Ticket Prices - A suggestion

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My communist idea would be to pool money from away gate receipts and give every club an equal share. That would be the thin end of the wedge for all gate receipts going in the pot.

When you bear in mind that the Premier League clubs can effectively operate without their gate receipts, that would be the fairest way to redistribute the wealth. Sadly it would never happen and tbh we are getting to the stage where England can no longer support it's 92 team four professional leagues. (More pro teams if you count the mostly pro Conference and a few in the Northern and Southern Blue Square) Somethings got to give, the big boys won't share but the make up of League One is killing the northern clubs, whilst the southerners are cashing in. Surely its time for a regional league? League One North and South and the Championship. I also think that non-league clubs should not be allowed to be full-time, teams like Crawley are making a mockery of what the pyramid system stands for.

This is a really difficult issue for the club, as shown by the diversity of responses posted. The bottom line is that you cannot discount season tickets under the banner of saving the club because it would just be so grossly unfair on those who have already bought them. We saw that with the reactions to the Grimsby game and attempts to bolster support in the seasons after that - every initiative was met with a mixture of praise and annoyance, but the annoyed fans were the club's core support.

My suggestion would be some form of membership if the league allowed it (I know there were some atrociously bent regulations against this at one time), whereby I could pay a twenty or thirty pound subscription and get a few quid off every week. I'm not mad keen on just giving the club money for nothing but nor can I make saturday games - a solution would be thirty quid to the club, two or three quid a match of the entry fee (which probably would not suffice to make me break even but would be a benefit I can feel) and maybe a discount in the club shop or on something or other. Obviously any discounts would be extended to season ticket holders.

That way I can contribute, but I am still able to see something for my money rather than feel like I am giving charity to the club.

Or 5 game match booklets at a slight discount, that can be redeemed before games on a first come, first served basis? So I buy £90 of tickets and have to find the time to make 5 games throughout the season? And with the disadvantage against ST's that I don't have a designated seat and if a big game arrives I queue up.

When you bear in mind that the Premier League clubs can effectively operate without their gate receipts, that would be the fairest way to redistribute the wealth. Sadly it would never happen and tbh we are getting to the stage where England can no longer support it's 92 team four professional leagues. (More pro teams if you count the mostly pro Conference and a few in the Northern and Southern Blue Square) Somethings got to give, the big boys won't share but the make up of League One is killing the northern clubs, whilst the southerners are cashing in. Surely its time for a regional league? League One North and South and the Championship. I also think that non-league clubs should not be allowed to be full-time, teams like Crawley are making a mockery of what the pyramid system stands for.

The thing is with the proffesional clubs issue and you use the example of Crawley is that whoever runs that club will make that decision they don't have to go proffesional but that/those owners will decide to even though it will be far more costly financially to do so

Why?

People like the idea of running football clubs and want to own football clubs that win. I read an article from one investment banker might have been someone involved in the Red Knights, when people look to invest in football clubs they tell them not to bother due to how costly financially and to someones reputation that they can be yet Rich men still look to buy football clubs because they want to be part of football. Its this twisted Logic that has meant that their are 92 proffesional clubs most of which have spent well over 100 years losing money and have still been around, and despite the economic downturn they are still there losing money.

It does however put football clubs at the mercy and football fans at the mercy of football club owners. Only last week our company had to write off £100 to Portsmouth FC becasue they couldn't afford to pay it.

All these ideas of offering cheap match day tickets and 5 or 10 game books etc are a none starter.

New supporters or older stayaway ones wont lay out that type of money until they know what they can expect.

Plus the people that would buy them are the ones that are paying £20 each week anyway so the gatemoney would go down ?

A lot of damage has been done by Penny and it will take it a long time to repair.

The only way latics can survive is to get more people throug the gate but sadly reducing prices will not achieve that.

Playing entertaining football will but it will take time .

Latics should be looking at various things-

1/ 3 or 5 year S/T as i said in earlier posts , for those that can afford them.

This could give a pre season injection of cash to help team building.

2/ Far more free tickets distributed in schools /sports clubs etc . Some will bring parents who will pay full price and hopfully spend some money.

More importantly it may develop tomorrows S/T holders.

3/ Some family entertainment on match days , sadly lacking these days at football grounds.

entice people to get there earlier so more chance of spending money.

A successful team will obviously bring the crowds back but meantime the club have got to do a lot more to get families and kids back through the gates.

Edited by losesome

I think the club could be a bit more creative with ticket prices and enticements - such as a membership scheme or non-ST loyalty discounts like people have suggested. They could sort out the details this season and publish the new prices before anyone renews STs, just so no one gets to moan about it. Maybe it won't get more in, but it's got to be worth a try no?

All these ideas of offering cheap match day tickets and 5 or 10 game books etc are a none starter.

New supporters or older stayaway ones wont lay out that type of money until they know what they can expect.

Plus the people that would buy them are the ones that are paying £20 each week anyway so the gatemoney would go down ?

A lot of damage has been done by Penny and it will take it a long time to repair.

The only way latics can survive is to get more people throug the gate but sadly reducing prices will not achieve that.

Playing entertaining football will but it will take time .

Latics should be looking at various things-

2/ Far more free tickets distributed in schools /sports clubs etc . Some will bring parents who will pay full price and hopfully spend some money.

More importantly it may develop tomorrows S/T holders.

3/ Some family entertainment on match days , sadly lacking these days at football grounds.

entice people to get there earlier so more chance of spending money.

A successful team will obviously bring the crowds back but meantime the club have got to do a lot more to get families and kids back through the gates.

Oldham's attendances were falling before Penney weren't they? I think it is far too simplistic to blame him for everything that has gone wrong at BP - go back to Grimsby and you see our real issue. A full house watches us for free and we bag 6, but so few of them bothered to turn up again.

In hindsight when the owners had the money to bankroll us we should have tried reducing the costs to be dirty cheap and tried to fill the place, but now we are stuck in a stick or twist dilemma where if we try it and it fails we lose income we cannot cover. That's why I would like the membership; then I could pledge support in a meaningful way and get something back from it if I chose to go. I don't see why the cheaper tickets can't work in a booklet - yes the attending fans might take advantage but if you are only knocking a couple of pounds off then you aren't going to cripple us and it wouldn't take many more taking the offer up to alleviate any potential losses. We also have to factor in that it is good for the team to play in front of bigger crowds and so even if we lost a few quid but boosted the attendance we might see a performance benefit and then have that followed by further increases in the support? Who knows?

The lower part of the main stand should be £15 all matches whatever the match, Atleast that way you know whatever the weather what your paying for.

Actually that's not a bad shout and its one of the things we lost with the Lookers being knocked down. Somewhere where those who wanted to watch Latics could watch them for cheaper because "They may get wet", don't sell season tickets there but reduce the price and only offer the basic facilities (food but no booze). If we get a big local club in the cup at home it might pay for itself (especially if we have to give them the whole of the RRE).

So why do you think this would be successful?

I'm a firm believer that a flexible multiple game match ticket, e.g. 5 or 10 games, would sign people up to attending games when at the moment they just don't quite manage to find the enthusiam on a cold Saturday or wet Tuesday night.

You make a big push for sales when things are going well - e.g. after the Notts County game would have been great.

£90 for 5 games. £170 for 10 games (might need to be slightly cheaper, but somewhere between season ticket cost per match and £18 advance ticket price). No reserved seat. In the unlikely event of a potential sell out match they are not guaranteed admission but have a time window to reserve a seat for no extra charge.

More appealing to the lapsed season ticket holder than trying to get them to commit themselves to 2015.

So why do you think this would be successful?

I'm a firm believer that a flexible multiple game match ticket, e.g. 5 or 10 games, would sign people up to attending games when at the moment they just don't quite manage to find the enthusiam on a cold Saturday or wet Tuesday night.

You make a big push for sales when things are going well - e.g. after the Notts County game would have been great.

£90 for 5 games. £170 for 10 games (might need to be slightly cheaper, but somewhere between season ticket cost per match and £18 advance ticket price). No reserved seat. In the unlikely event of a potential sell out match they are not guaranteed admission but have a time window to reserve a seat for no extra charge.

More appealing to the lapsed season ticket holder than trying to get them to commit themselves to 2015.

------------

The 3 or 5 years S/T is aimed at current S/T holders who can afford that . it will give the club an injection of cash to help transfers.

The stayaway fans wont commit to 5 or 7 games tickets when they wont even come and buy one at the moment !!!

The people that would buy them are probably the ones paying £20 now who perhaps couldn't afford a S/T.

It all aimed at getting new faces in the gates and just offering cheaper tickets wont do that.

Whats on the pitch and maybe some family entertainment will entice more fans in on a regular basis and if PD could start next season with a bit of a transfer pot then we might be successful in achieving something on the pitch .

Edited by losesome

I think a five year season ticket would be of great interest to a lot of people... That said, I think its a dangerous thing for our long term survival. What happens if everything goes tits up ? Five years ST money disappears...

I think someone just hit the nail on the head... Why would someone like me commit to seven to ten games if I won't come to one at the moment ?

All this talk of tickets prices is a red herein... Its all about the product / experience and little to do with price...

• Rebuild the clayton
  • Rebuild a fourth stand
  • Provide resonably entertaining football

Basically undo the last 5 to 16 years...

Straight away Latics would become more enjoyable...

Edited by oafc0000

------------

The 3 or 5 years S/T is aimed at current S/T holders who can afford that . it will give the club an injection of cash to help transfers.

The stayaway fans wont commit to 5 or 7 games tickets when they wont even come and buy one at the moment !!!

The people that would buy them are probably the ones paying £20 now who perhaps couldn't afford a S/T.

It all aimed at getting new faces in the gates and just offering cheaper tickets wont do that.

Whats on the pitch and maybe some family entertainment will entice more fans in on a regular basis and if PD could start next season with a bit of a transfer pot then we might be successful in achieving something on the pitch .

3 or 5 year season tickets would work for the fans but not the club. The club lives from hand to mouth as it as, so although there would be a short-term injection of funds but what about the year after when the club has already had its money for that year and spent it? I know you'll say save and budget but that just wouldn't happen as costs continually present themselves. The 5-10 game ticket will work, a lot of posters on here have mentioned firm interest and I don't believe such a scheme would affect the ST base we already have. Many clubs do this to great success but Darth Hardy just can't be arsed implementing it. His excuses for not doing so are particularly weak.

Just going back to your 3-5 year ST idea, what would happen if the club went into admin during that period? The club would be under no obligation to honour them. I'm sure similar controversy reared its head when Bradford offered 10 year ST when they were relegated from the Prem, then hit hardship.

Edited by oafcprozac

but are these people currently not coming to games ?

Some are paying full price for every game (you'd lose money on them).

Some aren't coming at all but would start coming again (you'd gain money big time on them, but it would be a modest gain).

Some are occasional followers (possibly lapsed season ticket holders, of which there are far too many) who come and go as they please. This is the floating audience that you want to get to commit to coming more often. This is where the gain is made from such an initiative. Sell 500 after the Notts County game and you get bigger crowds for Yeovil, Bristol Rovers and Bournemouth fixtures immediately. This is where the key impact and money making ability of the idea lies.

Edited by opinions4u

but are these people currently not coming to games ?

From what I remember, some have lapsed into casual fan status and a few mentioned that this sort of initiative might be the spark that brings them back every week. At least you have that commitment for the 5-10 games. It may work it may not, but at least the option will have been explored. The club is too interested at providing provision for 'expected' bigger away attendances from Tranmere, Huddersfield etc.. that often fail to materialise. Look after your own fans and you may just get them through the gate. Case in point was Notts County, 600 in an area that holds 3,000. It's this sort of thing that has alienated the fans, there's a lot of previous instances throughout my time where our fans have been shafted time and time again. In the 80s and early 90s fans had little choice but to bite the bullet. Now you can access football every minute of every day and the club has reaped what it has sowed. Football's moved on, this club hasn't and until the problem loosens his grip or retires, we never will....

Edited by oafcprozac

To some extent it doesn't really matter what the club does, it can bend over backwards and jump through hoops to try and please some 'fans' but it will never be enough.

Some 'fans' will always find another reason not to attend, if they don't want to go then they don't want to go.

They prefer to spend 10 hours a day on here telling us how crap the club, the ground and everything OAFC is etc etc etc.

To some extent it doesn't really matter what the club does, it can bend over backwards and jump through hoops to try and please some 'fans' but it will never be enough.

Some 'fans' will always find another reason not to attend, if they don't want to go then they don't want to go.

They prefer to spend 10 hours a day on here telling us how crap the club, the ground and everything OAFC is etc etc etc.

Or maybe people just want the owners to actual put a few things right ?

People are just be honest about why they don't want to come any more. When you do actual stop acting like a silly child and listen what people who came for 16 years none stop after the "glory" years before throwing in the towel you might actual realise they are trying to be constructive and point out exactly why they don't want to come.

You constantly say people like me will find any excuses... it really makes no sense...

Why would someone who followed the club for about 22 years suddenly want to destroy it ? stop being so stupid...

Edited by oafc0000

Or maybe people just want the owners to actual put a few things right ?

People are just be honest about why they don't want to come any more. When you do actual stop acting like a silly child and listen what people who came for 16 years none stop after the "glory" years before throwing in the towel you might actual realise they are trying to be constructive and point out exactly why they don't want to come.

You constantly say people like me will find any excuses... it really makes no sense...

Why would someone who followed the club for about 22 years suddenly want to destroy it ? stop being so stupid...

Don't be such a :censored:

I never said anything about anybody destroying the club.

I said the likes of you don't go because you don't want to go, end of.

Basically undo the last 5 to 16 years...

Now that's what I call f :censored:g stupid, you dopey :censored:.

Don't be such a :censored:

I never said anything about anybody destroying the club.

I said the likes of you don't go because you don't want to go, end of.

The reasons why people don't want to go are being spelt out in the hope that they might be put right. All we get from you is slagging off everyone for not being such a great fan as yourself...

Now that's what I call f :censored:g stupid, you dopey :censored:.

You really are a child...

The reasons why people YOU don't want to go are being spelt out in the hope that they might be put right. All we get from you is slagging off everyone for not being such a great fan as yourself...

ad nauseum, by you.

You really are a child...

:lol: That I guess is whats refererred to as "the kettle calling the pot grimey arse", there are very few people on here who you haven't had many an arguement with as you constantly get on their tits.

Edited by Hometownclub

It isn't just me... and your standard arsey response is directed at anyone who makes comments about why they are not currently going...

You pay your £20 or buy you ST, good for you... But people like you might want to think about the negative effect you radiate to other fans, a lot of them lapsed fans...

I wouldn't want to return to BP at the moment to sit next to super fans like you look down there nose...

As for having arguments that is what happens here. We aren't all going to agree.. But you are totally unconstructive when people want to talk about why they aren't coming. If you have nothing of use to add to the debate, don't comment! Your childish rants are boring...

Your opinion is that we should like lemmings keep jumping off the cliff might be shared by some people on here but its tired line and the club is dieing, with opinions like yours dragging it down...

Nothing is going to change is it... :(

Edited by oafc0000

The problem with the 10-game ticket is the large initial outlay. If you just paid full price for nine games and got the tenth free, I'm sure more of the casual fans might start turning up again. You could also offer cheaper season tickets to people who'd been to x many games. It's all about incentives. Before you know it, the likes of OAFC0000 are back in the main stand every game, moaning to their heart's content.