IF Failsworth doesn't happen...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But are they interested whether it’s an attractive investment or not? As it stands they could sit tight, rake back their money by selling off BP and let those still running the club worry about its long term future.

Or they could sell BP, spend another £20 million on the new stadium and everything else, and still be in a position of trying to flog a football club no one may want to recoup some of their losses.

That unfortunately is what I happen to believe is our future.........the glass half empty view that i have is that once the loans have been called in & recouped by Blitz & Gazal after the sale of land at BP; that's it – they’re offski; and we're left as just a football club with a name; a sprinkling of players and no home to play at.

If (and it’s a massive ‘if’ as far as I can see) OAFC is still afloat after that period; we’ll be a nomadic club playing at whichever local (ish) grounds will have us. Take your pick from Spotland, Gigg Lane, or at that stage of affairs; grounds of a capacity of the likes of Hyde United, Staylebridge et all might just suffice.

Doom & gloom that may just be; but it’s what I happen to think is the likely outcome.

2 US / Cockney Businessmen with no prior discernable links to the club or area will surely want to recoup their outlay as quickly & seamlessly as possible surely; wont then want to plough back in said money & wait around an indeterminable amount of time for an investor to come in & buy the club and new ground as a package. As soon as the sale of the land at BP generates any semblance of money back for them; they’ll be off quicker than you can say ‘Keigan Parker missed the odd 1-on-1’.

2 US / Cockney Businessmen with no prior discernable links to the club or area will surely want to recoup their outlay as quickly & seamlessly as possible surely; wont then want to plough back in said money & wait around an indeterminable amount of time for an investor to come in & buy the club and new ground as a package. As soon as the sale of the land at BP generates any semblance of money back for them; they’ll be off quicker than you can say ‘Keigan Parker missed the odd 1-on-1’.

I guess if that's what everybody expects them to do, then one day that might be what they end up doing. At the moment, they are still looking at an exit that leaves us with a club and a ground and I'm still willing to cautiously believe them.

Of course that may be true sly, but the simepl fact is they had many, many opportunities to do that, even up to and after Simon Blitz left.

Any 8 years+ is not recouping their outlay as quickly and seamlessly as possible.

OF course, I am not saying the outlook is rosy, but it is not as bleak as some are painting, yet.

Most probably... I don't care about other football club... I was hoping Portsmouth would get wound up for example...

As a hard working tax payer, to be quite frank, they can kiss my arse...

And that is precisely why your argument of yesterday - that we should take a stand on salaries and others will follow - is nonsense.

Because the fans and owners alike of other clubs would be happy to sit back and watch us die.

And that is precisely why your argument of yesterday - that we should take a stand on salaries and others will follow - is nonsense.

Because the fans and owners alike of other clubs would be happy to sit back and watch us die.

Debt will kill this club... Managing the budget properly might see the club shrink but it wouldn't die...

That unfortunately is what I happen to believe is our future.........the glass half empty view that i have is that once the loans have been called in & recouped by Blitz & Gazal after the sale of land at BP; that's it – they’re offski; and we're left as just a football club with a name; a sprinkling of players and no home to play at.

If (and it’s a massive ‘if’ as far as I can see) OAFC is still afloat after that period; we’ll be a nomadic club playing at whichever local (ish) grounds will have us. Take your pick from Spotland, Gigg Lane, or at that stage of affairs; grounds of a capacity of the likes of Hyde United, Staylebridge et all might just suffice.

Doom & gloom that may just be; but it’s what I happen to think is the likely outcome.

My fears are the same as yours. I’ve always worried what would happen if the sums didn’t add up, i.e.; if the sale of BP brings in a lot less than Failsworth will cost, but now the owners have lost interest my worries are ten-fold.

Nobody knows what Blitz and Gazal’s intentions are, but when the official statement when they stood down said they’d ‘severed all ties’ with the club not long after they assured us they were going nowhere, I find it hard to see a happy outcome to all this. Especially when the questions keep going unanswered.

Debt will kill this club...

More than likely.

Managing the budget properly might see the club shrink but it wouldn't die...

You still don't see it do you. If it were really that simple don't you think someone might have tried it? Do you think they haven't been trying to "manage the budget properly" for the last 6 years?

Slash our budget and we lose even more attendees this season, and more again next season in League Two. We'd be constantly cutting to keep track with an ever decreasing attendance, which would carry on decreasing the worse we got on the pitch. We'd never break even, we'd simply end up dying anyway.

Forget football, I'll put it in the simplest business terms I can. There comes a point where you simply can't cut base cost any further without ruining the quality of the product and landing yourself in an irreversible downward sales spiral. On that path lies only liquidation.

More than likely.

You still don't see it do you. If it were really that simple don't you think someone might have tried it? Do you think they haven't been trying to "manage the budget properly" for the last 6 years?

Slash our budget and we lose even more attendees this season, and more again next season in League Two. We'd be constantly cutting to keep track with an ever decreasing attendance, which would carry on decreasing the worse we got on the pitch. We'd never break even, we'd simply end up dying anyway.

Forget football, I'll put it in the simplest business terms I can. There comes a point where you simply can't cut base cost any further without ruining the quality of the product and landing yourself in an irreversible downward sales spiral. On that path lies only liquidation.

You are coming from the point of view you that you have to pay footballers the excessive levels of pay they don't deserve... I simply reject that idea... Put the youth team out... Put 11 fans on the pitch if you have too...

If everyone sods off then we don't deserve a football club...

There is no other alternative in reality and we need to accept it sooner or later. If there is, tell me what it is ?

Edited by oafc0000

As I've clearly said before, excessive players'wages are the biggest single financial issue in lower league football.

However, if we did what you suggest - noble as it may seem - everyone will sod off and we won't have a club.

There is no viable alternative. That's why the majority of lower league clubs are perpetually on the brink.

As I've clearly said before, excessive players'wages are the biggest single financial issue in lower league football.

However, if we did what you suggest - noble as it may seem - everyone will sod off and we won't have a club.

There is no viable alternative. That's why the majority of lower league clubs are perpetually on the brink.

Even the self confessed super fans ? :wink:

I think clubs like Wimbledon FC prove you wrong to an extent... We might have to shrink but we wouldn't die...

Edited by oafc0000

All 200 of them.

And some of them will have to play... :shock:

To be quite frank, its a lot more bloody appealing to me personal than this joke situation at the moment :) Throwing money into a greedy black hole...

thought long and hard of popping down to Warrington FC lately, but its latics or nothing in the end...

Edited by oafc0000

To an extent we might actually be in agreement there.

In lots of ways I think I'd rather see the current club quickly put out of its misery and then join in the optimism and momentum of supporting a brand new club from the second division of the Manchester League upwards, dreaming of one day winning a local derby with Oldham Borough! :lol:

Or I might just go and watch Wilmslow Albion instead. Or Manchester RU for that matter.

Something's got to give though, the list of free-agents increases year on year. Sooner or later the power in football will shift back to the clubs.

Something's got to give though, the list of free-agents increases year on year. Sooner or later the power in football will shift back to the clubs.

Exactly... We have to make sure we are still here when that happens... As it stands I don't think we will be...

Why would you want to delete it?

And in answer to your question, because once you've posted it it doesn't belong to you.

Having taken the time to post in this thread I would be very unhappy if the starter chose to delete it.

it's become a carbon copy of several others we've had these last few days and weeks

suprised it hasn't been merged

That's a fair point, and partly my fault I guess.

It's all kind of linked and relevant though.

If Failsworth doesn't happen, unless some sugar daddy arrives with enough cash to buy the owners out and redevelop Boundary Park, in short, I think we're fooked.