A New Football Stadium

An interesting little story from today’s Observer about the impact on house prices when a new football stadium is built nearby.

“The construction of a new football stadium is rarely a source of joy for those living nearby – but it appears they are wrong to think it will cut the value of their homes.

In a ground-breaking piece of research, two economists found the construction of a new stadium actually raises local property prices by as much as 15%.”

They concentrate on the Emirates and Wembley, but I wonder what some of the luddites and nimbys in Failsworth town would have thought if they could have expected their home values to increase by as much as 15%.

The Observer

Hah. The Emirates is hardly in a deprived part of London. Wembley's not exactly lovely but London house prices exist in a bubble (I should know, I've been trying to buy a house here for years and prices are not dropping). The article says that it couldn't be down to house price inflation but I'd love to see the logic as to why it couldn't.

At the end of the day, a successful commercial development in an area will push up property prices compared to other areas.

I'd be pretty certain that most of those in Failsworth would have benefited from this effect.

A stadium on its own with no other commercial attachment? Less obvious.