Least players in pre season training ?

even if we sign a few players we will still struggle because we don't have strength in depth. a couple of injuries to key players and we are in big trouble. saw it happen last season and it will be worse this season.

PD has stated that he is looking for quality not quantity this season. Which does mean a smaller squad but also means that if we do have injuries then he will have to bring in youngsters.

If we have too many injuries/suspensions then that may adversely affect the team but I reckon we have sufficient quality in the youngsters to cover for one or two short term losses.

Last season we saw Tarkowski and Winchester come in and do well - this season I would expect both to feature more prominently. Then it is all about which of the other young lads can step up for short periods - Smith, Carr, Millar and maybe even Bembo-Leta and Brooke?

So if we sign a few players of the quality of MVoto, Donaldson, McDonald, Cisak added to Lee, Furman, Taylor, Morais, Black, Reid(hopefully) plus maybe a decent loan signing or two then we may not struggle as much as some believe.

However there are still too many 'ifs' there for me though - in Dickov we trust - but I think we would all like to see the quality arrive soon ^_^

Edited by TheBigDog

PD has stated that he is looking for quality not quantity this season. Which does mean a smaller squad but also means that if we do have injuries then he will have to bring in youngsters.

If we have too many injuries/suspensions then that may adversely affect the team but I reckon we have sufficient quality in the youngsters to cover for one or two short term losses.

Last season we saw Tarkowski and Winchester come in and do well - this season I would expect both to feature more prominently. Then it is all about which of the other young lads can step up for short periods - Smith, Carr, Millar and maybe even Bembo-Leta and Brooke?

So if we sign a few players of the quality of MVoto, Donaldson, McDonald, Cisak added to Lee, Furman, Taylor, Morais, Black, Reid(hopefully) plus maybe a decent loan signing or two then we may not struggle as much as some believe.

However there are still too many 'ifs' there for me though - in Dickov we trust - but I think we would all like to see the quality arrive soon ^_^

well done dude, nice to see a bit of optimism, too much negativity around before a ball has been kicked in anger, makes me wonder why some people bother, every season there is a suprise team, it just could be us!

well done dude, nice to see a bit of optimism, too much negativity around before a ball has been kicked in anger, makes me wonder why some people bother, every season there is a suprise team, it just could be us!

i didnt intend my post to be negative. i am just being realistic. i am very optimistic and have faith in PD and the team. im just not expecting miracles and i fully expect a long tough, season.

Spot on bigdog

The only thing i would say is the season starts very soon, if Dickov is in training he cant get deals done, its not just about signing the right player its about signing the right personality for the squad, is it me or is this season starting a week earlier than last time I would expect 1 in by the end of the week, i really hope we are not putting all our time and effort into players like Donladson to tharound?

en maybe miss out on them and waste time on other targets, but im sure PD knows what he is doing, its not July 1st yet so why the doom and gloom

whats your point ?

We are going to struggle , everyone knows that

The point is surely its best to get all your players together for pre season training rather than adding late inclusions who may not have had the desired training elsewhere.

The point is surely its best to get all your players together for pre season training rather than adding late inclusions who may not have had the desired training elsewhere.

There has to be an argument for contracts to end at the end of may rather than June. The current timetable does not give clubs much space for manoeuvre!

A small squad in pre season training can be a very good thing, professional footballers ought to know that they need to stay fit. So it means we aren't paying someone £1k/week to do something which they can do themselves- aside from match practice.

Gregan missed a bit of pre-season under Penney didn't he? Considering he played every minute of every league game that year it didn't do him much harm, whereas those who did all Penney's pre-season which was extended IIRC, spent a lot of that year injured. Over-training can be a significant problem.

There has to be an argument for contracts to end at the end of may rather than June. The current timetable does not give clubs much space for manoeuvre!

Problem with that would be players wouldn't get a holiday, unless they're willing to risk a month or so without pay.

Problem with that would be players wouldn't get a holiday, unless they're willing to risk a month or so without pay.

Dunno. You get yourself your new contract, then you go on holiday paid. If you don't get a new contract, you should be concentrating on that from whenever your previous one finishes - earlier finish in contract = longer to sort a new one before pre-season starts.

I'm sure if you get in touch with the club PD can take your feedback on board for next season! :grin:

1st of july on friday,i expect maybe a couple of signings then thenover the course of the next couple of weeks additional signings to be made...no need to panic just yet...

yes the point of pre season is to get players in early and learn each others games inside out for when the season begins...however it didnt do feeney any good last season did it...

:petesake: You think Dickov wouldnt love to have his squad ready now ? Its not for lack of trying they havent signed anyone yet its lack of money!

Edited by razza699