Where do we go from here?

What do we do now?  

186 members have voted

1. 1. Which would be best suited to take the club forward?

• Continue with Failsworth plans for now
    • Look for yet another site within the town
    • Re-Develop Boundary Park (If Possible)
    • Move out of the town for good

As much as I would like to say option 3 in reality its going to have to be option 1 or 2 heres why:

Capital - We don't have any pretty much goes without saying So the only capital will have to be raised from within, we already run at a loss so no profit we can save up, and our playing squad is good but it would require £20million to buy a stadium and we won't raise that no matter who we sell

Location of Boundary Park - The Oldham Arena development was meant to be funded by Flats at the back of the chaddy, then what was going to help sustain the club was the construction of a hotel and offices.

The idea of using the land at the back of the chaddy for flats is still an option although once the cost has been covered how much would that give us to invest in any kind of redevelopment maybe fairly miminal. Boundary Park is not a viable location for Offices and a hotel. Oldham isn't a tourist town and with a travelodge next to the Clayton Green its not ideal for any hotels. As for offices again Boundary Park isn't really an attractive proposition for this either as Oldham isn't really an office town for a start and even if it is those offices that do exist tend to be in the town centre so again a lack of demand would effect that. Plus the transport links to Boundary Park are pretty poor the only real way of getting their is by car.

This is probably the reason behind the scrapping of the Oldham Arena plan I doubt they would have done such a big U-turn if this wasn't so, it would have been an avenue already explored. If you were to sell off Boundary Park tomorrow chances are you would get lots of interest from property developers wanting to turn it into Houses but I don't think you would get too many other interested parties.

So clutching at straws heree hoping option 1 and 2 prevail although I'm sure Oldham Council are ferociously determined that progress doesn't happen in the town of Oldham and that it remains a dump(Oldham has only been in the headlines twice in the last 10 years firstly for the race riots, and secondley for being Britains Binge drinking capital) I doubt it will see the light of day. Nearly 20 years now of "Athletic launch ambitious plans for new stadium" headlines only to be thwarted by a resolute and anti progress council don't hold your breath expecting that to change.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I would like to say option 3 in reality its going to have to be option 1 or 2 heres why:

Capital - We don't have any pretty much goes without saying So the only capital will have to be raised from within, we already run at a loss so no profit we can save up, and our playing squad is good but it would require £20million to buy a stadium and we won't raise that no matter who we sell

Location of Boundary Park - The Oldham Arena development was meant to be funded by Flats at the back of the chaddy, then what was going to help sustain the club was the construction of a hotel and offices.

The idea of using the land at the back of the chaddy for flats is still an option although once the cost has been covered how much would that give us to invest in any kind of redevelopment maybe fairly miminal. Boundary Park is not a viable location for Offices and a hotel. Oldham isn't a tourist town and with a travelodge next to the Clayton Green its not ideal for any hotels. As for offices again Boundary Park isn't really an attractive proposition for this either as Oldham isn't really an office town for a start and even if it is those offices that do exist tend to be in the town centre so again a lack of demand would effect that. Plus the transport links to Boundary Park are pretty poor the only real way of getting their is by car.

This is probably the reason behind the scrapping of the Oldham Arena plan I doubt they would have done such a big U-turn if this wasn't so, it would have been an avenue already explored. If you were to sell off Boundary Park tomorrow chances are you would get lots of interest from property developers wanting to turn it into Houses but I don't think you would get too many other interested parties.

So clutching at straws heree hoping option 1 and 2 prevail although I'm sure Oldham Council are ferociously determined that progress doesn't happen in the town of Oldham and that it remains a dump(Oldham has only been in the headlines twice in the last 10 years firstly for the race riots, and secondley for being Britains Binge drinking capital) I doubt it will see the light of day. Nearly 20 years now of "Athletic launch ambitious plans for new stadium" headlines only to be thwarted by a resolute and anti progress council don't hold your breath expecting that to change.

the back of the chaddy is already sold and has foundations dug for houses....

the club need to play hard ball with the council and sue them....must be something we can do legal wise for there incompetance....

oh and oldham was in news yesterday about testing out the new "fat" tax on take aways and that,lol

the back of the chaddy is already sold and has foundations dug for houses....

the club need to play hard ball with the council and sue them....must be something we can do legal wise for there incompetance....

oh and oldham was in news yesterday about testing out the new "fat" tax on take aways and that,lol

I believe any building of any houses at the back of the chaddy were completely dependent of failsworth being developed perhaps Barry or someone in the know can clarify that?

I'm sure they will look into the legalities of this the fact that they were sold the land on the promise of planning permission may give them a case I'm sure.

Edited by GlossopLatic

I believe any building of any houses at the back of the chaddy were completely dependent of failsworth being developed perhaps Barry or someone in the know can clarify that?

I'm sure they will look into the legalities of this the fact that they were sold the land on the promise of planning permission may give them a case I'm sure.

i hope your right..however i have a feeling it wasnt..otherwise building wouldnt have already commenced and glossy brochures wouldnt have been made....

there is land near moorside cricket club ,i wonder who owns it ? plenty of room to build a new staduim

Moving there would make Boundary Park feel tropical.

I've played Cricket there in the middle of summer where games have been called off due to frost and snow!!!

there is land near moorside cricket club ,i wonder who owns it ? plenty of room to build a new staduim

Beal Valley...............the golf course is way behind schedule.....will never be finished....

Shaw Royton catchment area

Should have been there sharing with rugby. But of course that is common sense..something that our alleged council do not have.

See we have a new woman and child white elephant in the chron tonight.....makes you want to ....

plenty of permissions for green domes though

Guest Scratch2000uk

Well, seeing as the fecking council are as much use as an ashtray on a motorcycle. :sleeping:

Vance millar fiasco...??( who can we blame for this ) :tongue1:

Charlie parker doing the walk, not the talk...huh??? (more like taking the piss on a big sallary) :tongue1:

Backed by a spineless weasel council who like nothing more than rubberstamping fast food,superstore,mosque applications. :sign0003:

Does make you wonder why the board bother. :shakeit:

Why do people still insist on redeveloping bp? Its shocking to be honest, I'd say carry on with fails worth until it's an absolute no go. At the mo it can all still happen

I agree with you Lee.

Charlie Parker is away on holiday ( as he is entitled to) but lets just see what happens when he gets back.

He wants a new stadium and knows the importance of how new developments like the building of a ground can attract potential companies to invest and locate in a town.

At the moement Im not that worried, we have sensible guys at the club and a council leader who wants this to go ahead.

A ground share could be a positive... If it was two teams coming together to build a new stadium... Rather than us just renting spotland which WOULD be a disaster...

A worthwhile clarification. The doomsday scenario I meant was if we ended up as tenants at someone else's ground.

To LaticsLee - I don't understand what's so shocking all of a sudden about redeveloping the club's home? I'm sure you were all for it when that was the plan on the table. I know the place is a derelict sh*t hole now, but it would take less than it costs to build a new stadium to rectify that. Yes, the problem is that means we can't sell the whole BP site and reinvest that money, but I still don't see that as insurmountable.

A worthwhile clarification. The doomsday scenario I meant was if we ended up as tenants at someone else's ground.

To LaticsLee - I don't understand what's so shocking all of a sudden about redeveloping the club's home? I'm sure you were all for it when that was the plan on the table. I know the place is a derelict sh*t hole now, but it would take less than it costs to build a new stadium to rectify that. Yes, the problem is that means we can't sell the whole BP site and reinvest that money, but I still don't see that as insurmountable.

When need more revenue coming into the club on non match days. The failsworth idea is a good idea because the revenue would come in from all the extra options available to the public. We don't have the space at bp to bring in the revenue we need.

I have voted to continue with Failsworth, but in my heart I would like us to move out of Oldham. The club has been treated like dog muck for as long as I can remember. I remember my first visit to Burnden Park and thinking what an awful ground it was. I also remember my only visit to the Reebok and being very jealous. Bolton Wanderers have shown what can happen with with some forward planning, some luck, some financial backing and the support of the local council. As some point since sports park 2000 we have had everything but a helpful council. I can't see that changing any time in the near future.

I have voted to continue with Failsworth, but in my heart I would like us to move out of Oldham. The club has been treated like dog muck for as long as I can remember. I remember my first visit to Burnden Park and thinking what an awful ground it was. I also remember my only visit to the Reebok and being very jealous. Bolton Wanderers have shown what can happen with with some forward planning, some luck, some financial backing and the support of the local council. As some point since sports park 2000 we have had everything but a helpful council. I can't see that changing any time in the near future.

I have voted to move out of the town of oldham if possible. I would feel safer with Vance Miller at the helm than these muppets, and I really fail to see how professional football in Oldham can progress under OMBC

In an ideal world, redevelop BP. Build a new family stand where the Lookers was knocked down, knock down the George Hill and rebuild all-standing there which wouldn't take up much room. We are not in an ideal world and I'm dreaming so a new stadium is the only way forward.

Edited by Ben1985