Tonight`s game

But as we well know – if we take off our negativity caps for a moment – both Taylor & Morais have very good delivery and can put extremely good balls into the box.

Its the 2nd pre-season game – where once again fitness is more crucial than scoring tonnes of goals. I’m not for one moment saying we shouldn’t be trying to score, I’m more saying last night, along with Barrow, and Blackburn today....are more about getting player out on the pitch and have a good ‘in-game’ work-out.

If we reach Christmas and we haven’t seen 1 decent ball into box then quite frankly we should be packing up and going home; but its the 13th July; its pre-season; we’ve played 2 games that have been packed full of trialists & our contracted players getting 25min to 45mins of action.

Kieran Lee has decent delivery, so too does Paul Black, as I mention above, Taylor & Morais both do. We might make another signing or 2 who turn out to be good cross’s of the ball too; I really wouldn’t be panicking and proclaiming the world is about to end right now. Patience is a virtue and all that. I have upmost confidence we will create chances and we will put plenty of balls in.

Three or four times teams were down to ten men at BP

Brizzle

Plymouth

Colchester

Charlton

and Plymouth apart we failed to break them down, despite having oodles of possession and cross after cross going on. That's not bad luck, that's a lack of variety, yes it's difficult to break a team hell-bent on keeping what they have but you see it done time and again by switching things about...

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be fair i would happily turn into a one dimensional 'stoke city' if it got us results week in week out

Football is a results business, the only problem i have is what happens if taylor and morais are injured then we are left with no creativity at all!

KTF last night means very little we had 7 on trial and i would be suprised if more than 2 of them stay

I hate to say but I totally agree, it is a real worry. We need more creative centre midfielder, a 20 goal a season would be great but they cost money and are hard to find. Watching Latics in the 2nd half of the season left me with a feeling that we lacked oomph, someone who would open a defence up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. I fear this season could be the same, we scored a lot of great goals last season but how many in the 6 yeard box?

I hate to say but I totally agree, it is a real worry. We need more creative centre midfielder, a 20 goal a season would be great but they cost money and are hard to find. Watching Latics in the 2nd half of the season left me with a feeling that we lacked oomph, someone who would open a defence up and grab the game by the scruff of the neck. I fear this season could be the same, we scored a lot of great goals last season but how many in the 6 yeard box?

Goal scored in the 18 yard box

Tonk v Notts County

Jones at Peterborough (Header)

Taylor at Peterborough (Header)

Furman at Brentford

Furman at Southampton

Lee v Notts County

Bembo at Scunny (Header)

Tonk v Bournemouth

Lee v Bournemouth

Taylor v Orient

Kelly v Plymouth (Header)

Tonk v Plymouth (header)

Mvoto v Plymouth (Header)

Tonk v Hudds

White at Daggers

Tonk v Exeter (header)

Taylor v Exeter

Stephens v Hartlepool

M'Voto v Hartlepool (Header)

Taylor at Plymouth

Tonk at Plymouth

Taylor at Carlisle (header)

White at Carlisle

White v Hartlepool

Taylor v Hartlepool

Evina v Hartlepool

Reid v Hartlepool (header)

Reid v Notts County

28 goals in 49 games scored inside the box -

Not one goal from a corner all season, and only one free-kick scored (on the opening day)

To only score 10 goals from headers all season, given the perceived quality of our wide players, kinda :censored:s all over that argument when you had Hazell, M' Voto, Tonk and Trotman who are all a handful in the air….the truth is the final ball was not good enough, either by crossing or playing through the middle….

Edited by oafcprozac

Creative midfidler who is capable of scoring 20 goals...hmmmm...didn't we just sell one?

Stephens wasn't the best player but by far and away one of our biggest goal scoring threats and was fairly creative in the middle but he's gone now so fook it, on to the next one for a season.

This has to rank as one of the most frustrating pre-season's and it's not helped by the fact we have people writing so called "articles" who clearly no jack :censored: about what's actually happenning. If i see another article claiming there will be an imminent signing i'm going to cry.

Creative midfidler who is capable of scoring 20 goals...hmmmm...didn't we just sell one?

Stephens wasn't the best player but by far and away one of our biggest goal scoring threats and was fairly creative in the middle but he's gone now so fook it, on to the next one for a season.

This has to rank as one of the most frustrating pre-season's and it's not helped by the fact we have people writing so called "articles" who clearly no jack :censored: about what's actually happenning. If i see another article claiming there will be an imminent signing i'm going to cry.

You only have to watch the DVDs from last season to know he was at the heart of everything good. Furman's tenacity, engine and tackling is his strong point his penetrative passing is not….

Three or four times teams were down to ten men at BP

Brizzle

Plymouth

Colchester

Charlton

and Plymouth apart we failed to break them down, despite having oodles of possession and cross after cross going on. That's not bad luck, that's a lack of variety, yes it's difficult to break a team hell-bent on keeping what they have but you see it done time and again by switching things about...

You (and Beeg) make some fair points – and the goal stats I can’t argue with; but in terms of the bolded; you’ve answered you own question. How many times do see a side go down to ten men and yet still get a result. It almost always galvanises them; and they usually go into a very defensive but solid 2 banks of 4 and a lone striker to tokenly try to entertain the opposition back 4. If I try to be as levelled headed and realistic as possible; I’m not too sure what more the players or management could have done; other than what they did. We didn’t panic in any of those games; we didn’t try to overly force it too soon or resort to simply lumping it forward as soon as the player was back in the changing room; we were patient; tried to work our way round them and we did create chance after chance after chance; surely you can remember that? We were toe-pokes, hair lengths away from getting on the end of balls in; we forced save after save from their keepers, and only with 5 plus added on did we resort to big Jean or Trotman and the over-load.

I too watch(ed) a heck of a lot of games & I’m not so rose tinted that I can’t / don’t see what you’re (sort of) saying.......I just happen to think that we’re not a million miles away from having a side that is indeed capable of scoring goals & winning football matches. Another 2 / 3 strong additions to the side and we’re looking pretty tidy. We do create chances, finishing them off is the crucial bit for me. If we start to do that (& I belive with a good; strong striker signing we can do), confidence across the side will build and we’ll go from there.

Now Call me a happy-clapper if you want; I just happen to think I’m more realistic in my expectations and try to find positives where there are plenty, instead of constantly looking for the negative in every situation. From what I know of last season; what I see PD trying to achieve, from the players we have at our disposal right now (+ the ones still to come in)....I can see us scoring goals; goals that will win us games of football.

You only have to watch the DVDs from last season to know he was at the heart of everything good. Furman's tenacity, engine and tackling is his strong point his penetrative passing is not….

didnt stephens take all our corners and free kicks

In certain games last season - you only have to look at the management team.....time and time again we threw a defender up top when we had strikers on the benchl. I can understand it with 2-3 mins to go but there were games when Mvoto was playing up front with nearly 15 minutes left...

When you do that - you increase temptaion to launch it forward instead of playing football

Edited by Fruitygoo

Pretty much, him and Phil Morris

so if he was pretty much at the heart of everything we did well and good,how come we didnt score more corners and free kicks then????

there is no doubt he was a good player...but could also be lazy and tended to hit too many hollywood balls were a simple lay off would suffice....

feeney was shocking...ruben reid out of shape and unfit,tonks ran out of steam.....thats where the big problem lies...someone to get on the end of everything...

go back to the glory days if ya like...2 flying wingers and 2 strikers willing to get on the end of everything,thats what were missing...your the stats man...how many chances did we create all season or in last 2 months whichever is easier...like has been said,we are creating them..

I have said I will reserve my judgement on him, remember he has played against non league Barrow and Mossley and has yet to register a goal, however if he works hard and continues to improve I will take my hat off to him.

Time will tell.

scored today..

To only score 10 goals from headers all season, given the perceived quality of our wide players, kinda :censored:s all over that argument when you had Hazell, M' Voto, Tonk and Trotman who are all a handful in the air….the truth is the final ball was not good enough, either by crossing or playing through the middle….

Aye, it must have been disheartening for Rubes and Big John. Constantly busting a gut to get into the box only for Morais to fluff his ball in, the donkey. Even Trotters made a number of well-timed run from the bench, all to no avail...