Terry Newton RL Player

Looks like it is true. The editor of RL Express has put it on his twitter page, so I'd guess it is true. Big shame. RIP Terry Newton.

*edit*

Confirmed on the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-11414736

Just about to add the BBC link, RIP - sad news drugs in sport are wrong but take away a man's livelihood and you destroy him.

Just about to add the BBC link, RIP - sad news drugs in sport are wrong but take away a man's livelihood and you destroy him.

Was at my brother's when the news broke and his reponse was "it's terrible but i'm not totally surprised, you could see something like this happening". He was always a bit unstable, and having his career effectively finished was never going to be easy for him to deal with. Absolutely hated him as a player, but no-one deserves this.

I liked him as a player (then again I'm not a posh scouser fan). Its sad that he took his own life but its not a major shock given the consequences of the stuff he was taking.

RIP

If you're ever passing through St Helens, try popping into one of the pubs in Thatto Heath and call them 'posh scousers'. Just to see what happens.

If you're ever passing through St Helens, try popping into one of the pubs in Thatto Heath and call them 'posh scousers'. Just to see what happens.

:lol:

his death was announced on BBC website as early as 4pm yesterday...

played to full extent of his abilities...20 odd GB caps....sad way to go...RIP Terry

I remember being sat in the stands at Central Park watching Saddleworth Rangers Vs Thatto Heath in a National Cup final in early '90s. Some big Thatto supporter was getting very upset with a Rangers supprter and screaming at him ' at least we're working class ' - I wouldn't have dared to tell him he was a 'posh scouser'.

I remember being sat in the stands at Central Park watching Saddleworth Rangers Vs Thatto Heath in a National Cup final in early '90s. Some big Thatto supporter was getting very upset with a Rangers supprter and screaming at him ' at least we're working class ' - I wouldn't have dared to tell him he was a 'posh scouser'.

My sister and brother-in-law live in Thatto Heath. We were going to have a drink in their local after getting back from Wembley for the Challenge Cup final in 2008, but when we got there it was closed, surrounded by police and one of the windows was boarded up. Apparently an argument over who was man of the match had got out of hand and someone threw a petrol bomb.

Anyway, back on topic....i hope the minute's silence is given the respect it deserves on Saturday, but i can't help feeling a minute's applause would have been safer.