Tactically inept.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

back on topic I thought Charlton came out 2nd half to hold on for the 0 0 draw and sat unbelievably deep knowing the keeper and the big number 12 would win a lot coming in from the wings. I thought we tried very hard to break them down but just lacked the quality to unlock them, not something you can really blame the manager for when the club has to let its most creative player go on loan to Southampton. I think Dickov is doing a good job on a tight budget.

back on topic I thought Charlton came out 2nd half to hold on for the 0 0 draw and sat unbelievably deep knowing the keeper and the big number 12 would win a lot coming in from the wings. I thought we tried very hard to break them down but just lacked the quality to unlock them, not something you can really blame the manager for when the club has to let its most creative player go on loan to Southampton. I think Dickov is doing a good job on a tight budget.

That's far too sensible a post for this thread. You didn't use the word 'mong' or 'munich' once.

But yeah, spot on, Charlton were always going to sit back in their own half when they went down to 10 men. I'm getting thoroughly sick of the word 'frustrating' but we created chance after chance in the second half without ever looking like scoring. Our strikers' confidence has gone through the floor (Tounkara especially), and fair play to our midfield for shooting from outside the box but shots like that don't go in when you're on a run like we're on.It's still a vast improvement on last season.

:fighting:

Why bring people who died into it? So what if Utd players, still humans and died. Say that to their families eh?

Some moany people on here, and you call the main stand for being moanny!!!

:mainstand:

Yesterday they conceded the wings, and packed the centre, so it was obvious we would go out wide and fling crosses in, and M'voto has a mucher better chance of getting on the end of one of the crosses than Feeney. Wasn't a situation in which Feeney would be effective (he may have been.. but doubt it) and M'voto had a bigger chance of making an impact. Lets not forget PD is in first ever season in any form of management. And lay of Tonk eh, hes in his first ever season, only played youth and reserve games before, and played what, 40 games for us this season? Obviously he's going to shattered physically and mentally come the end of it. He's almost at a decent amount of goals for target man. However, don't let facts come in the way of a good old moan of how :censored: he is and how he should be banging 20+ goals in during his first professional season.

:fighting:

Why bring people who died into it? So what if Utd players, still humans and died. Say that to their families eh?

Some moany people on here, and you call the main stand for being moanny!!!

:mainstand:

Yesterday they conceded the wings, and packed the centre, so it was obvious we would go out wide and fling crosses in, and M'voto has a mucher better chance of getting on the end of one of the crosses than Feeney. Wasn't a situation in which Feeney would be effective (he may have been.. but doubt it) and M'voto had a bigger chance of making an impact. Lets not forget PD is in first ever season in any form of management. And lay of Tonk eh, hes in his first ever season, only played youth and reserve games before, and played what, 40 games for us this season? Obviously he's going to shattered physically and mentally come the end of it. He's almost at a decent amount of goals for target man. However, don't let facts come in the way of a good old moan of how :censored: he is and how he should be banging 20+ goals in during his first professional season.

Shhh! We dont want any real tactical analysis on OWTB!! Throwing on more small forwards who never score was the key to victory yesterday!

Couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread but here's my two penneth...I'm far from being a happy clapper but I thought we were excellent yesterday, dominated as you should against 10 men for an hour. Only a combination of bad luck and good goalkeeping prevented us getting 3 points. All we need is someone to put the ball in the net and, in fairness to Dickov, he had nobody at his disposal on the bench to do that so I don't get all this "tactically inept" bollocks. On another day we would have won without breaking sweat :getmecoat:

I knew you were going to say that as soon as i posted.. i'll re-phrase, we don't want w*nkers who criticize the manager after a 'good' season, even if it has been a season of two halves.

How is Lukers criticising Dickov any more wankerish than everyone criticising Penney at this point last season? Is 4 points and 0 wins really the difference between the "worst manager we've ever had" and "glory hallelujah the savour lord Jesus Dickov has arrived"?. How is this a good season if last season was a disaster? All I'm saying is, if people are looking for someone to criticise for our recent collapse then the manager is as good as a place to start as any. Dickov doesn't get a free pass 'cause "we like him". If people want to call for his head then who are any of you who were calling for Penney's head this time last season to argue? You can't have it both ways.

How is Lukers criticising Dickov any more wankerish than everyone criticising Penney at this point last season? Is 4 points and 0 wins really the difference between the "worst manager we've ever had" and "glory hallelujah the savour lord Jesus Dickov has arrived"?. How is this a good season if last season was a disaster? All I'm saying is, if people are looking for someone to criticise for our recent collapse then the manager is as good as a place to start as any. Dickov doesn't get a free pass 'cause "we like him". If people want to call for his head then who are any of you who were calling for Penney's head this time last season to argue? You can't have it both ways.

Because the football last season was dire. Absolutely terrible.

The experienced Penney destroyed our team and the inexperienced Dickov has been given the task of completely rebuilding - a job I think he's done well and has built a foundation for the future.

You're right, Dickov shouldn't get a free pass because "we like him", but the fact that we do and he seems interested, energised and is obviously trying to do the right thing under a lot of constraints gets him more respect from me than Dave "Couldn't give a Monkey's" Penney ever could.

Edited by JoeP

Some points i agree on some, some i dont agree on.

Agree Dickov can't be given a 'free pass' because we like him, however criticism for Penney was much more justified. The football was dire, the hands in pocket i dont give a monkeys what the fans think approach was dire, and the fact that Penney's dire football was part of the result of Blitz & Gazal removing their financial backing. This season is a good season, we've seen marks of progress up PD & GT, football played the right way and the effort from the majority of players, whereas last season we saw hundreds of fans leave and as of yet to return, and thousands of pounds chucked away (Joe Colbeck anyone? £70k!!!!) and the contracts we've had to pay up..

Some points i agree on some, some i dont agree on.

Agree Dickov can't be given a 'free pass' because we like him, however criticism for Penney was much more justified. The football was dire, the hands in pocket i dont give a monkeys what the fans think approach was dire, and the fact that Penney's dire football was part of the result of Blitz & Gazal removing their financial backing. This season is a good season, we've seen marks of progress up PD & GT, football played the right way and the effort from the majority of players, whereas last season we saw hundreds of fans leave and as of yet to return, and thousands of pounds chucked away (Joe Colbeck anyone? £70k!!!!) and the contracts we've had to pay up..

were not a million miles away from a decent promotion push...nobody knows if feeney plays again this season we have to pay him some kind of bonus...if thats the case i wouldnt even name him in the squad..if its not,then im sorry but tonks has been pretty much :censored: for the last 15 games now....i dont give a toss if sunderland want him to play each week...feeney should be replacing him now simple as...

the striker situation has to be sorted out for next season..feeney and reid are not the answer...maybe brooke will come back better again who knows...

i dont think dickov is tactically inept,i just think out of loyalty to his players he waits too long to change things round...he genuinley wants them to succeed,but sometimes a change is good...

<Breezing over the LaticsLee / Ritchie82 / Lukers 1 name calling, keyboard waving, foolishness in the middle of the thread>

I think a few have already hit the nail on the head so far – for me Dickov is far from being tactically inept, tactically stupid or whatever has been said; for me he has done plenty right this season; but has on occasions shown a bit of naivety and inexperience; to be expected when you consider its his first season in management at any level.

As long as he learns from it; builds on it and is flexible enough to change his ideas from time to time; then its all part of him becoming a more experienced & seasoned football manger. The longer he stays with us; and the more he learns from his mistakes; the more benefit to us as a club will occur – he learns & improves as a manager; meaning we get a better manager as a result.

On Saturday I have to say I wasn’t too impressed to see Big Jean summoned up front again if I’m honest – but with hindsight; I’d say it was a sensible decision – but with an added change for me at the same time.....

Powell had shouted on the instruction at around 55mins to go to 4-4-1 after being 4-3-2 since the sending off; and his No 2; “Alex” (don’t know his surname) shouted to Wagstaff & BWP to ‘leave the wings & tuck in’. It was always going to be obvious that we’d see a lot of the ball on our flanks and be able to cross the ball into the box. With just Benson up front for them, I feel we could have gone 3 at the back way sooner than we did – either sticking Big jean upfront straight away at that stage or pushing Evina into a LW role.

I can see why PD put M’Voto up there; as we were putting high balls / crosses into the area & not winning anything from Fortune & Doherty – but i would have brought on Lewis A way sooner than the token 1 minute he got; say around the 65-70 min mark; as he offers something different to what was on the pitch. For me; he would have come on for Tonk; as he wasn’t on it & Reid was actually having a pretty impressive game IMO.

It’s just blatantly obvious that we currently don’t have a striker on the books who PD thinks is the solution; otherwise they’d be playing wouldn’t they?? I think Feeney’s no-shows of late say all they need to; PD has made a mistake in signing him & he has realised it. Brooke did look very promising in pre-season; but his injury has set him back massively & he looked a totally different player in his recent showing; more like the Brooke of old; not the fired up & strutting Brooke of pre-season. And as for PD himself; he’s said it a few times now – he isn’t training every day, isn’t anywhere near ready for 1st team football and has all bar the announcement; retired hasn’t he? That leaves you with exactly what he went with on Sat – Reid & Tounkara. So, not tactically inept – just working with what he has right now; trying to make the best of it and changing it as he saw fit.

Shhh! We dont want any real tactical analysis on OWTB!! Throwing on more small forwards who never score was the key to victory yesterday!

more small forwards ? what small forward did we have on at that point?

and Feeney never scores because he has never been given pitch time to prove it !!

Good post Sly.

Reid / Alessandra for me. They'll form a partnership.

I’m not sure that will happen. I don’t know what goes on Mon-Fri in training – plenty on here claim to have ‘people in the know’, contacts who tell them the in’s & out’s of the day to day dealings, but I don’t have that luxury so i have to just say it as I see it.

After starting the season in the starting line up & looking good in a new role – Lewis has just disappeared from view. It looks as though he is massively out of favour for whatever reason.

It’s a real shame; as it looks like that 3 different managers have spent time with LA, seen him play & train and have then not fancied him after a period of involvement. It’s a strange one as; ever since I saw him play in the youth team & reserves; I have always rated him. He is technically a very accomplished footballer; he appears to have a (much used term) good footballing brain and he doesn’t lack for speed or strength either. On that basis; he should have kicked on since his youth days – but he hasn’t – and there must be a reason why not.

It was posted on here that he lacks confidence in himself & that is reason why managers lose patience with him. I don’t know enough to comment on that – but; all i can see is that at the moment he sint involved in the starting X1, appears to be out of favour & not in PD’ plans. His deal is up in the summer & on that basis – I can’t see him being offered a new one; which is a shame for me; as i do see a very good player there; one who offers much but has; for whatever reason; not been allowed to show it.

Reid & Tonk up front on sat – I’d be amazed if it was anything different.

I’m not sure that will happen. I don’t know what goes on Mon-Fri in training – plenty on here claim to have ‘people in the know’, contacts who tell them the in’s & out’s of the day to day dealings, but I don’t have that luxury so i have to just say it as I see it.

After starting the season in the starting line up & looking good in a new role – Lewis has just disappeared from view. It looks as though he is massively out of favour for whatever reason.

It’s a real shame; as it looks like that 3 different managers have spent time with LA, seen him play & train and have then not fancied him after a period of involvement. It’s a strange one as; ever since I saw him play in the youth team & reserves; I have always rated him. He is technically a very accomplished footballer; he appears to have a (much used term) good footballing brain and he doesn’t lack for speed or strength either. On that basis; he should have kicked on since his youth days – but he hasn’t – and there must be a reason why not.

It was posted on here that he lacks confidence in himself & that is reason why managers lose patience with him. I don’t know enough to comment on that – but; all i can see is that at the moment he sint involved in the starting X1, appears to be out of favour & not in PD’ plans. His deal is up in the summer & on that basis – I can’t see him being offered a new one; which is a shame for me; as i do see a very good player there; one who offers much but has; for whatever reason; not been allowed to show it.

Reid & Tonk up front on sat – I’d be amazed if it was anything different.

i dont think its a conficence thing with him..i think its more of a not knowing his right postion in the team..he is used as a winger and also as a striker and has been asked to play behind a front 2 from time to time...he hasnt been the same since his injuries and i just think its a case of getting game time..wether thats in the ressies to build up his fitness and stamina or in the first team...he does offer something different,but like has been said i think his times up at the end of the season...