Possible loans from the council?

Lord Sugar commenting on the fall-out of the Olympic Park decision praises the MP who was against Spurs moving out of Haringey, now he wants that same MP to back Spurs' application for improving White Hart Lane/sourcing an alternative site within their borough. One of the options is to facilitate financial assistance in the form of loans through the council at favourable government terms.

I know we're relative small fry but has this option been looked at? Perhaps Barry could comment?

Lord Sugar commenting on the fall-out of the Olympic Park decision praises the MP who was against Spurs moving out of Haringey, now he wants that same MP to back Spurs' application for improving White Hart Lane/sourcing an alternative site within their borough. One of the options is to facilitate financial assistance in the form of loans through the council at favourable government terms.

I know we're relative small fry but has this option been looked at? Perhaps Barry could comment?

I will check Prozac because I do not have an immediate answer for you. I am often told the council is bankrupt so I am not sure where the loan would come from.

Barry

I will check Prozac because I do not have an immediate answer for you. I am often told the council is bankrupt so I am not sure where the loan would come from.

Barry

maybe from central government in the form of a regeneration loan or grant..or maybe from european funds...

just think if we had changed our name to royal bank of scotland we would be quids in now with our bail out money!!!

Barry

I don't think Haringey will be awash with money in the current climate either Barry, but as you say the question has to be asked if it is an unexplored avenue...

Barry

How can a Council be bankrupt?!

It has assets, and can borrow against them. They are a government body and get preferential lending rates, amongst other things.

How can a Council be bankrupt?!

It has assets, and can borrow against them. They are a government body and get preferential lending rates, amongst other things.

quite easily actually...

vance millar case being one example..spending 500k of our money fighting a lost cause....so when you get your new council tax bill and its risen steeply,you have an idea as to why...

The council isn't bankrupt, they have around £13m in reserves, which is a legal requirement. But it is run on a year by year basis, i.e cannot be run at a loss, it used to be but only because it could rely on grants from the government...no chance of that happening now. Can't see a council loan happening either as it seems they are at each others throats at the minute! Something worth exploring though.

Barry

Jesus Christ, did I just read that correctly??

Our future's in safe hands, last man out turn off the lights :surrender:

care to enlighten us then as to why its quite impossible???

how many times have you seen a Council have a CCJ against it?

how many times have you seen a Council liquidated?

A Council is a Local Government department, so you're basically saying the Goverment could be made bankrupt. As said earlier, it has reserves and the ability to borrow against its asset. Jeez. Ed and Batty Owen, the new Chucklebrothers.

Oh when the blues!

Edited by dish

A Council is a Local Government department, so you're basically saying the Goverment could be made bankrupt. As said earlier, it has reserves and the ability to borrow against its asset. Jeez. Ed and Batty Owen, the new Chucklebrothers.

Oh when the blues!

so councils and government bodies dont get sued for misapropriation of funds then...ok.i shall bow to your superior knowledge....to you....to me

Oh when the blues!

As yer man said, plus they're kind of 'underwritten' if you like by the government, in turn the only way you'll be able to really bankrupt the 'council' is to bankrupt the country.

Enlightened??? :wink:

As yer man said, plus they're kind of 'underwritten' if you like by the government, in turn the only way you'll be able to really bankrupt the 'council' is to bankrupt the country.

Enlightened??? :wink:

not really..am i supposed to be??

ok.so council hasnt got a pot to piss in....is in debt by say 15 million.....cant explain its expenditure to central government and they refuse to send more money...that technically bankrupt isnt it.....happened in wales a while ago....

not really..am i supposed to be??

ok.so council hasnt got a pot to piss in....is in debt by say 15 million.....cant explain its expenditure to central government and they refuse to send more money...that technically bankrupt isnt it.....happened in wales a while ago....

That'd be Cardiff you're referring to, it was in 1999!!

Now correct me if I'm wrong but the 'claims' of bankruptcy were unfounded and unless I'm mistaken there's still a local council in Cardiff!!

Overspending, mismanagement or whatever happens, the government are the safety net.

Now, let it go and let's move on hey :wink:

Why should Haringey or any other council use our tax payers money, because that is what it is, to fund another football team. At the end of the day taxpayers fund local councils. Central government is pulling the strings with our money. Why should my taxes be used to fund any other football club when mine is bleeding to death.

The council isn't bankrupt, they have around £13m in reserves, which is a legal requirement. But it is run on a year by year basis, i.e cannot be run at a loss, it used to be but only because it could rely on grants from the government...no chance of that happening now. Can't see a council loan happening either as it seems they are at each others throats at the minute! Something worth exploring though.

do they still make sure to spend up the budget at the end of every financial year on town centre water features etc....?

FA for grassroots football and some stadium improvements via the Football Foundation

Football League - No

Neither would give us the money we need

I believe the maximum grant from the Football Foundation (which superceded the Football Trust) is £750k.

A helping hand, but nothing more in the great scheme of things.