Cup Defeat Financial Disaster - Hardy

The vast sum of money was a bit of a myth though wasn't it? I don't know how the figures break down but I wpuld imagine that the biggest chunk came from the legends game which was played on cb property, used club facilities and had a lot of input from club staff. The money couldn't go into the club's bank account as it would have been sucked up by the creditors.

Good point on the legends game but was that not before the new owners came and what right did they have to the money once they'd come in? If the Trust had said "thanks for saving the club and we're keeping this money", would that have made any difference to the 3 new owners? I very much doubt whether at any point of their takeover there was a proviso that they got the Trusts money. It was handed over after the takeover to absolutely no discernable gain to the fans. Also, putting that aside what would the rationale of giving them all the 'bucket money' and donations made apart from the legends game?

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...are there other clubs where their fans have a "real say" and/or "control"?

For information, supporters of Shamrock Rovers had the dirty done on them by the club's owners, and there is now a housing development where their ground once stood.

The supporters now run the club and over 500 of them pay 50 Euros (approx £43) per month by direct debit/standing order, plus the cost of a season ticket, plus merchandise purchases, programmes, catering, etc expenditure.

Would anyone be prepared to incur such expense to keep Latics in business?

For information, supporters of Shamrock Rovers had the dirty done on them by the club's owners, and there is now a housing development where their ground once stood.

The supporters now run the club and over 500 of them pay 50 Euros (approx £43) per month by direct debit/standing order, plus the cost of a season ticket, plus merchandise purchases, programmes, catering, etc expenditure.

If it was a supporters club then yes, I would.

Now that is a much more mature question than the "if you won the lottery would you fund the status quo and watch all your money disappear" question which is always put forward...

If it resulted in a real say on how things were run and ownership of part of the club (even if that was an extremely low share) then yes I would...

Edited by oafc0000

My maths works that out to be in the region of £250k/year. That doesn't cover our losses, its a good idea though and perhaps we might get more fans paying more but we might not given the state of our economy, especially in the Oldham area.

Whilst in no way sticking up for the council, we can put as much pressure on them as we want to get Failsworth sorted, but say planning permission was granted tomorrow, then what?

We haven't got a penny to start building it with.

we shouldnt have sacked him :lol:

My maths works that out to be in the region of £250k/year. That doesn't cover our losses, its a good idea though and perhaps we might get more fans paying more but we might not given the state of our economy, especially in the Oldham area.

The approx £250k/year is solely from the monthly contributions. Add to that the same 500 Members (owners) buying season tickets at a discounted rate of 100 Euros (£86) - full price 220 Euros - (for 18 games) and merchandise, 18 home matchday expenses, etc. Plus the income from other non-Member supporters who do not contribute on the monthly basis.

So I reckon each of the 500+ Members (owners) is paying at least £650 per season.

Edited by Diego_Sideburns

The approx £250k/year is solely from the monthly contributions. Add to that the same 500 Members (owners) buying season tickets at a discounted rate of 100 Euros (£86) - full price 220 Euros - (for 36 games) and merchandise, 18 home matchday expenses, etc. Plus the income from other non-Member supporters who do not contribute on the monthly basis.

So I reckon each of the 500+ Members (owners) is paying at least £650 per season.

Do those 500 members get anything for there monthly contributions ? or does it just go towards funding a rich mans toy ? For example do they get a share of a club or access to information they may want ?

Now that is a much more mature question than the "if you won the lottery would you fund the status quo and watch all your money disappear" question which is always put forward...

If it resulted in a real say on how things were run and ownership of part of the club (even if that was an extremely low share) then yes I would...

Would your willingness to contribute monthly as a Member (owner) also include buying a season ticket at a Member rate of approx half-price, buying merchandise and paying matchday expenses? That would be a minimum of £650 per season.

Do those 500 members get anything for there monthly contributions ? or does it just go towards funding a rich mans toy ? For example do they get a share of a club or access to information they may want ?

I think I've answered this partly on another reply. The 500+ Club Members are effectively owners of the club and they get approx half-price season tickets. They elect their own chairman/board to run their club.

Would your willingness to contribute monthly as a Member (owner) also include buying a season ticket at a Member rate of approx half-price, buying merchandise and paying matchday expenses? That would be a minimum of £650 per season.

I could personally afford to do that... but it all depends on what you get for your £650 a year... Like I said if it is just funding the status quo then I would have little interest in doing that... If in return you got certain "benefits" then I would...

I think I've answered this partly on another reply. The 500+ Club Members are effectively owners of the club and they get approx half-price season tickets. They elect their own chairman/board to run their club.

Then I would be very interested... There is currently a disconnect (more of a void) between club and supporter... The trust never bridged it, something like this might...

Then I would be very interested... There is currently a disconnect (more of a void) between club and supporter... The trust never bridged it, something like this might...

The link below gives you a better idea of what membership of SRFC involves. This extract from the link seems to sum up what you're saying:

Most fans have no choice but to be on the outside of their clubs. They can only hope to make a difference, and have no input into how the club they love is run or its future is shaped, no matter how strong, loyal or passionate their support.

http://www.shamrockrovers.ie/members

The link below gives you a better idea of what membership of SRFC involves. This extract from the link seems to sum up what you're saying:

Most fans have no choice but to be on the outside of their clubs. They can only hope to make a difference, and have no input into how the club they love is run or its future is shaped, no matter how strong, loyal or passionate their support.

I would love that at Latics... Where do I sign up ?

That sounds very much like a "club" to me...

Edited by oafc0000

DS the scheme that you mention may have some legs - maybe though its with SC involved as he probably has more financial clout than any one individual on here. However if we can get substantial investment from a scheme like this - with some benefits/powers to the group then maybe it would interest the club.

If it was interesting enough could we get 1000 people to invest £1000 including standard season ticket via dd on a monthly basis, it would help the revenue somewhat(Minimum of 5yr commitment maybe)

It would rely on 25%+ of the current home support investing and t's and c's being agreed. Any ideas on how we could move it forward, £1m a year could not be ignored or do people think its a non-starter

DS the scheme that you mention may have some legs - maybe though its with SC involved as he probably has more financial clout than any one individual on here. However if we can get substantial investment from a scheme like this - with some benefits/powers to the group then maybe it would interest the club.

If it was interesting enough could we get 1000 people to invest £1000 including standard season ticket via dd on a monthly basis, it would help the revenue somewhat(Minimum of 5yr commitment maybe)

It would rely on 25%+ of the current home support investing and t's and c's being agreed. Any ideas on how we could move it forward, £1m a year could not be ignored or do people think its a non-starter

I don't want the season ticket...

It is better to do it exactly as they have done it in my opinion, so even exiles can be part of it... Otherwise people would be paying for something they don't or would rarely use...

Just because I don't come doesn't mean I don't care... Something which is often lost on some...

Edited by oafc0000

It is better to do it exactly as they have done it in my opinion, so even exiles can be part of it... Otherwise people would be paying for something they don't or would rarely use...

Just because I don't come doesn't mean I don't care... Something which is often lost on some...

I think all adults at SR get a free season ticket though on their scheme!

Thats cool, its just a suggestion that may appeal to some, more importantly could 1000 people afford to invest £1000 or is there a level that this could work on and if so is there the stomach to put it in practice