Football's worst away end?

That's still no The Shay in the 80's.

I saw the topic headline and thought to myself - "easy, Shay, 80's" and lo and behold someone else witnessed it's majesty!

I was there for Halifax-Hereford, not sure why but there you go. At halftime I walked up to a policeman and demanded to be let into the home section, saying I'd made a terrible mistake and was from Oldham and wasnt a Hereford berserker and he laughed and let me go.

Edited by help_shiny

That's still no The Shay in the 80's.

Bloomfield Road was a death-trap, crumbling under your feet

Anyone remember that hideous corner pen at THe Hawthorns?

Notts County pre-refurbished was horrific

Burnden Park anyone, post-supermarket

Boothferry Park

Field Mill pre-improvement was far from pleasant

Tranmere was awful

Stoke's Victoria Ground was tribal!

Ayresome Park was unpleasant

Manor Ground was terrible, caged like animals

The worst current away ends?

Withdean

Memorial Ground

Hartlepool's Rink End is a death-trap!

Those corner seats at Brentford take some beating!

Edited by oafcprozac

Leeds United in the 80's was dreadful. Penned in at the side, always seemed massively overful and could hardly move your arms. The Dell. Again, little pens and they just crammed away fans in, so the big following we took for the cup match were completely shoehorned onto the terrace.

Millwall's old ground. Crumbling terrace, rabid thugs staring at you all game and and it pissed down every time we went.

Bolton's Burnden Park, especially if you got unlucky and had to stand next to the supermarket with half the pitch obscured.

Twerton Park was a bit of a deathtrap, and only had 3 or 4 steps so you basically saw jack :censored:e, which weren't a problem as we got soundly beaten on a cabbage patch of a pitch.

There were tons of away ends in the 80's which were pretty barbaric in the way you were fenced in... Newcastle United, Sunderland, Bradford City etc.

I remember standing on Everton's old away end where the eyes were at stud level. That was rubbish.

Derby's Baseball Ground - I recall standing in a urine filled side terrace several feet below pitch level that was overcrowded and stewards slamming the gates to trap supporters in. I much preferred Pride Park, when Poom got sent off and Eyresy won it.

Bloomfield Road was a death-trap, crumbling under your feet

+1, my only experience of terracing at football, God knows how they got a safety certificate for it.

I've never liked Elland Road, just don't like the layout of it (wedged in the corner, no signs telling you which staircase to use, arsehole stewards).

I always thought the Rochdale Rd end when it was not covered was a pretty awful place when it was winter.

Also, the kindness shown by GMP when Ipswich visited BP in 1989 on a midweek night when Ice Station Zebra really lived up to its name. The 30 or 40 Tractor Boys were let into the Lookers Upper from the unforgiving Rocky Road terrace to watch the 4-0 demolition and Roger's record breaking diving header.