• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got to agree with Macca signing Scholes would show the 'undecided' fans that we mean business. Would put more bums on seats, more media interest and more shirt sales. Don't think it will ever happen but would do the club the world of good.

Got to agree with Macca signing Scholes would show the 'undecided' fans that we mean business. Would put more bums on seats, more media interest and more shirt sales. Don't think it will ever happen but would do the club the world of good.

Me too. I'd certainly make more of an effort to get down and see Scholes' brief stint at Latics - not that it'll happen.

Of course someone with the profile of Scholes would increase the number of fans coming through the gates maybe not all season long but without doubt the first two or three. It isn't going to happen and the problem with someone of his ability is that he would make passes our players wouldn't expect and would make him look stupid. Wellens first year here x100

I've never read a quote from Paul Scholes in which he says he loves Latics. He's mentioned Frankie Bunn and Stitch as his favourites when his dad took him to watch them, and when he picked his all-time favourite XI, he included ex-Latics Stuart Balmer in the heart of defence.

Taggart once said something to the effect that if Scholes leaves OT, there's only one club he'll play for and that's Oldham. That was intended to deter rival clubs rather than give Latics supporters hope. Taggart has since said there's no chance of him dropping to League One.

The following are extracts from interviews with Paul Scholes or articles, leading to the will he play for Latics question?

Sept 2007 - MEN

Scholes, who recently passed the landmark of 500 United appearances, isn't ruling out one day swapping the red of United for the blue of Oldham, the team he watched from the terraces as a boy, and where in his youth he represented Boundary Park Juniors.

He said: "As for Oldham, you just don't know what will happen in the future... I suppose it could happen, you never really know."

March 2008 – The Independent

"There was always going to be a time when someone came in who's young and sprightly, with a lot of ability and will keep you out of the team. I know there probably isn't that much time left, so you have to try to enjoy it as much as you can, coming to training, playing games. I hope it's a long time away. I just want to concentrate on playing for as long as possible."

If that eventually means moving on from United, so be it. "It won't be far, I'm very much a home person," he says.

His first love, Oldham Athletic, might be in with a shout.

July 2008 – The Independent

"I can't say that I can't wait to finish, but I am looking forward to finishing being involved with everything that goes with it. I suppose people are just very invasive and are always wanting to know what you're going to do. The only thing I will definitely miss is the football, not the general life of a footballer.

"At the moment, though, I just think two years would be about right. I feel OK right now and as long as I feel OK then I'll carry on.

"It's difficult to say whether I want to bow out at the top [with United] or not," he added. "I'll just have to see, when the time comes, whether I want to carry on playing somewhere else at a lower level. But I don't look that far ahead."

Sept 2009 – The Republic of Mancunia

Sir Alex Ferguson reckons after two decades at the top there is no way Scholes will be going down to League One to play.

“I don’t think this is Paul’s last season,” said Ferguson. “What else has he got? He’s a football man. He isn’t going to drop down through the leagues, I’m sure of that. “Once you’ve played for United for as long as he has – almost 20 years, Christ – what else are you going to do? I’ve read stuff about him going to play for Oldham in his last year. No chance.”

Note to Taggart: Of course you've read that stuff, because it was you who started the hare running!

May 2009 – The Telegraph

When retirement comes for the former England midfielder, he will not fall into the black hole that consumes many footballers, who find they simply cannot fill the blank canvas that lies in front of them when they leave the game.

Scholes has plans. The family, some coaching and, hopefully, management. And plenty of time with the horses.

He said: "I've got four horses. I really enjoy the horse-racing and I have done for years, but I only really got involved when I had my bad eye in 2006.

"I had four months off, so I went around looking at a few things and I decided to buy a couple of horses.

He added: "I wouldn't rule out management, though. Let's see how the coaching goes first, but I would like to be a manager one day.

"I think I could put up with the demands that it brings. I want to spend more time with the family first, though, because this year has been worse than ever in terms of being away."

"I'd have thought that next season will probably be my last year. I have one year left on my contract, but this year hasn't been great and whether it will get any better next year, I don't know. I've had a knee injury again this season. I seem to get a three-month knee injury every season now.

"It sets you back and I haven't contributed as much as I would have liked to have done. I get pain in my knees most days and I definitely feel my age. The eye problem is still there, but I have probably become totally used to it now and that's not an issue.

"But I've dipped in and out of the team this season and really struggled, to be honest, playing one game every 10 days.

"Some people adapt to that and some enjoy it, but I don't think it has worked for me. It's hard to keep yourself fit when you don't play every week."

Scholes said: "When I finish, I might look back and think, ah yeah, I did alright, I played a lot of games and won a lot of trophies. I've been lucky to do that, but I'll never, ever think that I'm at the same level as the likes of Mark Hughes and Bryan Robson.

"Sparky and Bryan were my heroes, more so Robbo, and I still feel that when I see him around the club now. I loved him playing for United and England.

"People automatically think I'm an Oldham fan, but I have always been United. My dad took me to a few games, but it was always really hard to get tickets for Old Trafford. He was an Oldham fan so, from the age of nine or ten, he started to take me to Boundary Park because we could get in!

Aug 2010 – Tribal Football

Oldham chief Alan Hardy told the Daily Mail: "He's been coming to Boundary Park on a regular basis for a number of years. He knows he's always welcome and can have a cup of tea in the boardroom whenever he's here, but he tends to decline that invitation.

"He likes to stay in the background; he's not one for the limelight and we respect that. He's quite happy with his boys, sitting in the stand behind the goal, in a pair of jeans and a baseball cap.

"It would be wonderful if he could finally play for us one day but whether it'll happen or not, I'm not sure."

Yesterday – England Web-fans

Scholes, 36, has started just over a third of Manchester United's games this season and has refused to agree to a one-year extension like Ryan Giggs.

A close friend of Scholes told The Sun:

"He does not want to go through next season just coming on as a sub for 15 minutes here and 20 minutes there."

Sir Alex Ferguson has already said Scholes will start United's final league game at home to Blackpool on Sunday and over the summer he will try and convince the Manchester United legend to commit to one more year.

The midfielder is set to be on the bench for United's Champions League Final and when asked about Scholes, Barcelona's manager Pep Guardiola commented: "He is the best midfielder of his generation. I would have loved to have played alongside him."

Could the Champions League Final be the last time we see Scholes in a Manchester United shirt? Scholes has often said he would like to finish his playing days at Oldham Athletic the team he supported as a boy. League One next season?

Whether or not he retires from playing today or after the Champions (Second, Third and Fourth Place) League Final, or carries on in some capacity at ManUre or elsewhere, I cannot think of a more appropriate assessment of him than the one from Roy Keane:

"No celebrity bull:censored:... just an amazingly gifted player who has remained an unaffected human being."

Of course someone with the profile of Scholes would increase the number of fans coming through the gates maybe not all season long but without doubt the first two or three. It isn't going to happen and the problem with someone of his ability is that he would make passes our players wouldn't expect and would make him look stupid. Wellens first year here x100

you would get an instant lift....and maybe a few hundred or so who were undecided about a season ticket would get one....the increase would be on pay per day fans coming in...add to that if the season gets off to a good start and builds and builds,and promotion is a real possibility,then a fair few more would come back as well...

like has been said,he is a very shy and inobtrusive bloke,keeps himself to himself and loves being at home with his family.....he has wont almost everything going medal wise,and will either accept a 12 month extension or retire....if he says he wont renew at the reds then thats the time for our club to get things going and keep it going until he says yes or no....

How many would come next year if we got Gary Neville, Giggs and Scholes in? I reckon it'd double our crowd.

i'd cancel my season ticket if we signed Neville.

CTB - yes, defintely.

we could be like Fulham in the 70's when they had Best & Marsh. :grin:

it wont be as effective as everyone makes it out to be.

it would.

most of the stayaways would come back plus 500 to 1000 daytrippers would come most weeks.

we're talking about one of the best players in the world here who, while certainly past his best, still has a year or two at the highest level in him.

I've often thought if we should pick one of the two Manchester teams and sign their legends in an effort to get fans in.

How many would come next year if we got Gary Neville, Giggs and Scholes in? I reckon it'd double our crowd.

It'd take some organising, and would slightly piss the original fans off, but financially it would be a gold mine.

NB. I know it'll never happen as long as Taggart draws breath.

Add Phil Neville and Beckham, the 5 of them could buy the club and rival United for cash. :D