Is Oldham Deserving

This is going to sound harsh and maybe pointless but i just want to be objective for a moment.

Do we as a town deserve a club?

There are over 200,000 (according to '01 census http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00bp.asp) in Oldham and we manage to pull in around 4000. So it's safe to say the majority of the town aren't too bothered if there is a football club or not.

Our facilities are poor and dated and there doesn't seem to be any improvement in sight despite efforts by the owner(s) over the past decade.

You could argue that things won't really get better because TV has made football a free commodity and even if we go up the majority of people would rather go the pub and watch the premier league than watch Championship football.

I know that we as a fan base deserve a club because we turn up to support the team week in week out but our numbers are more deserving of low end league two not high end league one.

Arguments to the contrary would be very welcome.

This is going to sound harsh and maybe pointless but i just want to be objective for a moment.

There are over 200,000 (according to '01 census http://www.statistics.gov.uk/census2001/profiles/00bp.asp) in Oldham and we manage to pull in around 4000. So it's safe to say the majority of the town aren't too bothered if there is a football club or not.

Our facilities are poor and dated and there doesn't seem to be any improvement in sight despite efforts by the owner(s) over the past decade.

You could argue that things won't really get better because TV has made football a free commodity and even if we go up the majority of people would rather go the pub and watch the premier league than watch Championship football.

I know that we as a fan base deserve a club because we turn up to support the team week in week out but our numbers are more deserving of low end league two not high end league one.

I live in Bristol, a city with a population of 400,000 plus, and within the Greater Bristol area upwards of a million... the nearest prem club is Villa/West brom almost 100 miles north...granted there are 2 clubs..but city are struggling to get 15k and rovers do well to get 6K...what i'm trying to say is just cos we have :censored: facilities (sorry BP) and can only pull 4k home fans on a good day does not mean that the loyal local football loving folk of Oldham do not deserve a team worthy of their support..irrespective of whatever league we are in or how well we are performing...the town deserves a team, hopefully a successful team...btw don't do arguments on the net..its a bit silly :blink:

How many of them are actually interested in football though? And can afford to go to most games? Quite alot of the fans who live locally, but can;t afford most games, will pick & choose like Rochdale/Hudders home games etc, and more away games as their is a better atmosphere away.

Guest Scratch2000uk

The crowd issue is in at least some part due to the stadium at the moment. :huh:

We do deserve a football club, and rugby club, but as always, the council are far better at breaking promises and being inept in almost everything they do these days. :ranting:

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Eh? I was just trying to look at it from a neutral stand point, wasn't trying to argue with anyone.

It deserves a team because we care enough for their to be one in the first place.

I don't get this does the town deserve a football team bollocks its abit like saying a team deserves to be in the premier league or Europe or wherever some people will argue that Leeds desreve to be in the premier league and Blackpool don't. Man City fans desreve to be champions of the universe because get this..... they have fans who live quite close by who support their club and go and watch them WHOOPEEE! but wouldn't football be boring if thats how it was decided, you are where you are Oldham probably doesn't deserve a crap council its got one weve got to get on with it.

Edited by GlossopLatic

What's all this rubbish?

The people who go to the games and follow Oldham deserve a football club. All this town stuff is irrelevant.

I'v already said that, but if your saying thats its us the fans that matter not the town, should the club be moved else where (don't ask where i m speaking hypothetically)

I'v already said that, but if your saying thats its us the fans that matter not the town, should the club be moved else where (don't ask where i m speaking hypothetically)

I'd say no their should be a team in the borough called Oldham Athletic the club will have to evolve in lots of ways but what should stay constant is we should be in Oldham and called Oldham Athletic.

Good work, Tom.

Its important we all get behind the team if it means bringing a friend or just singing your heart out throughout the game. Make sure what happens on the pitch is what matters. Do not let this news ruin are good run of formor get to the players.

The crowd issue is in at least some part due to the stadium at the moment. :huh:

Ditto, doesn't motivate me at all to travel 400 miles in a day at the moment since the Lookers went

PS .... picked a good week for my first home match of the season.

Every latic should make a point of ditching any oldham dwelling "friends" who are TV Reds or Blues. Tell them to go to hell and tell them why

Every latic should make a point of ditching any oldham dwelling "friends" who are TV Reds or Blues. Tell them to go to hell and tell them why

Whilst I haven't ditched any of my Prem supporting mates, I quite often tell them where to go if they ask me down to the pub watch their games.

Football & Rugby belong in Oldham, it's just a shame that it has a council that does not care and is not willing to support sports in its town.

No. If Latics fans can't be proud of their roots and respect fellow Latics fans' requests for some respect (not slagging off the town where many of our fans live, calling it a :censored:hole, etc), then no, Oldham doesn't deserve a football team.

I'm out.