Carlisle vs Oldham Post Match Thread

Disappointing but they twatted Hudds 4-0 in their last game, and a few that were there reckon us being 2-0 up was real smash and grab. Disappointing but we're 5th and two home games in a week. Gutted but come on we knew we'd blow it - 20 odd points lost now from winning positions. We all know the remaining two weaknesses in the team and they're both defensive, will PD act? I hope so...

Defensive? if one of them LB, black seemed to have a good game today..

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Teams seem to target Black and with good reason, he cant defend when under pressure, neither can Hazel for that matter.

You knew the equaliser was comming once they got the first.

Omar needs to learn how to finish from 6 yard also.

Can't see how he can be blamed for something that everyone could see was outside the area other than the ref and lino..

That's our biased Oldham view, I'll reserve judgement whether it was or wasn't until I see it for myself BUT he made a challenge, if there's a chance of a pen DON'T make the challenge - as Dario Gradi says - always assume the officials are idiots and don't let them make a decision.

That's our biased Oldham view, I'll reserve judgement whether it was or wasn't until I see it for myself BUT he made a challenge, if there's a chance of a pen DON'T make the challenge - as Dario Gradi says - always assume the officials are idiots and don't let them make a decision.

Agreed. From a Carlisle messageboard:

"agree that there are times we'd have been 2 nil down and our heads would have gone down. It's a hopeful sign that they hung on in there and got a point, albeit as a result of one of the most pointless stupid penalties I've ever seen given away."

This is why we won't go up. The only reason people get worked up is that they've convinced themselves we're going somewhere this season - the team is too young and will play in fits and starts in both in streaks of games and even as shown today, or away at Peterborough for example, within games.

Next year could be our year but just enjoy the entertainment this time around.

This is why we won't go up. The only reason people get worked up is that they've convinced themselves we're going somewhere this season - the team is too young and will play in fits and starts in both in streaks of games and even as shown today, or away at Peterborough for example, within games.

yet we're 5th...

Get worked up because we get into comfortable leads, like today, but to go and mess it up towards the end of the match..

You say we won't go up, most people are hoping we go up. What's the big problem? <_<

There's no problem at all, is there? I don't have one with anyone anyway. I just think today is further evidence of how I came to form my own opinion, apologies if it is not to your pleasure.

There's no problem at all, is there? I don't have one with anyone anyway. I just think today is further evidence of how I came to form my own opinion, apologies if it is not to your pleasure.

Nobody has a problem with you having a different opinion, you just don't need to state it over and over every time we drop a point. If we beat Hartlepool even the happiest of happy clappers won't be saying this is why we're definitely going up. Dropping points could be a reason that we fall short just like todays good performance could indicate we're good enough to give the better sides in this division a real game, see what I mean? No need to sound smug because you managed to form your own opinion.

Nobody has a problem with you having a different opinion, you just don't need to state it over and over every time we drop a point. If we beat Hartlepool even the happiest of happy clappers won't be saying this is why we're definitely going up. Dropping points could be a reason that we fall short just like todays good performance could indicate we're good enough to give the better sides in this division a real game, see what I mean? No need to sound smug because you managed to form your own opinion.

This is the first time I've made this point after a game, I very rarely use this board to express my opinions on football nowadays. I do apologise if you'd rather I didn't at all, but I might occasionally. If it chips away at your hope of us going up then just ignore it.

Edited by jsslatic

This is the first time I've made this point after a game, I very rarely use this board to express my opinions on football nowadays. I do apologise if you'd rather I didn't at all, but I might occasionally. If it chips away at your hope of us going up then just ignore it.

Opinionate away.

Just got back.

Did we play well? At times going forwards yes. But in the middle of the park we must have given the ball to them more times than we kept it.

Should we have won? Easily. Their defence gifted us two with poor marking (good crosses to exploit it though) and Tonk and Taylor both missed easy chances from a few yards out - Tonk's particulalrly poor. Morais was a stud length away from kncoking in a Lee cross second half too.

I thought Carlisle were crap. Really disappointed with them. Black had been playing very well until he got well and truly done for their first. Amos had been a bit shaky with a missed punch and a couple of missed crosses before that goal but I thought he had made the match winning save when seconds later Black made a totally unneccessary challenge on the goal-line, edge of the area, with the ball moving towards the cornerflag. Latics fans were in the far corner of the ground so a very long way away. My gut reaction was in the box and the lino who was well placed gave it straight away.

I don't really know what went wrong with the game. We really had it in the bag at 2-0 and additional chances should have wrapped it up. Similar to Exeter although Carlisle weren't quite as up for it as the Grecians - we just failed to keep the ball and remain calm.

Quick review of the players:

Amos - 5 - looked shaky on occasions but still communicates with his back 4 superbly.

Lee - 7 - excellent cross near the end nearly won it. Sweet cross for the second.

Black - 5 - could easily have been an 8 but when you cost the side goals a little too often there are clearly elements of your game that need to improve.

Trotman - 6 - disappointed with him today. Distribution was poor when we needed a little more in the way of possession.

Hazell - 6 - similar to Trotman. Too many balls given away.

Furman - 6 - again, acceptable performance overall but I thought he could have stepped up to the possession job better late on.

Stephens - 5 - I've been prepared to defend Dale against criticism on this board, but poor set pieces and too many stray passes marred his game today.

White - 5 - took his goal really well, but I thought he offered little and again lost the ball too often.

Taylor - 8 - transfer speculation usually leads to a loss of form. He was excellent today. Scored and created a goal and was at the heart of all the good stuff.

Morais - 8 - creative, exciting, some cracking interchanges going forwards, unlucky not to score.

Tounkara - 4 - there was one superb turn away from the defender and left foot cross first half, but the miss, the lack of running (unusual but true) and his struggle to win a header due to an inability to get his feet off the ground was frustrating. I love the guy, but today he was poor.

Todd - 7 - unexpected appearance in midfield, including a bit of pace to overlap down the right (!!) and possibly bigger than Gregan.

Reid - 8 - I thought he showed skill, vision and a little bit of pace which may just be vital if a play-off place is going to happen.

5th in the league, although now other teams have games in hand. We're no mugs but we just need to find a little more composure on the ball when we have a lead and make sure we take our chances to finish sides off.

Edited by opinions4u

Thought we were excellent throughout the game far superior to carlisle and not for the first time i have come away from a game where we drew feeling like we lost, maybe its naivety, maybe its bad tactics, maybe its just players that are mentally not strong enough but i hope to god they sort it or in my opinion its going to be the most frustrating season watching latics in the last 25+ years..

Thought we were excellent throughout the game far superior to carlisle and not for the first time i have come away from a game where we drew feeling like we lost, maybe its naivety, maybe its bad tactics, maybe its just players that are mentally not strong enough but i hope to god they sort it or in my opinion its going to be the most frustrating season watching latics in the last 25+ years..

really?

I'd take this every year over the frustrations of many a season over the last 25 years. Especially last season and the second half of the season before...

Got to agree would be happy with mid-table this season. Anything better i would be delighted.

Wow despite a detour through the lakes (my Dad is staying in Grasmere) and a shopping trip I'm the fourth one who went to post (at time of writing) despite this being on page 4.

Firstly I'm glad I had my sunglasses in the car, so I could wear them, even though they were only partially effective. That sun was an absolute bastard. We bossed the game for 70 minutes, should have been 3-0 up at HT and probably 4 by the time they scored their first. I don't think it was Dickov's fault, he made a couple of decent changes (Todd provided quite a lot of stability and Reid look useful) but the team as a whole took their foot off the gas. The midfield especially (Furman aside). Taylor showed he is more than £250k worth after about 10 minutes, with a cracking cross which just begged to be put home, by the time 70 minutes came around his value probably quadrupled.

My team ratings:

Amos 7 (If it hadn't have been for an absolutely magnificient save which I thought was going to win us the match he'd have gotten a 5)

Black 3 (He got torn to pieces by their winger- who may have come on at HT- less if he gave away the penalty)

Hazell 2 (If it was him who gave away the penalty (I think it was but see below), 6 if not)

Trotman 6

Lee 7 (Did well and put in an peach of a cross late in the second half which was almost impossible to defend- their defender got lucky and it went for a corner, about 8 times out of 10 that would have been an og)

Taylor 8 (would have been a 9 but left Black too short for cover especially when he was getting torn apart in the second half)

Furman 7 (bossed the game well for 70 minutes and unlike Stpehens didn't disappear in the last 20 and should have perhaps scored after running 70 yards)

Stephens 6 (see above)

White 6 (scored, didn't do much else but didn't get the opportunity)

Morais 7 (His usual self should have perhaps done better with a chance he had)

Tounkara 6 (He missed with a volley which would have been better off headed and it was a sitter- but was his usual battering ram self when he was on. Earlier in the season he'd have gotten 5 but he obviously misses more than he should, but then again if he put more chances away he'd be playing for Sunderland- I'd be looking to play him with Reid not either or)

Todd 7 (Looked like a very good move to bring him on, helped cover Black a bit, knew exactly what to do with 7 minutes of normal time left- I think Gregan would have known what to do in that situation too but wouldn't have had the legs to get him there, looking a good pick-up so far)

Reid 7 (Was very impressive some very nice touches should have perhaps scored in the dying seconds- and would have been funny if he did).

Note I didn't see the penalty incident as I was looking the other way, "celebrating" Amos's cracking save but someone who did see it (possibly Lee Sinnot from here) says it was nailed on. Obviously a stupid challenge though. The players reaction says something, I don't know whether it was disbelief it had been given or disappointment that they had thrown the game away

The officals were poor, even if it was a penalty, one of their players took Morais off at the knees and they gave nowt.

I'd take this every year over the frustrations of many a season over the last 25 years. Especially last season and the second half of the season before...

Last year and come to think of it most of the last 15 years were s h i t e in general not frustrating

The point i was trying to make was the amount of points dropped when dominating games this season could well cost us a chance of the play offs or looking at the table even automatic promotion, when i think we were are good enough to achieve both its not a great league and there is defiantly an opportunity to go up this year and thats what i consider frustrating.

:grin:

I love post-match over-emotion!

Saying we played well and dominated the games was a bit strong then??