Results from Feb

We lost the first game of 2002/03

We lost the first game of 2006/07

We got to the play offs both seasons. In fact 2006/07 we were in the bottom half til october. Not saying we will make the play offs, but people over react

Correct me if i am wrong but are we not 2 games into a new season?

I think the wider picture is that it is 2 wins in 21, the poor run has continued into the new season, despite a change in personnel, we look equally toothless in attack. My main gripe is the manager unlike the majority in this league is scraping around for players after the season has started that is unforgivable and a waste of pre-season imho. Yes we lost the first two games in 06/07, actually we lost 4 out of the first 6 but the signs were there that we were simply a good striker away from a decent side and once that striker recovered from injury we were a good side.

Dickov's failings go beyond that, Wesolowski is a decent signing but he is not the answer, we need a ball player in the mould of Wellens or Stephens. Someone who can play that probing pass, all i've seen in pre-season is a persistence to pass backwards, or sideways with very few runs from midfield into the box. This is what is killing us and why our tempo is so slow.

I know Dickov can do no wrong to many and he does have a difficult job, and he has my full support, but the problems have been there since Stephens left in March and still haven't been resolved and I think it is right people question his failings. The second half on Tuesday was abject and simply not good enough.

Correct me if i am wrong but are we not 2 games into a new season?

That may be factually true, but the point about the first post (I think) is that it feels more like a continuation of the last season.

The attitude needs to be more of " start as you mean to continue" rather than "continue where you left off".

Time will tell (and I suppose November is as good a time-frame as any) which of these paths we are following.

I think the wider picture is that it is 2 wins in 21, the poor run has continued into the new season, despite a change in personnel, we look equally toothless in attack. My main gripe is the manager unlike the majority in this league is scraping around for players after the season has started that is unforgivable and a waste of pre-season imho. Yes we lost the first two games in 06/07, actually we lost 4 out of the first 6 but the signs were there that we were simply a good striker away from a decent side and once that striker recovered from injury we were a good side.

Dickov's failings go beyond that, Wesolowski is a decent signing but he is not the answer, we need a ball player in the mould of Wellens or Stephens. Someone who can play that probing pass, all i've seen in pre-season is a persistence to pass backwards, or sideways with very few runs from midfield into the box. This is what is killing us and why our tempo is so slow.

I know Dickov can do no wrong to many and he does have a difficult job, and he has my full support, but the problems have been there since Stephens left in March and still haven't been resolved and I think it is right people question his failings. The second half on Tuesday was abject and simply not good enough.

I agree with everything you've said. This isn't about the start of this season. It's been a poor year. It includes two humilating home defeats and some very poor quality football.

The tempo thing struck me on Saturday. I wondered if fitness levels were as they should be, especially with the drop in stamina levels.

Pretty poor, 2 wins I think and 12 goals scored, if the same run continues until November what would be the outcome?

From the Dagenham game and including Tuesday's League Cup tie it's 2 wins in 21, scoring only 10 goals - only 1 of those (Reid at Notts County) was scored INSIDE the box (if you discount two penalties) and we've failed to score in 14 of those games….

That may be factually true, but the point about the first post (I think) is that it feels more like a continuation of the last season.

The attitude needs to be more of " start as you mean to continue" rather than "continue where you left off".

Time will tell (and I suppose November is as good a time-frame as any) which of these paths we are following.

Thats correct, stats dont lie, I said November as its plenty of time into the new season to assess if any progress has been made.

I am just at a loss as to how we can start jumping to the conclusions which we are doing so soon.

We have played a whole 2 games!! One against Sheff Utd where we more than matched them in the first half and heads dropped after an early silyy goal and a second game finishing on a par after 120 mins with a team that we should be there or thereabouts with.

This is a new season and a different team with different personnel. Lets see where we are when we have played 5 games in the league eh. The comments at the moment are ridiculous. I could have swore Matt Smith hit the cross bar twice on Tuesday. Fair enough you get nothing for that in a game but I am sure this lad will start to score goals and become a real handful.

Wasn't Stephens criticised last season by many for passing sideways? I'm sure he was. As for goals, lack of them has been pretty much endemnic since our Premiership days with a few players managing to pop more than average away (McCarthy, Porter, Beckett, Hughes) but not exactly something whoch has happened to us recently.

So far I have seen nothing to suggest that we will struggle to hit a midtable position and improve over last season. Some people really need to get a grip!

I am just at a loss as to how we can start jumping to the conclusions which we are doing so soon.

We have played a whole 2 games!! One against Sheff Utd where we more than matched them in the first half and heads dropped after an early silyy goal and a second game finishing on a par after 120 mins with a team that we should be there or thereabouts with.

This is a new season and a different team with different personnel. Lets see where we are when we have played 5 games in the league eh. The comments at the moment are ridiculous. I could have swore Matt Smith hit the cross bar twice on Tuesday. Fair enough you get nothing for that in a game but I am sure this lad will start to score goals and become a real handful.

Wasn't Stephens criticised last season by many for passing sideways? I'm sure he was. As for goals, lack of them has been pretty much endemnic since our Premiership days with a few players managing to pop more than average away (McCarthy, Porter, Beckett, Hughes) but not exactly something whoch has happened to us recently.

So far I have seen nothing to suggest that we will struggle to hit a midtable position and improve over last season. Some people really need to get a grip!

Have you read any of the prevoius posts?. Maybe read Prozacs explanation.

I think that's pretty harsh. An awful lot of players haven't sorted themselves out even now because they're holding out and holding out for a better deal. A lot of clubs are still bringing in players - Sheff Wed for example. It would have been nice to have the squad sorted early on in pre-season, but that seems to be becoming a far less realistic expectation and I think Dickov's done reasonable well given the limitations he's working within. Creative midfielders and goalscorers are always going to be the hardest players to come by, even more so with our budget.

I think that's pretty harsh. An awful lot of players haven't sorted themselves out even now because they're holding out and holding out for a better deal. A lot of clubs are still bringing in players - Sheff Wed for example. It would have been nice to have the squad sorted early on in pre-season, but that seems to be becoming a far less realistic expectation and I think Dickov's done reasonable well given the limitations he's working within. Creative midfielders and goalscorers are always going to be the hardest players to come by, even more so with our budget.

Whether its harsh or not Stevie, I'm convinced that due to our limitations within the squad will see us running out v Stevenage, having played 5 lost 5 not because we're :censored:e, but because any further signings will need time to bed in…..hope i'm wrong….and the striker we're after probably won't change a great deal. I think the strikers we have, have the potential to come good but without any service we'll continue to draw blanks. ONE goal inside the box from open play in 21 matches is ridiculous….

yes, what is your point?

Im going to cut and paste this, its probably the only thing me and prozac have every agreed on..

Whether its harsh or not Stevie, I'm convinced that due to our limitations within the squad will see us running out v Stevenage, having played 5 lost 5 not because we're :censored:e, but because any further signings will need time to bed in…..hope i'm wrong….and the striker we're after probably won't change a great deal. I think the strikers we have, have the potential to come good but without any service we'll continue to draw blanks. ONE goal inside the box from open play in 21 matches is ridiculous….

This isn't accurate.

I apologise for the mistake, however, my in-accuracy cannot hide the fact that we have a pretty horrific record in front of goal.

If this record is acceptable then fair do's.

My point was if this form carries on until November, then what could possible happen.