The Buckinghamshire Advertiser

OLDHAM ATHLETIC

OLDHAM looked like sneaking into the play-offs at the turn of last season.

But a dramatic slide saw them tumbling towards the dropzone and finishing a disappointing 17th.

Player/boss Paul Dickov has hung up his boots to concentrate on running the side and it probably highlights the job he has on his hands.

Key player Dean Smalley opted to drop down a division to join Oxford while tricky winger Cedric Evina moved to Charlton to be closer to family.

Even defender Ritchie Jones has left Boundary Park for Bradford.

Are they all jumping a sinking ship? Quite possibly.

I have tipped them to survive but if there is one team who could upset my predictions then it could be the Latics.

I fear they could find themselves in big trouble.

Ground: Boundary Park (10,638 capacity)

Nickname: The Latics

In: Matt Smith (Solihull Moors, free); Jean Yves-Mvoto (Sunderland, free); Alex Cisak (Accrington Stanley, free); Zander Diamond (Aberdeen, free); Matthew Lund (Stoke, loan);

Out: Lewis Alessandra, Rod McDonald, Josh Ollerenshaw, Andy Todd, Dean Brill, Reuben Reid (all released); Dean Smalley (Oxford United); Cedric Evina (Charlton, free); Lewis Alessandra (Morecambe, free); Reuben Hazell (Shrewsbury, free); Ritchie Jones (Bradford, free);

Distance: 208 miles (3 hours 49 mins)

Last season: 17th

My prediction: 18th

<Prozac Mode>

Might not have the specifics right, but I expect they are nearer reality than 90% of people on here.

We are deep in :censored:. Look at the team. Look at the depth. People say 'In Dickov we trust'. Fair enough, we did alright until teams started defending deep.

If there is no plan B we are knackered (be it the longerball with Smith*). If there isn't one - we're Stockported.

Cisak sounds a great signing. Mvoto, maybe I'm wrong. I think he's about the norm for this division. But, lose taylor and we are down by 20 points. As it is I have us down - with Taylor.

*Who the only person on here to have seen anything of him, says he's not that type of player.

</Prozac Mode>

NB. No offense to Prozac, as it appear me and him are in large agreement.

Have another cider you miserable git! If what that reporter is basing his predictions on is the worst of it i think we'll be fine! We have the same core of a good squad that we had last season. I think it's the quality of young loanees we can get in that defines how far we in from here.

<Prozac Mode>

Might not have the specifics right, but I expect they are nearer reality than 90% of people on here.

We are deep in :censored:. Look at the team. Look at the depth. People say 'In Dickov we trust'. Fair enough, we did alright until teams started defending deep.

If there is no plan B we are knackered (be it the longerball with Smith*). If there isn't one - we're Stockported.

Cisak sounds a great signing. Mvoto, maybe I'm wrong. I think he's about the norm for this division. But, lose taylor and we are down by 20 points. As it is I have us down - with Taylor.

*Who the only person on here to have seen anything of him, says he's not that type of player.

</Prozac Mode>

hahahah,i have to laugh..the journo has really done his homework on us if they cant even get our key players right and in there respctive positions....i seriously doubt we will mount a playoff charge,but i think we will improve on last seasons leage position...and have a decent cup run...i have nothing at all to base it on...other than the players we have signed,and the hope that now funds maybe available from feeney going,we can bring in 2 poss 3 decent quality loans.....i doubt we will go down...there are at least 4 teams worse than us...

I'll drink the apple juice and sleep/run around like a loon as you well know. I just don't think the team is much above fourth league, and frankly I see little reason to think the manager is either*.

I know these are :censored:ty words - but IMO we are right in there with the worst of the division.

Yeovil, Bury, Stevenage, Dale, us...

*Great start last year, but never changed his stance once things went tits up.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

Lacking depth in the squad.

But then the transfer window is open for another 27 days.

A bit more height on the pitch is certainly needed - to give an alternative to the pretty stuff. Let's just hope they mix the pretty stuff and the hoof up a bit, becasue with Smith the temptation to launch it long every time might be too much for some lower league players.

While the paper clearly knows little about why players left, the prediction of 18th is realistic.

Dickov may have learned a lot about his own failings last season. If he has, we'll finish higher.

<Prozac Mode>

</Prozac Mode>

I'll drink the apple juice and sleep/run around like a loon as you well know. I just don't think the team is much above fourth league, and frankly I see little reason to think the manager is either*.

I know these are :censored:ty words - but IMO we are right in there with the worst of the division.

Yeovil, Bury, Stevenage, Dale, us...

*Great start last year, but never changed his stance once things went tits up.

That's a pretty realistic assessment with no sign of blue tinted specs.

We really didn't have a plan B last season, and once Exeter had shown our weak points in the second half at BP, everybody exploited them (Especially Southampton) and we tumbled down the table.

I saw little to suggest Taggart was teaching the defence anything, and the lack of goals was very worrying. Like everyone else, I really hope we've improved, and PD will continue to get my support, but the realist in me says we'll end up little higher than the bottom six.

We still have a team though - and we still have faith and hope, if not glory.

OLDHAM ATHLETIC

OLDHAM looked like sneaking into the play-offs at the turn of last season.

But a dramatic slide saw them tumbling towards the dropzone and finishing a disappointing 17th.

Player/boss Paul Dickov has hung up his boots to concentrate on running the side and it probably highlights the job he has on his hands.

Key player Dean Smalley opted to drop down a division to join Oxford while tricky winger Cedric Evina moved to Charlton to be closer to family.

Even defender Ritchie Jones has left Boundary Park for Bradford.

Are they all jumping a sinking ship? Quite possibly.

I have tipped them to survive but if there is one team who could upset my predictions then it could be the Latics.

I fear they could find themselves in big trouble.

Ground: Boundary Park (10,638 capacity)

Nickname: The Latics

In: Matt Smith (Solihull Moors, free); Jean Yves-Mvoto (Sunderland, free); Alex Cisak (Accrington Stanley, free); Zander Diamond (Aberdeen, free); Matthew Lund (Stoke, loan);

Out: Lewis Alessandra, Rod McDonald, Josh Ollerenshaw, Andy Todd, Dean Brill, Reuben Reid (all released); Dean Smalley (Oxford United); Cedric Evina (Charlton, free); Lewis Alessandra (Morecambe, free); Reuben Hazell (Shrewsbury, free); Ritchie Jones (Bradford, free);

Distance: 208 miles (3 hours 49 mins)

Last season: 17th

My prediction: 18th

I saw this earlier. 'Clueless' springs to mind.

This the act of great journalism, a caveat.

If I wrote a caveat like that, after everything I wrote I would get everything right too!

*Your Stock Markets Shares may go up and down*

We really didn't have a plan B last season, and once Exeter had shown our weak points in the second half at BP, everybody exploited them (Especially Southampton) and we tumbled down the table.

What weak point was this. They got back into the game and our heads went wibble.