First game my thoughts

Hi all my thoughts for the game from what I heard on the radio -

overall good performance from us, we got a dodgy decision against us followed bby a mistake which led to the goal, our heads went down and we got nervous this cost us the second goal.

all in all though I was impressed, the team seemed to have a lot to offer, Diamond sounded superb, Cisack kept a cool head, Parker brought us some pace and taylor, furman and the young lads give their all in effort again.

other than that 10 minutes of madness I think we matched the team that could finish top of the league this year.

one other thing to note though, barely heard a mention of Reuben Reid other than "is offside" or "gives away possession" so think parker may have earned himself a starting spot above him.

No i didnt go to the match, I couldnt afford it, like i said just my opinion

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

overall good performance from us, we got a dodgy decision against us followed bby a mistake which led to the goal, our heads went down and we got nervous this cost us the second goal.

all in all though I was impressed, the team seemed to have a lot to offer, Diamond sounded superb, Cisack kept a cool head, Parker brought us some pace and taylor, furman and the young lads give their all in effort again.

other than that 10 minutes of madness I think we matched the team that could finish top of the league this year.

one other thing to note though, barely heard a mention of Reuben Reid other than "is offside" or "gives away possession" so think parker may have earned himself a starting spot above him.

Reid is gash. Everyone knew it at the end of last season but convinced themselves otherwise when he was inexplicably signed up for another year.

Having said that, I'm not going to get carried away over a defeat against what I believe will turn out to be one of the better sides in this division.

Sheffield deserved the win, pretty even first half without much going on...second half Sheffield upped the game and the kids heads did drop when we conceded a worrying sign of things to come if we go a goal behind?

Reid will lose his place to Parker, he reminded me of Craig Davies and chased everything...Reid offered very little.

Lund didn't impress all too much he spread a couple of nice passes but his delivery wasnt as good as i was expecting on corners.

Smith seemed a bit jaded in the second half especially after he had a clash of heads, and i feel we have placed a hell of a lot of expectation on this guy who has only played handful of non league football!

IMO we need a Striker (although i think parker and Smith could work well) and a centre midfielder. We will benefit from Morais coming back massively but when you looked at our bench today....

Mellor, Miller, Brook, Gerrard, Parker.....kinda says it all how weak this is....even our first 11 to say we have gone for a smaller squad with more quality is massively inexperienced!

GULP

reid knows what he wants to do but im not sure he knows how to do it.

think we were the better team first half, and the last 10-15 mins were great, unfortunately half time came along and the team and crowd lost the buzz and sheff u came out fired up, changed plan and deserved to win.

back 4 were alright, but they really need to get talking to cisak, cost us the second goal and maybe a couple more when it felt like hazell was playing! if we get them all communicating, we shouldnt be conceding too many.

Reid is gash. Everyone knew it at the end of last season but convinced themselves otherwise when he was inexplicably signed up for another year.

Having said that, I'm not going to get carried away over a defeat against what I believe will turn out to be one of the better sides in this division.

reid was ok, he just needs games with smith. saying that though, parker might push him because he looked sharp and up for it after he came on. won't love him just yet though because reid himself looked good when he came on last season.

like you, i reckon sheff u will be top half, but we made it too easy second half for them and they probably looked better than they are. as for us, we'll be a good team if we're patient and give them time... only problem is, how much time do we have before it's a relegation scrap? dickov's got to get a result in the carlise/yeovil/scunny games and guick.

Not too down-hearted at that.

I thought we were the better team 1st half - then we had a mad opening 10mins in the 2nd half and that was that; end of.

We look 'OK' - decent enough side; but it's the age old issue; where are the goals coming from?

Don't know what JYM had at HT but whatever it was; he shouldn't have it again. Rock solid in the 1st half and terrible in the 2nd; at fault for both goals and nearly cost another.....(Reuben Hazell would be vilified for less)

Josh Parker looked lively when on; and I think warrants a start & Zander D was awesome at the back and MOM for me.

Not too down about it - Shef Utd have a favourite tag and I think they'll be Top 6 material......its just the usual issue of goals, goals, goals for us.

Thought we did alright. We started to get on top just before half time, and that ruined our momentum really. For the first time in ages we looking threatening from set pieces which is good. I thought Diamond looked like he is going to be a gem class for us this season.

Edited by alwaysablue

Not too down-hearted at that.

I thought we were the better team 1st half - then we had a mad opening 10mins in the 2nd half and that was that; end of.

We look 'OK' - decent enough side; but it's the age old issue; where are the goals coming from?

Don't know what JYM had at HT but whatever it was; he shouldn't have it again. Rock solid in the 1st half and terrible in the 2nd; at fault for both goals and nearly cost another.....(Reuben Hazell would be vilified for less)

Josh Parker looked lively when on; and I think warrants a start & Zander D was awesome at the back and MOM for me.

Not too down about it - Shef Utd have a favourite tag and I think they'll be Top 6 material......its just the usual issue of goals, goals, goals for us.

Did someone put sleeping tablets in his tea ?

Offensively it's difficult to comment, Sheffield United were very well drilled in defence and made it very tough for Smith, even when he did flick it on they seemed to have it covered. The midfield struggled to really take hold of the game, Furman was steady as usual but Lund was quiet and was poor at dead balls.

I'm afraid Reid was very poor today, just seemed to walk around and didn't really make much of an attempt in the air or to chase balls, complete contrast to Parker who came on and threw himself at everything and chased every ball with speed.

Defensively I thought Diamond and Mvoto were superb, dealt with Porter in the air with ease and read the game very well. The entire team seemed to fall apart in the 10 minutes after half time and apart from Furmans header cleared off the line we couldn't really get back in to it.

They were a decent side though and I fully expect that they will be up there at the end of the season.

Sheffield United were the stronger team and the better team for 90 minutes.

But, even allowing for the difference in quality, I thought that display was totally unacceptable.

Easy comparison for me would be the first game of last season at Tranmere. There we battled for everything. Chased lost causes. Went in for 40/60 balls and forced mistakes. Today we let them dictate. We had little in midfield, nothing up front and when the defence fell asleep it was game set and match Blades.

We will go down if players don't put a shift in. I don't think they did today.

Cisak - 5 - came for a lot but one awful punch in the first half worried me. Seemed to be in someway at fault for their first goal, not clear how the corner reached the scorer - TV will confirm if that's fair or not.

Lee - 6 - did ok, would probably have been better swapping positions with Winchester.

Black - 6 - I though he had a half decent game without being stunning.

M'Voto - 5 - did the basics well a lot of time but then developed a couple of doses of Hazellitis with unforced errors.

Diamond - 4- ridiculous head on the half way line to concede possession that lead to their second and missed a sitter when most would have hit the target.

Furman - 5 - worked hard but inneffective

Lund - 4 - contributed little and is yet another example of a player from a Premiership club who's dead piece distribution is variable in quality.

Winchester - 5 - committed to the cause, not afraid to get stuck in, but lacking the pace to play on the right of midfield. Their left back was excellent.

Taylor - 7 - excellent first half performance when he was our only threat. Faded a little in the second half.

Smith - 3 - looked like a non-league triker. Very few flicks on, which disappointed. Not what he was v Burrnley.

Reid - 2 - inability to jump and seemed unwilling to risk getting hurt for the cause. Did occasionally chase back, but was, on the whole, the poorest player on the pitch by a million miles.

Millar - 4 - didn't improve the balance of the side, although it's the substitution I'd have made.

Parker - 7 - fast, skilful and up for it. Must start next time.

I think a lot of players let themselves down today. When you're up against a better team you have to work harder than that to get anything out of the game. We didn't today.

It's early days. But we're at least one striker short, 2 midfield players and I'd suggest need more than Tarkowski for cover at centre half. Both the big men showed their weaknesses today and it wasn't pretty.

Edited by opinions4u

I liked Diamond. He looks like he would run

Over his granny to win a ball and was constantly shouting and getting involved.

Parker should start as he was making nice runs into channels and looked like he wanted it. I don't think it's as depressing as could be made out. Tuesday night I believe that Dickov will play a full strength team and all will be well again hopefully. KTF

I liked Diamond. He looks like he would run

Over his granny to win a ball and was constantly shouting and getting involved.

I tihnk he's got a lot of promise. But the way he gave them the ball to score the second was shocking.

Parker should start as he was making nice runs into channels and looked like he wanted it. I don't think it's as depressing as could be made out.
I think Parker should start.

Tuesday night I believe that Dickov will play a full strength team and all will be well again hopefully. KTF

The problem is, that was a full strength team, with the exception of Morais - and while he has match winning potential he leaves the central midfielders with a lot of work to do. I know there's 24 days of transfer window left. We need to add some quality. But above and beyond that, I think the commitment level throughout the team was less than it should have been today.

M'Voto - 5 - did the basics well a lot of time but then developed a couple of doses of Hazellitis with unforced errors.

Diamond - 4- ridiculous head on the half way line to concede possession that lead to their second and missed a sitter when most would have hit the target.

I agree M'voto had a couple of lapses in concentration but I thought he was as solid as ever for the most part.

As for Diamond, I think that's unfair, won almost everything in the air today and read the game very very well. What he lacked in pace he made up for with his positioning!

But, even allowing for the difference in quality, I thought that display was totally unacceptable.

Easy comparison for me would be the first game of last season at Tranmere. There we battled for everything. Chased lost causes. Went in for 40/60 balls and forced mistakes. Today we let them dictate. We had little in midfield, nothing up front and when the defence fell asleep it was game set and match Blades.

Cisak - 5 - came for a lot but one awful punch in the first half worried me. Seemed to be in someway at fault for their first goal, not clear how the corner reached the scorer - TV will confirm if that's fair or not.

Lee - 6 - did ok, would probably have been better swapping positions with Winchester.

Lund - 4 - contributed little and is yet another example of a player from a Premiership club who's dead piece distribution is variable in quality.

Winchester - 5 - committed to the cause, not afraid to get stuck in, but lacking the pace to play on the right of midfield. Their left back was excellent.

Taylor - 7 - excellent first half performance when he was our only threat. Faded a little in the second half.

Smith - 3 - looked like a non-league triker. Very few flicks on, which disappointed. Not what he was v Burrnley.

Reid - 2 - inability to jump and seemed unwilling to risk getting hurt for the cause. Did occasionally chase back, but was, on the whole, the poorest player on the pitch by a million miles.

Millar - 4 - didn't improve the balance of the side, although it's the substitution I'd have made.

I think a lot of players let themselves down today. When you're up against a better team you have to work harder than that to get anything out of the game. We didn't today.

It's early days. But we're at least one striker short, 2 midfield players and I'd suggest need more than Tarkowski for cover at centre half. Both the big men showed their weaknesses today and it wasn't pretty.

don't know what game you were watching, but Diamond was 9/10 for me - MOM absolute rock - for their 2nd goal all the defence and midfield went AWOL - Black was the only 1 back and when they crossed it we had a player either side of cresswell and he still managed to score.

We have willing players but missing that bit of quality where needed.

Morais will add to us yes and Smith in 6 months will be a real handful.

However, no midfield umph - all running and sideways passing from furman and lund but (was the same last year) neither of our mid 2 ever advance behind the srikers, they are always deep next to each other.

We need a Wellens type - not so much passing, but someone who gets the ball in the middle and drives the team forward with it and brings the others with him - we don't have that spark in their (heard Lowe is coming on loan again from Blackburn - again I hope we dont get him as he did nothing when here - same as stephens, sideways passing with no real desire to move forwards with it (although he does like a shot now and again)

Taylor again huff and puff - pace but no brain to anticipate anything or create any chances - sell him whilst we can - take his pace away and what can he do - pass? no, shoot well? debatable; cross? when has he ever whipped in crosses ala Eyres - no.

Up top we NEED someone like Cody Mac on loan - come on SC take 100k out of the stephens money and get him in, a livewire and also a runner alongside smith.

All effort and willingness - no complaints there, we just need 3-4 bits of quality and we should then be ok - whether we get them or the players brought in have them is debatable.

whatever happens we have who we have - it is out of our control. All we can do is support them which i personally will do - come May if we do go down then that's football and life.

BUT lets be positive - we were never outclassed by Sheff U at all today and they are an average team at best - we gave them their 2 goals to an extent not marking men and :censored:ing around at the back and had the better chances with the headers, could easily been 2-2.

Last season the only team to outclass us truly was Saints at home.

All teams much of a muchness - get the quality in and we will be OK.

KTF - Potential is there

Edited by shefflatic

Normally agree with O4U but that is (mostly) the biggest load of :censored:e I have ever read……. :grin:

Edited by oafcprozac

Meh, must be my time of the month :grin:

I thought we were :censored:e today. And it wasn't just the opposition that made us look that way.

The impression I got from that post was that you turned up today wanting us to fail, you don't seemed to have taken notice of anything positive at all.

Meh, must be my time of the month :grin:

I thought we were :censored:e today. And it wasn't just the opposition that made us look that way.

We were, but individually and collectively not as bad as you thought…except for Reid :wink:

Dickov should get a :censored:e rating too for playing Lund (Mamton part II) instead of Carl W in CM and he should have brought Parker on at HT and certainly after the first goal. Instead he froze with his arms folded….and they scored again, as for your Taylor rating??? Nope he was back to old :censored:-out we know so well, simply didn't fancy it today…..my prediction of us carrying on where we left off last season may not be far off the money…..we need some serious quality in…instead we'll sign more kids….

Cisak looked confident, claimed crosses and was brave

Diamond was superb imo

JYM Was shaky

Smith needed a 90 minute partner

Winchester was a bright spark in the first half

Furman has gone back to playing the deep lying role, Dickov simply has to realise that having on of our best players not passing the halfway line is hurting us and has done since February...

As for Diamond, I think that's unfair, won almost everything in the air today and read the game very very well. What he lacked in pace he made up for with his positioning!

Agreed. Not who opinions4u was watching.

Edit:

Your impression is wrong.

Sorry I think yours is. :blush:

Edited by oldhamains

Agreed. Not who opinions4u was watching.

Well he did miss a sitter and the half way line header cost us the second goal.

Sorry I think yours is.

By all means feel free to disagree with my views of the game and how we played. But the accusation that I turned up wanting us to fail is utter nonsense.

as for your Taylor rating??? Nope he was back to old :censored:-out we know so well, simply didn't fancy it today…

…..we need some serious quality in…instead we'll sign more kids….

taylor played well when he had the sheffield fans against him and just wanted to prove a point against them. it got him attacking and it was good to watch but after the second half, they forgot about him and he (and the team) lost their momentum from that 15 minutes before HT

Cisak looked confident, claimed crosses and was brave

Diamond was superb imo

JYM Was shaky

Smith needed a 90 minute partner

Winchester was a bright spark in the first half

Furman has gone back to playing the deep lying role, Dickov simply has to realise that having on of our best players not passing the halfway line is hurting us and has done since February...

for the bit in bold - you could tell cisak, JYM and diamond havent played together but once they start communicating we'll have a great back line

you say smith needs a 90 minute partner, i agree but reid/parker isnt the one. so we need someone else to do that, maybe with a bit of experience. looking at cresswell today, he knew where to go and what he was doing and got into a good position to score a good goal unfortunately

agree with furman too, but that means someone like spanish marc to sign. lund wont break it up to let furman attack so until someone comes in, furman will be staying in that role.