Sad News - Merged

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We used to laugh about him, that he looked like a Premiership golden boy, imacculate hair, sock tape (2 lots no less) bit of a swagger on the pitch. unfortunatley he never really took off at Latics and cemented his place.

At the end of the day he played his best for us and you can ask no less of a player.

Thoughts go out to his family - R.I.P Rich :disappointed:

Dont care, how he got on at latics,some people were a disgrace but weve been in this division for 10+ years, so the memories are what latics fans generally look back on these days, rather than what if.....

The goal against colchesters is one of the best moments ive had at BP, that was the second i though were going up, (obviosuly we didnt, but that goal gave us all some hope if im nt mistaken that game was a 6 pointer)

others include John Eyre - QPR

and Scotty Vernon, v City.

But Richard thanks for the memory because the adrenalin that day has not really been the same since.........

RIP RICHARD BUTCHER, only god knows that has happened there

Just logged on the OAFC site to pick up on news about tonight's game and saw the item on their home page.

I've not been on the web or listened to the radio for a couple of days so this was the first I knew of it.

Read it in total disbelief.

For once, Bill Shankly was wrong. Football isn't more important than life or death when it concerns young men like Richard.

RIP & condolences to his family, Macc Town FC and everyone close to him.

Just logged on the OAFC site to pick up on news about tonight's game and saw the item on their home page.

I've not been on the web or listened to the radio for a couple of days so this was the first I knew of it.

Read it in total disbelief.

For once, Bill Shankly was wrong. Football isn't more important than life or death when it concerns young men like Richard.

RIP & condolences to his family, Macc Town FC and everyone close to him.

Same here, could hardly believe it when I read it.

RIP Richard and condolences to his family.

I really hope that it makes someone think again when they're about to unleash a vile tirade of abuse at one of our own players for the terrible crime of merely not be too good of a footballer. Life is far too short to have a misplaced pass raise the blood pressure to uncomfortable levels. By all means, bitch, moan and curse the lack of concentration, but let's never see the ugly fingerpointing and nasty abuse we saw at Barnsley ever again.

I agree, the Barnsley incident sprung to my mind when I heard the news. Life is too short for such abuse. To be fair tonight the players were generally treated with respect, perhaps the boo boys have given up going.

RIP Richard

I agree, the Barnsley incident sprung to my mind when I heard the news. Life is too short for such abuse. To be fair tonight the players were generally treated with respect, perhaps the boo boys have given up going.

RIP Richard

It's something, rightly or wrongly, professional footballers should be prepared to deal with. No one at Oakwell that day was to know Richard was going to die so young. I was there myself and although I didn't join in with the booing, I could fully understand why people did.

This isn't the right kind of thread to start slagging our own fans off. RIP Richard

• 2 weeks later...
He died in his sleep according to this article:-

http://soccer-portal.org/news/5275-richard...cclesfield.html

It may just been a rare case of "adult cot death"; not everything in medicine is explainable. just sad though.

Gives you the creeps doesn't it? I never knew it could be possible for someone so young (4 years younger than me), yet seemingly very healthy, to simply die in their sleep.

Gives you the creeps doesn't it? I never knew it could be possible for someone so young (4 years younger than me), yet seemingly very healthy, to simply die in their sleep.

I'm sure there's a more definitive medical explanation, I've read all sorts of conjecture on other club's forums, we'll just have to see what the coroner can come up with.

Won't change the outcome or bring the poor lad back but it'll stop all the crap that's being spouted.