Laptop

sjk2008

Right, I'm looking to buy a new laptop. Not well up on which ones are the best, which are best value for money, which ones to avoid, bla de bla blaa.

1. Ideally, I dont want to spend over £400

2. I'm looking for the best pay monthly deal (PC World, Curry's, Dixons, whoever else...)

3. Will be just for general use and to hammer the fook out of Football Manager (So I want the game to run quick).

Suggestions on brands/specs/where to buy/best deals would be very much welcomed....and then I can get back to leading OAFC to the promise land.

Thanks,

SJK

Like I said, I'm useless with this, can anyone provide links to specific Laptops? Not that I cant be bothered, just that I dont really know fully what I'm looking for and I gather there are a few more 'tech savvy' than me on here!

Who's the more reliable to buy off? I get the impression whenever I speak to someone from PC World that they havrnt got a clue either you see.

If you're buying it from a physical shop in the street you're going to pay too much for what you get. It's that simple.

If you need them due to the financing options then I suppose you don't have a choice.

I too am thinking about getting a laptop. I heard Sony Viaio (y'know what I mean) were the better ones. I'm not keen on getting a Mac because of the price and the operating system upgrade limitations.

If not shops, where?

The Internets.

Amazon.com

Play.com

Dabs.com

Those are my three usual haunts. Best thing is to google and go into shops and find one you're comfortable in buying then use those three and others to find the place that will do you the best deal.

Is there not somebody on this very forum who posts under the name pcassist? Perhaps a PM to him and, in the spirit of us all helping each other out, you just never know...

I agree Acer is a good buy have a look at www.acerdirect.co.uk and if you do buy one you can get an extended 3 year warranty for an additional £50.97, also click here for a possible model that might suit you.

Regards

Ian G.

PS Forgot to add warranty pack information.

Edited by pcassist

I too am thinking about getting a laptop. I heard Sony Viaio (y'know what I mean) were the better ones. I'm not keen on getting a Mac because of the price and the operating system upgrade limitations.

If not shops, where?

My general view on Sony products is that you pay over the odds for a lower spec than competitors due to some misplaced idea of higher quality.

Once you've identified the online retailer you want to use, don't forget to do your bit for PlayerShare.

Assuming the shop's on the site in the link below you could be getting yourself a cheap laptop and helping Latics sign a new player ...

This EARN MONEY FOR PLAYERSHARE link is in my signature and includes shops like:

DABS

PLAY

STAPLES

EUROFFICE

Take a look.

Edited by opinions4u

http://www.littlewoods.com/acer-156in-lapt...0827-sku9551878

Whats the spec on this laptop like? I imagine the price being quite high as its a catalogue company - only thing that alerts me is it can be interest free for a year but, im guessing i could get a similar laptop elsewhere, paying interest on top and still pay less than £500?

It only has 2GB of RAM. You can get laptops with twice as much (RAM is crucial for FM) for less than that price.

As pcassist said, have a browse on Acer Direct. You want at least 3GB of RAM, preferably a 2.2GHz processor, and if possible an nVidia or ATI graphics card.

It only has 2GB of RAM. You can get laptops with twice as much (RAM is crucial for FM) for less than that price.

As pcassist said, have a browse on Acer Direct. You want at least 3GB of RAM, preferably a 2.2GHz processor, and if possible an nVidia or ATI graphics card.

Thanks. Im just gunna get all the neccesary specs (like you have just mentioned with RAM, Processor speed, graphics card etc and then pop into PC World/Currys/Dixons etc as although they will be more expensive - its the only realistic way I can afford one with them offering finance deals. Just got to find the best deal now!!!

I do like the look of that one Livo, but my poor credit rating means I cant get one of those Argos cards (although it will probably let me get a finance option with a store). It's very ahrd to improve your credit rating these days when you cant get a card to build it up with in the first place!

I intended to get an Acer but went for the below a fortnight ago and am over the moon with it (however that's no feat given the war horse it retired). It's rapid, silent, doesn't get warm (let alone hot), and the keyboard is proper.

To add further confusion to the already confused pricing it was only £500 on 'reserve and collect' when I bought. I'm thinking I've taken advantage of a mistake... ^_^

Currys

I know at £1000 it's waaay over budget but if u can finance it on a buy now pay next year jobbie then i cant recommend an Apple MacBookPro highly enough. I absolutely love mine. Fast, powerful, decent memory, full of clever little touches. I honestly can't praise it enough.

i got a HP laptop for £379 reduced from £599 in the sales from PC World. 4GB RAM and 500GB Hard drive (or the otherway round, but the 4GB and 500GB are right) and football manager runs fine. i know it was in the sales but it shows you can get a good laptop at decent price

I know at £1000 it's waaay over budget but if u can finance it on a buy now pay next year jobbie then i cant recommend an Apple MacBookPro highly enough. I absolutely love mine. Fast, powerful, decent memory, full of clever little touches. I honestly can't praise it enough.

+1

best computer I've ever had, takes a couple of weeks to get used to the Apple formats when you've been used to Windows but great bit of kit paid £1328 for my 15" MacBook Pro in March last year, same model is £1600 now!