Huddersfield are in a League Above Oldham

Hudds' ground shows what a good council can do for you- but then again your councillors are probably Hudds fans, unlike Oldham's.

The rest is down to a bloke with mega-millions who is in it for love as opposed to 3 blokes with probably less money combined who were in it for a property deal. A decent commercial manager who realises its 2011, as opposed to some bloke who despite working his socks off isn't in the same league and hasn't been for about 3 or 4 years.

17 years ago, aside from Leeds, who despite not currently being a Premier League club have everything else but the team, we were Hudds nearest PL club. (These days its some team that is owned by a very rich Arab). The distance from Huddersfield to their nearest current PL club is 21.0 miles, we have 4 within that, plus 1 0.6 miles further.

Without the SL team Hudds basically admit they wouldn't have their current ground- since the Giants own it more than town do. In 1997 Oldham's RL team finsihed bottom of SL, and were rightly relegated, however, the team who finished above Oldham, PSG went bust- but their place in SL was given to some team who finished 4th in the league below. That team was the Giants, so maybe the difference in the structure isn't all down to football and footballing matters.

However, the Terriers have done well with the hand that they were dealt- Latics on the other hand, haven't.

The Giants only own more than Town do because the shares were stolen from us when we went bust. Personally, I'd like to see us move away from the ground until the Giants go bust; then they can play there on our terms, or find elsehwere.

As for the council, we would own the majority of shares in our ground (at great expense to our chairman) again, if our council hadn't moved the goalposts on a deal stemming back to the opening of the ground.

As said before, Jarvis is the key. It's not about matching us; I'd struggle to think of any club that has been starved of success for so long that can match our crowds; it's about dragging everyone in that you can... weren't you scraping the odd >10,000 attendance a couple of seasons ago?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Giants only own more than Town do because the shares were stolen from us when we went bust. Personally, I'd like to see us move away from the ground until the Giants go bust; then they can play there on our terms, or find elsehwere.

As for the council, we would own the majority of shares in our ground (at great expense to our chairman) again, if our council hadn't moved the goalposts on a deal stemming back to the opening of the ground.

As said before, Jarvis is the key. It's not about matching us; I'd struggle to think of any club that has been starved of success for so long that can match our crowds; it's about dragging everyone in that you can... weren't you scraping the odd >10,000 attendance a couple of seasons ago?

I think it's time we and Hudds stopped moaning about each other. At the end of the day I rate both sets of fans highly. They/we support their/our local teams and aren't plastic premiership watching 'fans'.

It'd be nice if both we and Hudds go up this season.

Couldn't help notice at how well run Huddersfield Town appear to be compared to ourselves.

Great stadium aside from the match programme, to outside the ground stalls to buy merchandise, and PA inside the ground. Huddersfield leave us miles behind and make Oldham look decades behind.

It was sad to see what we are not.

Thankfully on the pitch we could match them!

Just a thought like, but it might be something to do with having a rich benefactor signing cheques for them on a weekly basis to allow these fantastic facilities etc etc etc.

The crowds are also massively artificially inflated by giving season tickets away for next to nothing.

Not exactly a level playing field is it?

Edited by Hometownclub

Just a thought like, but it might be something to do with having a rich benefactor signing cheques for them on a weekly basis to allow these fantastic facilities etc etc etc.

Enthusiasm reading the teams out costs nothing.

Changing the nature of the half time draw to make it more compelling costs nothing.

There are things we can do for free. Others would cost - and on a quarter of the fanbase that cost can't always be justified. We can learn a lot from what others do well.

Joe Royle made the point when he returned to the club that little had changed. If you don't change, you invariably get left behind. We all know how true that is in the case of Latics.

The crowds are also massively artificially inflated by giving season tickets away for next to nothing.

I don't think they do that anymore, except for a few hundred seats.

Edited by opinions4u

Not exactly a level playing field is it?

From my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, but they had that cheap season deal a few years back to celebrate their centenary. They're back to normal prices now.

What impressed me was their family stand. They'd sold tickets cheaply to local schools encouraging youngster to support them rather than the usual premiership teams.

Do we do anything like that?

If no then we should look into it.

:unsure:

Yep, all we need is that rich benefactor and everything will be hunky dory, we could have a new stadium, give tickets away for free, pay nearly a million pounds for players etc etc etc.

Yep, just need to find that mega rich owner and we'll be just like Uddersfield.

Err

Read the posts above yours I think they make valid points.

Do Huddersfield give tickets awy free. Do they really? :blink:

From my knowledge, correct me if I'm wrong, but they had that cheap season deal a few years back to celebrate their centenary. They're back to normal prices now.

What impressed me was their family stand. They'd sold tickets cheaply to local schools encouraging youngster to support them rather than the usual premiership teams.

Do we do anything like that?

If no then we should look into it.

:unsure:

id say were slightly different in as much as they dont have any premier league teams around them....where as we do and there within a short travelling distance..which does make a difference...

and the fact there owner is a rich fan,and ours arent....

id say were slightly different in as much as they dont have any premier league teams around them....where as we do and there within a short travelling distance..which does make a difference...

and the fact there owner is a rich fan,and ours arent....

Can't see how encouraging local kids to attend cheaply is anything to do with having a rich chairman. If the kids don't come we get nothing and they'll likely have a future ahead of them as a Man City/Man U fan. If we give them cheap tickets we'll get a few bob, a few less empty seats and a few potential lifelong latics fans.

Yes, according to posts further up the thread, and you can blink all you like newby. :grin:

Sorry if being a newby precludes me from comment.

I know it's been a tough time as a latics fan not just this year but for many years now.

Latics fans are a precious, and dying species tbh. The original poster got it right when he said we seem to be decades behind Huddersfield. I am sceptical about claims that Huddersfield's attendances are based on free tickets. I've looked at their website, went to the match yesterday and saw no evidence that their is support is swelled by these mystical free tickets handed out by their uber generous chairman.

A lot of posters seem jaded on this website, and I can understand their feelings. Anyways, we seem to be doing OK on the pitch at the moment. Long may it continue.

:pray:

Sorry if being a newby precludes me from comment.

I know it's been a tough time as a latics fan not just this year but for many years now.

Latics fans are a precious, and dying species tbh. The original poster got it right when he said we seem to be decades behind Huddersfield. I am sceptical about claims that Huddersfield's attendances are based on free tickets. I've looked at their website, went to the match yesterday and saw no evidence that their is support is swelled by these mystical free tickets handed out by their uber generous chairman.

A lot of posters seem jaded on this website, and I can understand their feelings. Anyways, we seem to be doing OK on the pitch at the moment. Long may it continue.

:pray:

ok....light years ahead of us???? seriously????? that would be why we are in the same league then wouldnt it......they seem to have as much ability at getting promoted as we have...

fact...before they celebrated there 100 year or summat there attendances were poor...they gave discounted season tickets and got a full house,only being able to do this with the backing of a wealthy fan...bradford did exactly the same thing and now back at fullish price there back to normal....

if you want to see something light years ahead of latics i suggest you go out in the garden at night with a telescope...

ok....light years ahead of us???? seriously????? that would be why we are in the same league then wouldnt it......they seem to have as much ability at getting promoted as we have...

fact...before they celebrated there 100 year or summat there attendances were poor...they gave discounted season tickets and got a full house,only being able to do this with the backing of a wealthy fan...bradford did exactly the same thing and now back at fullish price there back to normal....

if you want to see something light years ahead of latics i suggest you go out in the garden at night with a telescope...

Did I say they were light years ahead of us? :unsure:

Their attendances were pretty impressive before they had their centenary season discount, and their prices have been back to normal for the last few seasons. I've been told that they averaged over 10k when they were in the 4th div a few years back before their new chairman turned up.

I'm not dissing Oldham, but yesterday was a real eye opener as the original poster said.

Right I'm off to get me tin hat.

:peepwall:

Yes big attendances because they have no real local competition for supporters. That gives them financial security much greater than ours and attracts wealthy investors.

Who on earth would come and Invest in Latics witha real hope of making any money now?

thank you !!! someone understands wha i said before!

The one thing which struck me yesterday was the spectacle of the whole thing. For a young kid it would be a great day out. Apart from the product on the pitch, it matches Blackburn, Wigan, Bolton etc. Can't say the same about BP unfortunately.

Just goes to show what a cracking job Dickov and the boys are doing. Promotion or no promotion we're punching well above our weight.

KTF.

I think what Dean Hoyle (Huddersfield Chairman) did was he invested in the infrastructure of the club before making any big money signings, whereas most other clubs have done it the other way round and in quite a few cases it's led to financial problems. I think the way Dean Hoyle has gone about running the club is partly the reason why they are a league above us off the field but I was thinking yesterday that we could of had a ground like the Galpharm over 10 years ago if it weren't for the council and the facilities at the ground have certainly helped the club, also in the mid 90's we as a club stood still as the game was about to boom, remember when the likes of Burnley, Blackpool, Wigan, Fulham and even Huddersfield were off the radar? All ifs and buts I know but I beleive that our chances of progress as a club off the field are hindered by this

footy68's wife writing this post. went to the game yesterday with mr footy68. agree that huddersfield ground was really good and would be great if oldhams ground was the same. it would change a few things.

but what i saw was the passion of the oldham away support back to its best. seeing people singing there hearts out said it all to me. i dont go to many games now. went a lot with my dad/grandfather in the 80's. and yes the games where great back then and the fans.

but when everyone is going on about the ground. its the fans that make a club to. seeing the turn out yesterday was great to see. latics fans singing their hearts out again. thats whats needed. it was great to see the fans together with their support.

footy68's wife writing this post. went to the game yesterday with mr footy68. agree that huddersfield ground was really good and would be great if oldhams ground was the same. it would change a few things.

but what i saw was the passion of the oldham away support back to its best. seeing people singing there hearts out said it all to me. i dont go to many games now. went a lot with my dad/grandfather in the 80's. and yes the games where great back then and the fans.

but when everyone is going on about the ground. its the fans that make a club to. seeing the turn out yesterday was great to see. latics fans singing their hearts out again. thats whats needed. it was great to see the fans together with their support.

agree 100% there :grin:

everyone has to do their bit and we were second to non yesterday, even Dean Furman praised us on Twitter,

But it made me wonder that if we had a better stadium, would the atmosphere at home games improve/worsen?

everyone has to do their bit and we were second to non yesterday, even Dean Furman praised us on Twitter,

But it made me wonder that if we had a better stadium, would the atmosphere at home games improve/worsen?

Improve Big Time !

more fans with a more feel good factor around !

what a few spotty kids singing oooooh Roger Palmer to a black steward?!

I thought the atmosphere was crap.