Saturday Morale Sappers

...Popped in the Dog & Partridge on Middleton Road in Royton on Friday night and saw a sign on the window saying that it was showing the Citeh game at three that afternoon - as Latics were playing. I assumed that the landlord, whom I respect and like, had responded to the news that it was okay to use the Greek feed and show games at three on a Saturday.

Not sure I'll be popping in there again. Any other pubs show the Citeh game live on Saturday or other premier greed matches? I'd like to avoid them if I can.

...Popped in the Dog & Partridge on Middleton Road in Royton on Friday night and saw a sign on the window saying that it was showing the Citeh game at three that afternoon - as Latics were playing. I assumed that the landlord, whom I respect and like, had responded to the news that it was okay to use the Greek feed and show games at three on a Saturday.

Not sure I'll be popping in there again. Any other pubs show the Citeh game live on Saturday or other premier greed matches? I'd like to avoid them if I can.

it would be near impossible to do that im afraid !

it would be near impossible to do that im afraid !

I thought that. It's probably still alright to go down the Dog then. He's got an Oldham football scarf up and an Oldham rugby scarf. If everyone else is showing it, he's got to show it I suppose.

I still found it really sad after everything that happened last week that he was putting the Citeh game on, when Citeh were at home, and Oldham were at home, and people just want to watch their football in the pub. Desperately sad.

If your watching latics at 3pm on a saturday,why would you give a toss about whats on telly???

I thought it was outlawed in some way, mainly to protect lower league attendances. It's just another nail in the coffin - banged in this time by local pubs with Oldham Athletic regalia on the walls. Bleak.

I thought it was outlawed in some way, mainly to protect lower league attendances. It's just another nail in the coffin - banged in this time by local pubs with Oldham Athletic regalia on the walls. Bleak.

not really, lower league attendances are affected by the so called fans who turn up to watch the club. not the television. if that was the case id be staying at home watching the football all the time.

not really, lower league attendances are affected by the so called fans who turn up to watch the club. not the television. if that was the case id be staying at home watching the football all the time.

I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm sure showing football at 3 o'clock on a Saturday was prohibited because the football league asked for it - so that people don't have the choice whether to watch premier greed in the pub or go to a game, and just have a choice whether to go to a game or not.

I can't be bothered to look it up but I'm sure showing football at 3 o'clock on a Saturday was prohibited because the football league asked for it - so that people don't have the choice whether to watch premier greed in the pub or go to a game, and just have a choice whether to go to a game or not.

so they said you show football of a club people dont even support they will go and watch it instead of there respective teams ? :lol:

its all down to the clubs support and like i said if they choose to sit in a pub at 3 o'clock and watch the PL rather go to the stadium where there team plays then to me there not supporters.

It'll be on foreign sky, I think any game being shown live at 3 on a Saturday is illegal.

I think it was established last week that taking the foreign feed is not illegal any more.

That's the legal recommendation to the judges.

At present I believe it's illegal if it's being broadcast from outside the UK.

Assuming the legal advice is accepted, in future it will be legal if the broadcast is from within the EU. But not from outside the EU.

So he shouldn't put on games because Latics are playing? All he is doing is telling people what will be on in the pub, maybe getting customers from other pubs to his pub.

what I thought was sad on Saturday was the fact that whilst on the 181 heading towards BP there was loads of traffic on Broadway coming from Oldham which was mostly made up of City fans going to the game, that is whats killing us I'm afraid, someone should sit on the back of a waggon with a megaphone on a Saturday lunchtime through the centre of Oldham urging the people of Oldham to support THEIR club

So he shouldn't put on games because Latics are playing? All he is doing is telling people what will be on in the pub, maybe getting customers from other pubs to his pub.

I know. I know. If he doesn't put it on, the punters will go somewhere where it is on. There's nothing he can do about it. I don't blame him really. I just think it's sad. Pubs are not exactly rolling in it either, so every pound counts.

Defo agree with the megaphone idea. I'll pull the cart as long as I can have the front end of the pantomime horse and fart in the face of Leeslover in the back.

Edited by 24hoursfromtulsehill

This was something I was after the club looking into stopping for a while, not sure they should bother anymore. I understand the pubs point of view, but quite simply it was legislation that the coppers/council couldn't be arsed doing anything about so nothing got done.

I'm quite fortunate that whilst my local in Durham shows live games at 3pm, 99% of the time I'm at Oldham anyway, plus aside from OS and I, doubt it really affects Oldham's attendances. My local in Heywood, doesn't have a dodgy Sky (or if it did, far too many of the 3pm crowd want to watch the rugby). Swings and roundabouts, I wonder what would have happened if AH had said, the pub on Rochdale road is showing football at 3pm on a Saturday, illegally, do something otherwise we ain't paying you, maybe the ex-copper on the board could have helped?