What next............................

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If it does kick off, I can't imagine by the time 2036 rolls around I'd personally still be holding a grudge. Seems like such a waste of energy.

As argued previously its not really a great taker up of energy to have a grudge against a football team. In fact, it's quite normal - for a football fan - to not care for another club.

It was an horrendous day, fighting breaking out in Oldham town centre and then rioting began around 1 hour before kickoff. Worst match I have ever been to when you really did feel like you where going to get hammered. I am sure the fa investigated the day because it was so bad and this was not that many years after Sheff Wed s went ape at BP aswell.fan

One of my first ever games was at BP for Latics v City.

Stood in the Lookers Paddock and Micky Quinn scored an absolute screamer.

Don't remember any crowd trouble though, but I assume that must have been 1984 or 1985.

I'm almost certain that must have been the game and I'm almost certain whoever took you must have heavily sedated you. People lying on the terracing unconcious with blood pouring out of their heads, ballboys being taken off crying after having coins thrown at them, running battles in the Chaddy from way before the game and then all the way through it, a hundred or so people watching the game standing on the touchline in front of the Chaddy because there was no effin way they were going back in there, people being brought round the pitch by the St.Johns Ambulance covered in blood, a ladder- being brought into the ground and being used to scale the upper Lookers (Martins? Ford?) Stand akin to medieval combat with people trying to topple it back into the mob. The only part of the ground there wasnt fighting and disorder was the Main Stand upper, 20000 people in the ground with what seemed like 5000 intent on punching people - and you were there and only remember the goal - I'm impressed :grin:

For those interested in those far off days here's the match report from The Sunday Times

CITY'S FIGHTING SPIRIT, ON AND OFF THE FIELD

In spite of having much of the play against lowly Oldham, Manchester City failed to make up any ground on Newcastle in third place in the second division yesterday. There was nothing wrong with their fighting spirit. After twice being behind,they earned a draw with a penalty 12 minutes from time in a typically tense local derby scarred by disturbing crowd trouble.

The worst scenes occurred in the 45 minutes before kick-off as City supporters ran riot. An advertising hoarding was torn down to provide missiles against a grossly undermanned police force. Hundreds stormed the Ford family stand, leaving scores of ticket-holders, some with young children, without their seats. A policeman, who was hit by a lump of concrete, was removed on a stretcher and taken to hospital.

The start was delayed by five minutes. Both teams contrived to control their nerves and play some enterprising football.

City looked the more likely team but their attacks foundered on the commanding presence of Kenny Clements who showing determination against his old club, marshalled his defence soundly. When Clements was beaten, Wealands gnerally proved equal to the demands, blocking Johnson's close-range effort and thwarting Baker as the City midfield player broke through.

Oldham celebrated that let-off by taking the lead in the twenty-third minute, Smith giving the ball away and Palmer shooting low past Williams. Although the stretchers were still in operation, that strike sparked further fighting on the terraces. It was stilled as City equalized nine minutes later. A corner was half-cleared to Bond whose prompt return was flicked by Johnson, leaving McCarthy with a simple and unchallenged header.

That goal suggested that City had taken control of the situation and they had the better of things for the next half-hour. But it was Oldham who scored as Lomax lost the ball to Quinn, whose chip left Williams stranded.

Hoolickin and Clements joined Quinn in Mr Mill's book as City's attacks stretched them to breaking point but they seemed to have ridden the worst when Clements tackled Parlance deep in the penalty area.

The tackle looked fair, but Mr Mills, whose handling was perhaps affected by the tension around him, awarded a penalty and Bond stepped up to claim the point.

Latics team for any nostalgia fans was -

Wealands, Sinclair,Buchan,Henry,Clements,Hoolickin,Ward,Colville,Quinn,Palmer,McBride

As argued previously its not really a great taker up of energy to have a grudge against a football team. In fact, it's quite normal - for a football fan - to not care for another club.

Don't let hatred wrap you in its dark shroud, Anakin.

One of my first ever games was at BP for Latics v City.

Stood in the Lookers Paddock and Micky Quinn scored an absolute screamer.

Don't remember any crowd trouble though, but I assume that must have been 1984 or 1985.

Maybe you spent the day unconcious after being on the recieving end of a good kicking and therefore remember none of the violence ? Perhaps you watched Quiny's curling shot on tv with Gerald Sinstadt ?

Maybe you spent the day unconcious after being on the recieving end of a good kicking and therefore remember none of the violence ? Perhaps you watched Quiny's curling shot on tv with Gerald Sinstadt ?

As long as he wasnt sat next to Sinstadt at the cinema* - that might explain the mental block

*-google him if you've forgotten that particular incident!

You dont even need to go back to the mid 80's for crowd trouble with Latics and Oldham. I remember plenty of games in the 90's against city were running battles in the Chaddy and Lookers were the norm when we played them. Horrible club!

Still remember one Oldham fan spitting on a city fan (who was with his little girl) and giving him a few cracks in the Paddock purely for shouting "Come on City!"

Still remember one Oldham fan spitting on a city fan (who was with his little girl) and giving him a few cracks in the Paddock purely for shouting "Come on City!"

The guy seems a bit of an idiot for shouting "Come on City" whilst being in the home end. Everyone knows that, if you're in the opposition end, you sit quietly and bite your tongue.

The guy seems a bit of an idiot for shouting "Come on City" whilst being in the home end. Everyone knows that, if you're in the opposition end, you sit quietly and bite your tongue.

My sentiments exactly, in fact there seems to have been trouble after the cup game in 2005. If you look on You Tube for prestonparasoccer I'm sure you'll find footgae of what's mainly handbags outside the old roxy.

My sentiments exactly, in fact there seems to have been trouble after the cup game in 2005. If you look on You Tube for prestonparasoccer I'm sure you'll find footgae of what's mainly handbags outside the old roxy.

I think that was all prearranged by consenting young men who like to vigorously thrash each other. Think some pub in Failsworth also saw some of that malarkey. Kinda kinky, kinda wrong but there you go.

What did strike me about the 2005 game was the general chilled ambience compared to yesteryear - I put it down to everyone just being a bit more grown up but now I see it was that we all love each other. For now and forever.

Indeed it is somewhat 'common knowledge' to keep schtum, but fighting over a football game is pathetic in the grand old scheme of things. It hardly warrants being punched and spat at - if he had turned to the guy and directed abuse at him personally I could understand but simply cheering a team on doesnt warrant being assaulted.

Especially when he's in there with his little girl.

cant believe some of the crap posted . if city fans want us as their 2nd team its ok?

its alright as long as we take the money!!! etc etc .

IF YOURE A TRUE OLDHAM FAN YOU HATE CITY FULL STOP.

Don't be ridiculous. That's like saying if you love England, you have to be racist.

I'm a true Oldham fan. I hate united. I don't hate city. I don't expect everyone else to have the same opinion.

It was an horrendous day, fighting breaking out in Oldham town centre and then rioting began around 1 hour before kickoff. Worst match I have ever been to when you really did feel like you where going to get hammered. I am sure the fa investigated the day because it was so bad and this was not that many years after Sheff Wed s went ape at BP aswell.fan

was it this game they openly ran across the pitch with a set of ladders...i do remember that game....i was in the chaddy....and i remember the sheff wednesday game,i had shiny new docs on for that one and took quite a few out at the corner of the chaddy......i also remember our promotion against wednesday when there fans started kicking lumps out of kids in the chaddy,i got a good few that day as well...

hate city united wednesday and leeds fans with a vengence....

i dont have a problem with the club trying to improve match day attendances,but i do have a problem with the club pimping itself and pleading with other clubs fans to turn up...

if they can discount it for them then why on earth cant they discount it for us....cant go today because im absolutely skint and payday isnt till thursday,but if i did id be tempted to borrow a season ticket or even go with a fellow tic and get in for a fiver....saving meself 15 on the day...so it just doesnt make financial sense

In that knowledge, if I was SC, I would say that's the final straw, I'm off! :pow:

what do you expect people to do...

if you go to a shop and buy something for 4 quid with a tenner and they give you the change of a 20 do you say oh sorry you gave me too much.....nope you stick it in ya pocket quick and walk away fast,knowing you got lucky...

same applies...20 is a lot for football at our level,why should i pay out 20 when i could get in for a fiver.....save 15 quid and put it towards the next home game...

you telling me if you wasnt a season ticket holder you wouldnt do the same????

I like how it seems the same people who hate City with a vengeance look back to the 80s and explain some resentment coming from clashes between fans then...and now wish us to still hate them with the same passion now as if that sort of mentality is a good thing.

Pathetic.