and tuesday nights. I'm not going to make 10 games, but I'd be willing to take a punt on 5, if I don't make them then I end up out of pocket.

As for the emphasis you put on the word fans, I'd just like to say that smarmy attitudes like that make you out to be a total tool. I don't owe Oldham Athletic anything; if anything the countless hours spent discussing them and the thousands spaffed on watching them mean they owe me. If the club is crap, or the ground is, or everything OAFC is then I have the right to say so if I want. Holier than thou mutterings usually mean that you just haven't the wit to form a proper opinion.

As I said in my previous posts, if you want to go to matches then go, if not don't.

Not rocket science, is it?

Some of the suggestions made on this thread are totally impractical and unworkable from the clubs point of view.

Some people are at such great pains to justify why they don't go, they shouldn't feel the need to come on here to unburden themselves, if they don't want to go, simply don't go.

Let's say you get 500 people who go for it, and apart from these 500, the rest brings in £1.25m. They'd normally put in £150k every year giving you £1.4m. You do a 5 year ticket and get £750k off them, giving you £2m to play with. You spend it all and we don't go up. Year 2 you're £150k down on your standard budget, but you're actually £750k down on last years budget, cos you've only got the £1.25m from the rest. Completely goosed.

So have a bad season and next year we lose 200 or 300 S/T holders.

We are in exactly the situation you state above without trying anything.

And thats why with small minded people we will end up staying where we are , struggling along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I suppose we just sit by and wait for the knight in shining armour to arrive ??

Edited by losesome

I'm not at great pains to justify why I don't go - I live 250 miles away from the ground. I reckon one of the obstacles to more discount offers is ST holders who think that they and they alone are loyal to the club. If Cafe Nero can run a successful discount scheme, why can't football clubs?

And thats why with small minded people we will end up staying where we are , struggling along !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think we need to learn to walk before we learn to run, given the attendances at the moment. As was said earlier on here, lets start with trying to get fans to attend two on the bounce, and work from there.

Re the 3/5 year season ticket, just out of interest, how many fans do you think would take up this option if it was offered? I personally think that we wouldnt even get 100 fans.

I think we need to learn to walk before we learn to run, given the attendances at the moment. As was said earlier on here, lets start with trying to get fans to attend two on the bounce, and work from there.

Re the 3/5 year season ticket, just out of interest, how many fans do you think would take up this option if it was offered? I personally think that we wouldnt even get 100 fans.

I don't know 100 people with that sort of money just to pay out in one go, let alone Oldham fans.

Not quite sure how ST holders have become the baddies in this discussion.

Without the large injection of cash created by ST purchases at the time of year that it is our club and many, many others would be in a whole heap of trouble. Plus it is my commitment to the club I support. No more, no less - apart from the fact that I get the seat I want every game.

I am one and I am also a massive advocate of the club doing more to get the more casual fan through the gate and find some way of rewarding the regulars who either can't afford a ST or can't make best use of one. After all whether you attend or not you are Oldham fans and ok with me (just be nice to see a few more of you on the odd occasion).

Any incentive however needs to be matched against ST holders for 2 reasons. 1, it would be business suicide to create a core group of payers, and then produce an even better deal outside of this for both the short-term and long-term. 2, whatever their own motivation, these are the group of people who 99% of the time will be there come rain, shine or poor football.

Without a season ticket in hand I can guarantee that I wouldn't attend some of the games that I do. Travelling the 80+ mile round trip with businesses to run etc means that I have plenty of excuses not to go, but I do thanks to the fact I have a ST.

So by all means look at incentives with pricing (though as some point out, that is just one aspect that should be considered), but let's look at how we can make better use of the ST holders, incentivise the next generation of fans (personally I'm an advocate of under 10's free with a paying adult) and loyalty incentives for non-season ticket holders (as long as it is a clear, simple plan and doesn't impact on the incentive to buy ST).

As the facts prove, lower prices alone don't bring crowds back in anything like the numbers we need. So keep the ideas coming, but don't make ST holders out to be the bad guys

Fair enough - you'd be totally right to be cheesed off if you bought an ST and a better discount came along though. The ST discount should always be the best offer out there, but a lot of ST holders, not including you, do resent any discounts or freebies given to the less committed fan.

I agree about under-10s, but the more attractive games should be all paying.

Just cos you don't know them doesn't mean to say there not out there !!!!!!!!!

so, go on, how many do you think?

I'd day 100 is a bit generous. Better to be small-minded (nice touch that considering I'd started the thread with ideas about increasing gates) than pea-brained though isn't it?

You seem to be advocating the "splurge it all in 1 year" approach, which is erm, well, a bit Chris Moore?

You really, seriously think people will commit £1500 for a 5 year ticket? Or do you propose a discount for the 5 year ticket? To what £250 a year; £1250?

get a poll up if you like - ST Holders only - Would you buy a 5 year ticket upfront with no guarantees and with all the cash spent in year 1?

Yes-

No-

Edited by real

We lose 200/300 - call it 250 - income drops by £75k. We have £1.325m income.

Ok, let's see what happens with your way -we splurge the cash, but we don't go up. We have to lose £750k of wages - How many will renew then? When all the "stars" get shipped out to cut the wage bill? In year 2 we have £150k less to spend than the normal budget; £1.25m - that's £75k LESS than we'd have losing 250 STs alone, but we lose 250 STs due to the budget cuts. We now have £1.175m.

Of course IF we go up it would all be different. But you're advocating a 1 year gamble that has a downside of 4 years pain, during which we would slide down and down.

How much would YOU gamble?

Not quite sure how ST holders have become the baddies in this discussion.

Without the large injection of cash created by ST purchases at the time of year that it is our club and many, many others would be in a whole heap of trouble. Plus it is my commitment to the club I support. No more, no less - apart from the fact that I get the seat I want every game.

I am one and I am also a massive advocate of the club doing more to get the more casual fan through the gate and find some way of rewarding the regulars who either can't afford a ST or can't make best use of one. After all whether you attend or not you are Oldham fans and ok with me (just be nice to see a few more of you on the odd occasion).

Any incentive however needs to be matched against ST holders for 2 reasons. 1, it would be business suicide to create a core group of payers, and then produce an even better deal outside of this for both the short-term and long-term. 2, whatever their own motivation, these are the group of people who 99% of the time will be there come rain, shine or poor football.

Quite right - like I said earlier you cannot undercut the core support and ST holders would be quite right to be disaffected by any offers superior to the one that they have paid a great deal for.

I'd be interested to know how our attendances would be affected by playing more games on week nights or potentially sundays. While the latter wouldn't be my choice, I do enjoy night games and especially the novelty of Friday games. Plus I'd be able to go to Latics and play on a saturday. Indeed, I'm eagerly awaiting a tuesday game this year that I can get to!

On a slightly divergent topic, one of the biggest things that could affect our season will be the FA Cup. A good performance therein would be a massive financial boost and could be a momentum builder for increasing attendances if we can get people in for a glamour tie and play well.