The Wire

So season 2 doesn't just follow on from season 1? Arrrrgggghhh!!

Why does McNulty end up on 'the boat'? How come he doesn't take Freamon's advice?

Oh, forget it! I'll find out myself. At some point. Wankers.

Sorry to disappoint Zorrro, but the best of the Wire is already over for him. What follows is a series of themed contexts in which the drug dealing and murder and what-have-you takes place - the decline of industry and physical trade, the schools system, politics as organised cynicism, and the amorality of the modern press and media. I'm massively interested in politics, but I don't want to get my politics from fiction, if you know what I mean - any more than I'd want to get music or physics lessons by watching or reading stories about them.

Feel me?

• 2 months later...

Sorry to disappoint Zorrro, but the best of the Wire is already over for him. What follows is a series of themed contexts in which the drug dealing and murder and what-have-you takes place - the decline of industry and physical trade, the schools system, politics as organised cynicism, and the amorality of the modern press and media. I'm massively interested in politics, but I don't want to get my politics from fiction, if you know what I mean - any more than I'd want to get music or physics lessons by watching or reading stories about them.

Feel me?

You could live in a bubble and watch X-factor style :censored: and other bubble gum for the eyes and mind. The Wire stands out in a sea of :censored: as it has higher expectations of itself and the viewer and I like that.

Finished season two the other day. Wonderful, wonderful television. Positively salivating at the prospect of watching the third season.

There is a hump to get over with The Wire, once you get over it you are well and truly hooked, enjoy the next 3 series (and yes, they are series, you can stick that "season" crap where the sun don't shine!)

• 3 weeks later...

Season 2 is miles better than season 1. It follows on to an extent.

Miles. Better.

Season 3 is, well, a bit :censored:.

This is spot on. I keep wanting to go back and watch season 2 again. Season 3 was a bit gash, despite some brilliant moments (most of which involved Stringer).

Almost halfway through season 4 now. Big improvement, some of the kids are ace and I'm liking the way the Marlo storyline is going. I'm a bit concerned by McNulty getting all domesticated though, what's all that about? I imagine that'll all change again, but it's a bit jarring at the moment.

More Bunk, too, please.

The humble mother:censored:er with a big-ass dick is a great character.

I'm a politics geek so I like series 3 (I'm not letting it slide) which sets up series 4 nicely in terms of Carcetti. A lot of people really dislike series 2 as it isn't all about the hood and the dealing but it was one of my favourites, 4,2,1,3,5 probably.

If it wasn't for Aidan Gillen I might have ditched season 3 (me neither) after 4 or 5 episodes. Season 2 is glorious, I loved every minute of it.

I've seen the Clay Davis meme a few times without really knowing what it's about - then I saw the scene where Sydnor serves him the subpoena :laught16:

I'm going to be slightly controversial here. I don't understand the plaudits The Wire gets. Don't get me wrong, I'm at the end of Season/Series 2 and it's good, but it's not the greatest ever TV series, as people often seem to suggest it is.

IMO, The Sopranos and Mad Men are way ahead of the The Wire.

Omar's awesome though.

You could live in a bubble and watch X-factor style :censored: and other bubble gum for the eyes and mind. The Wire stands out in a sea of :censored: as it has higher expectations of itself and the viewer and I like that.

...when you put it like that. The Wire is defo a cut above most of the sheet you get on TV, such as those crazy BBC Dickens adaptations. I've got nothing against bubble gum TV though - I just tend not to watch.

Might try Boardwalk Empire next.

I too watch a load of bubble gum, some out of choice, others as my wife likes it and I'm quite happy to watch with her, I also love many awful films and will happily watch them repeatedly. I also like stuff that is a better than that, I refused to watch the wire for ages as I was sick of people telling me how good it was and "not just a cop show" and it took me about 5 or 6 episodes to get it.

• 1 month later...
I'm a bit concerned by McNulty getting all domesticated though, what's all that about? I imagine that'll all change again, but it's a bit jarring at the moment.

Three episodes left of season five. I was right about McNulty, and to my surprise I don't like it :lol:

To be honest, I probably wouldn't bother finishing it if I hadn't been told that the final episode is a stonker. I've hated vast swathes of season five, and season three was pretty crud too.

I'll work my way through a few other series so I can gauge it properly, but I'd be surprised if I thought The Wire was the best thing to ever appear on TV.

Finished. It's definitely a rollercoaster ride, there's no doubt about that. I think it suffers from tryhard syndrome a little too much, but there are many, many incredible scenes throughout the series (note: in its entirety it's a series; the structured sets of episodes are seasons - glad that's cleared up and we're all agreed :wink:).

I'll revisit it all again one day. For now, I need to turn my attention elsewhere. Feels like I've got battle fatigue.

Finished. It's definitely a rollercoaster ride, there's no doubt about that. I think it suffers from tryhard syndrome a little too much, but there are many, many incredible scenes throughout the series (note: in its entirety it's a series; the structured sets of episodes are seasons - glad that's cleared up and we're all agreed :wink:).

I'll revisit it all again one day. For now, I need to turn my attention elsewhere. Feels like I've got battle fatigue.

I think you sum it up quite well mate. It is a bit like a war of attrition, getting through it, but with a payoff that makes you glad you watched it. It's quite a good illustration of the real inner-city-urban-decay America. Well as best as it can be I guess.

I thought Season 5 was a bit weak personally. I believe he wanted to do it because of the journalism aspect, given he is a journalist himself. But that whole McNulty story arc where he's created the mystery serial killer felt a bit contrived and sullied it ever so slightly.

I'm going to leave it a good decade or so and then revisit it. Maybe I'll make my nephew watch it.