The Wire

Like it says above. Season one starts tonight at 10 on FX. I know a lot on here recommended it so I've got it series linked! Better be as good as y'all said and not like that bloody Glee! Someone still owes me an hour back for that......

I've watched the first two episodes of The Wire. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Everyone I know who likes it reckons the first two seasons are just back story before the real action. That's an entire day of watching television before owt good happens. :censored: that.

Like it says above. Season one starts tonight at 10 on FX. I know a lot on here recommended it so I've got it series linked! Better be as good as y'all said and not like that bloody Glee! Someone still owes me an hour back for that......

Try Boardwalk Empire, if you haven't already of course.

I've heard good things of Treme also, however I not too sure about it - I admit I have judged it solely on the

I've watched the first two episodes of The Wire. Don't see what all the fuss is about. Everyone I know who likes it reckons the first two seasons are just back story before the real action. That's an entire day of watching television before owt good happens. :censored: that.

There are so many things wrong with this post I don't know where to start! :tongue1:

The whole thing is 5 series long, you can not judge this on the first 2 episodes, it took me a couple of episodes to get truly hooked, this isn't to say that they first ones aren't good just that I had had a bellyful of "OMG, teh wirez is the bestest TV evah!" so that when I came to watch it I was very "meh".

The first season starts off as any other US cop show with the maverick cop who doesn't much care for those pen-pushers up at city hall but he gets results! But as the story unfolds you realise it is more, much more than this. It is rare for a TV series to invest so much time into the criminals of the piece and humanise them whilst at times demonising the police and blurring the lines between what is right and wrong, on both sides of law and order.

I got through the first series not sure who the characters were (there are so many) or know whether I should like them or not or be rooting for them but from what I have read this was kind of what the writers and creators were aiming for. One thing I knew by the end of the series was that I wanted to see how it played out, it helped that I had the boxed set and spent most of that weekend in B'more and able to put the next episode on straight away.

But I've just done exactly what put me off it for so long, the more someone tells you something is good, the more I resist it. Watch it, or don't watch it, just don't judge it off the first few episodes or "wait for it to get good". It is slow burn and drips, drips, drips the story along revealing its brilliance in little nuggets, but I'm doing it again and building it up.

Some people like it, others don't, I'm firmly in the like it camp and glad that I did give in a give it a fair crack of the whip and reaped the rewards.

Really? The first series is far and away the best one. The rest veer into social policy hectoring a bit too much for my tastes.

I had trouble with the gangsta chatter and some of the police chatter too. Put the subtitles on till you get used to it is my advice.

:lol:

I just don't have the time nor patience for stuff like that. I was hoping I'd be wowed immediately and not want to turn it off. There's too much going on for me, far too many characters, it's difficult to keep track of who's who and what's going on and why.

Essentially, I have ADHD.

Try Boardwalk Empire, if you haven't already of course.

I've heard good things of Treme also, however I not too sure about it - I admit I have judged it solely on the

My recommendations:

The Sopranos - What started it all off

The Wire - Phenomenal

Mad Men - Cool

Boardwalk Empire - Best era in American history

Treme - A must for all music fans. Toot toot.

• 2 months later...

Heh heh. Just seen the clip of Webay that one o the guys on here has as his avatar. Wondered when that would come up. Gotta say, this Wire :censored: has got me hooked......

BJ - when's the next one on according to your planner, only next Weds' is Cleaning Up, which seems to be about the tenth episode?

According to the announcer after last nights episode, next week is the last in the series. Funnily enough, and completely coincidentally, i looked on my planner yesterday and the series link had cancelled. Made me wonder if last nights was the first episode of series 2. Keema getting shot would have been a good cliff hanger to finish on. Mind u, that was before the announcer announced his announcement at the end of last nights.....

According to the announcer after last nights episode, next week is the last in the series. Funnily enough, and completely coincidentally, i looked on my planner yesterday and the series link had cancelled. Made me wonder if last nights was the first episode of series 2. Keema getting shot would have been a good cliff hanger to finish on. Mind u, that was before the announcer announced his announcement at the end of last nights.....

Nah, that clip of Weebay you saw is at the end of Season 1, when he's ordered to 'gid rid' of Little Man in the aftermath of Kima's shooting. Season 2 focuses on the docks.

The Wire is simply incredible and viewers should keep in mind they're watching a very, very realistic social study of America, the 'war on drugs', the whole corrupt, filthy world of politics and dirty arse-end of Capitalism. It's not 'a cop show'. The Wire will go down in history as one of the most hard-hitting TV shows ever made.

I found The Wire terribly hard to get into myself, I'm pretty bad at loyally watching shows right through, I'm too easily distracted. Took me until after the half-way point of the first season before something hooked me right in. It was mainly the Barksdale crew scenes that I loved and kinda switched off when anything slightly slower such as the tit for tat sniping and point-scoring with the upper echelons of the police department. But after I'd watched the whole thing I sat through it again with the missus as she watched it and found myself getting more engrosses with the more dull aspects seeing things I'd missed the first time round.

I'm currently watching The Shield at the moment but that simply is 'just a cop show'. It's not as good as the Wire, a lot of it seems contrived and a bit silly (where the main character keeps looking like he's getting into trouble and keeps slipping the net) but it's a decent watch. I think when you've seen the Wire, everything else just doesn't seem that good!

Boardwalk Empire is very good, in particular the attention paid to building the sets and the costume designers. I've got Treme to watch but am going to watch that after I've The Shield.

I've got Treme to watch.

Now, I've found that hard work. It gets better, but it wasn't worth it IMO.

The one I have found has improved is 'In Treatment'. The first series dragged on, the second is miles better and very watchable (but you have to have seen the first series).

NB. And I like that Lord of the Rings with tits in it.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

• 3 weeks later...

The Wire is amazing, i actually thought the first eason was the best but 4 and 5 were brilliant as well. Boardwalk Empire is definitely worth watching, can't waity for season 2 after the 1st season finale. To be honest though, if there is one show you shouldn't miss it's Deadwood. Deadwood beats all other HBO shows comfortably, unbelievably good. Al Swearengen is way more badass than Omar!

• 2 months later...

Right, I got The Sopranos first season while I was away with work a few weeks ago. The subject matter appealed more than The Wire, so I thought it'd capture my imagination a bit more and 'teach' me how to get through these lengthy American TV dramas. It did. A lot. If anyone has the rest of The Sopranos seasons they want to lend me, feel free.

Anyway, after my trip through Nu Joisey I thought I'd move on to Baltimore for a while. It's taken me a lot longer than anticipated but I had 'the moment' in episode 8. Finished episode 10 last night and I'm sat here wishing I wasn't at work so I could polish off the final 3.

The Sopranos still edges it at the moment :tongue1:

Watched the last 2 episodes of Wire season 2 last week. Couldn't really get into the series but the last 3 episodes picked up the pace..... and then it finished! Hoping season 3 is better than 2......

Controversially series 2 is one of my favourites, very different from series 1 but is a big part of the wider story arc. The Wire is about Baltimore, not the POlice, not the drugs or the gangsters, Bmore is the star of the show. The series at the Docks shows the changes in what was once mass industry and shows corruption in the unions, church, police...

Series 3 is good, back to familiar territory and if I recall that is the one with a lot of politics, ties in themes from both the preceding series. I really could do with watching the whole thing again, fantastic telly!