Answers To Questions

With Oldham Athletic's game at Walsall just a few days away, I was wondering if you good people would be able to answer a few questions for me in preparation for the match, and I can take the responses back to our site Walsall Web Fans ( http://walsall.web-fans.com )and our forum by way of a preview to the fixture? Here goes...

1.How do you rate Paul Dickov and his management style?

2.Shefki Kuqi is a proven goalscorer. How do you think his partnership with Ruben Reid will develop?

3.Ruben Reid has already knocked in four penalties for you so far this season.How has his general play been?

4.How do the fans stand on the proposed £20 million move to Failsworth? Would you really want to leave Boundary Park?

5.What sort of relationship do you have with chairman Simon Corney?

6.Who do you see as your rivals?

7.Turning to the Walsall game, do you have any predictions?

8.The early 90's were fantastic years for Oldham. What were the key factors for the decline?

9.What are your views on two former Saddlers in their time at your club, Michael Ricketts and Darren Byfield?

10.And finally, where do you think you will finish in League One this season?

Thanks for your time. If you could answer the above or at least some of them I would be most grateful.

1 doing well with the budget provided and trying to play football the right way using some savvy buys and youth players

2 both have different styles but have only played only together once so time will tell. Has potential to develope into a handy partnership.

3 improving game on game. still has alot to prove though.

4 dead in the water. looking like boundary park is to be developed after all

5 sc is the marmite of football chairmen. he comes out and tells it as it is and some people don'y like this. he tells us things like finances etc and some fans don't like what he has to say.

6 closest geographically are rochdale but the gate the other week proves they are no real draw to us. the yorkshire clubs provide most banter along with tranmere. most of us hate united and/or city due to the support they have in our town through sky sports.

7 tightly contested game but our form has been inconsistent so impossible to predict. Being a blue though, got to go for latics win.

8 miss management. lost royle and key players. money was never reinvested in playing staff or facilities and now we find ourself where we are now. we also cannot compete with united or city so crowds have tumbled

9 ricketts never really turned up. there was a hype when he signed but after that he did nothing. byfiel struggled to get fit and when he was struggled for form.

10 most of us would take mid table. if we are lucky with injuries etc i'd say 10-12th. our squad is quie bare though so if we get a few injureis would say 16-18th. could go either way

Dickov seems enthusiastic, honest and committed. Last season's start gave hints that he has the ability to be the Messiah on a shoestring. Last season's finish made it quite clear that he has a hell of a lot to learn. I'm of the view nobody else could come in and improve our lot with the same budget, so let's give him 3-5 years.

2.Shefki Kuqi is a proven goalscorer. How do you think his partnership with Ruben Reid will develop?

Based on the 70 minutes they played together on Saturday, it's very promising. Reid is improving his game as his work rate improves too. Kuqi's presence created room in behind the striker that Reid uses well. Both need better service from the midfield though.

3.Ruben Reid has already knocked in four penalties for you so far this season.How has his general play been?

First game he didn't look up for it. Since then his game has improved sharply and a couple of performances have troubled the man of the match ajudicators. The jury's still out on Reid. He needs to start creating and scoring chances from open play. But there's definitely a footballer in there somewhere.

4.How do the fans stand on the proposed £20 million move to Failsworth? Would you really want to leave Boundary Park?

I think most fans want Latics to play at a sustainable Boundary Park. But many were coming round to the Failsworth idea when the plan apparently died. A purpose built stadium somewhere close to the town centre maybe the best option for the football club, but no such site exists. So at the moment a new stand with decent facilities for additional income seems to be the outcome.

Corney's fine, if occasionally emotional. "I've got no money but we're not going bust" is the current situation. Honest, if unsuccessful at improving the club.

Rochdale are next door, but it's a bit like Ned Flanders - a nice bloke to take the piss out of. Huddersfield is less than 20 miles away, and both sides have taken 3,000 to the away fixture on occasions. The likes of Stockport and Leeds have generated an occasional rivalry and we like to mock Tranmere and Blackpool. There's a particular dislike of Man Utd.

Low scoring draw.

8.The early 90's were fantastic years for Oldham. What were the key factors for the decline?

Loss of Joe Royle and failure to invest at the righ time. Probably the latter more than the former. I'd compare us to Bolton who got their shiny facility next to the M61 at exactly the right time.

9.What are your views on two former Saddlers in their time at your club, Michael Ricketts and Darren Byfield?

Ricketts was a shocker in his time for Latics. Lazy is generous! But I thought he was excellent when he returned to BP on loan (2-0 same season at Christmas) and pulled the strings in a deeper role when we beat you 3-2 the following season. Byfield was never quite match fit in his first loan period with us, showing glimmers but little more. In his second spell I thought he'd gone as a footballer.

While I'd love to trouble the play-offs, 20th or higher will do. Last season's 17th is realistic, although the Kuqi impact could make a difference.

New to the game and started like a house on fire. However, at home teams started defending deeper and he had no response to this. It's early doors yet and I would never look to sack a manager within three years but he best get learning a quickly otherwise the hounds will be barking at his door woofing things like 'City'.

I honestly think this will be Dickov's saving grace this year. I had us down, but now I'm not too sure. He was just what he needed. Reid is a fat, lazy git who's having a penalty laced purple period. And i should know what one looks like.

3.Ruben Reid has already knocked in four penalties for you so far this season. How has his general play been?

He's been excellent this season, I just don't belive it will continue due to his attitude previously.

Dead in the water. I was in favour, but no point in respilling the milk.

I don't believe everything he says, but I can't knock the guy for his commitment to the club. Most normal people would have gone years ago.

Rochdale.

I think you'll edge the game, but I am starting to be known as Mr Negative nowadays.

Jesus, have you got four days? The board taking the money and not backing us at a pivotal moment must be top of the list. Royle not knowing his arse from his elbow when signings went above £30k. But overall, just being a small club was bound to get us down to what frankly is our appropriate level.

Oh my, you do have four days. Byfield knew where the goal was, but was either unfit or not trying. Didn't like him. Ricketts was a decent player hounded out by the fans. He gets all kinds of stick, but had the airs and graces of a player above our level. He probably could have put more effort in as well. Certainly didn't deserve the 'Die, die, Ricketts die' chant.

I still think we'll get relegated. But, I'm miles more optimistic now we've signed Kuqi.

Some good replies there folks. Those early 1990's must have been tremendous. Walsall have never enjoyed such dizzy heights.

If it helps, I first watched Oldham due to a like of David Kelly in the Walsall side.

Those early nineties are still a dream involving Samantha Janus and Angela Rippon. Not sure what was happening, but I liked it.

If it helps, I first watched Oldham due to a like of David Kelly in the Walsall side.

Those early nineties are still a dream involving Samantha Janus and Angela Rippon. Not sure what was happening, but I liked it.

Ha! What a coincidence!

I will be seeing David Kelly in action later today in a charity match.

He's in there with my early day hero's. Greame Souness was my first. Steve Moran remains my all time one. Then there's Kelly, Sheridan and a whole bunch of Oldham players, which I won't even bother listing on here.

With Kelly, I just remember a sublime over head kick into the top corner when you were getting out of the Fourth Division (I think it was, it may have been the Third). Just a player way out of his depth, in a good way.

He's in there with my early day hero's. Greame Souness was my first. Steve Moran remains my all time one. Then there's Kelly, Sheridan and a whole bunch of Oldham players, which I won't even bother listing on here.

With Kelly, I just remember a sublime over head kick into the top corner when you were getting out of the Fourth Division (I think it was, it may have been the Third). Just a player way out of his depth, in a good way.

Yes that would have been when we got out of the old Third Division in 1987-8. His contract was up and he wanted First division football and signed for West Ham. Didn't really take off for him but had good spells at Leicester, Newcastle, Wolves etc.

I thought Walsall had two great centre backs a couple of years ago in Gerrard and Dann, I suppose like Latics the problem is when you get good players they are soon sold.

This really answers your question 8 when Latics took the money for the likes of Earl Barrett, Ricky Holden, Paul Warhurst, Mike Milligan, Ian Marshall and ripped the heart out of the team, replacing them with IMO inferior players.

Denis Irwin who went on to become one of the best full backs in the world was sold for a paltry £625,000 to Manchester United.

Edited by BP1960

I thought Walsall had two great centre backs a couple of years ago in Gerrard and Dann, I suppose like Latics the problem is when you get good players they are soon sold.

This really answers your question 8 when Latics took the money for the likes of Earl Barrett, Ricky Holden, Paul Warhurst, Mike Milligan, Ian Marshall and ripped the heart out of the team, replacing them with IMO inferior players.

Denis Irwin who went on to become one of the best full backs in the world was sold for a paltry £625,000 to Manchester United.

Hi RH. Indeed pal. Gerrard and Dann and indeed Danny Fox from the same back four was a hugh blow. On top of that a couple of years previous Matty Fryatt went to Leicester then Hull and Julian Bennett to Forest. All young men with terrific potential. Only last summer Troy Deeney went to Watford. Like yourselves and many others in league one we are just a selling club. Yet they get replaced with free transfer players many of whom you have never heard of. Some quality in your players you listed.

Edited by sadlad

Jury's still out to some extent - first half of last season was excellent but the latter half was awful. Steady start to this season. He needs to show he learns from his mistakes. For me, he's doing as well as can reasonably be expected on a crappy budget.

I rather he was partnered with someone else. I'm one of seemingly few who still isn't all that impressed with Reid but I think Kuqi's a good signing and can still do some damage at this level.

His movement isn't bad but he's a whingebag who never really looks like scoring in open play.

Those plans are dead as others have mentioned.

I think he's a bell end but most Latics fans think he can do no wrong.

Don't really have any anymore but Hudds, Rochdale and Bury are local enough that the fixtures against them should have some atmosphere.

Close game. Could go either way.

Shocking and prolonged mismanagement of the club and Mark Hughes.

Both absolutely :censored:.

About where we are currently.

He talks a good game, not always matching his words with his actions. We enjoyed a good start last season but after he went gung-ho we were quickly picked off and could never really regain the momentum we had before the enforced winter sabbatical. An awful run from the beginning of February saw us thankful of that good start, as if the season had gone on another month, relegation would have been a reality. However, I like the guy, in a lot of ways he's been like a breath of fresh air at this club bringing an enthusiasm and a passion for the job we haven't seen since probably Ian Dowie was here. I feel sorry for him that he is having to operate under such financial restrictions but he has shown an ability to pull a rabbit from the hat such as Kuqi and he has formed a tight-knit group of players that just need to match the manager's passion and enthusiasm, especially when the chips are down away from home where we occasionally throw the towel in. I'm in no doubt that given at least a couple of years and given a fair chance of keeping a squad together then we may begin to challenge.

Reid when he arrived was clearly unfit and had a bit of an attitude problem, being released in the Summer may have been the kick up the arse he needed, as within days he was back at BP having signed for less money and a promise he would get himself fit. I would still like to see him with balls played to feet in and around the box as that's where I think he is dangerous. He was poor last Saturday but that apart has worked hard and although his four goals so far have all been penalties I think he just needs one and the rest will follow. As for Kuqi? Well 2 in 2 speaks for itself, he does look rusty but has the knack of all qualities strikers of being in the right place at the right time as long as we continue putting crosses in Shefki will score goals at this level. As for their partnership? The jury's out at the moment as to whether they can work as a pair.

3.Ruben Reid has already knocked in four penalties for you so far this season.How has his general play been? He's worked hard, but needs a goal from open play. He's chasing down more than he was doing.

4.How do the fans stand on the proposed £20 million move to Failsworth? Would you really want to leave Boundary Park? Boundary park is a crumbling relic, testament to a crumbling town. Failsworth was a chance of a new start. Not a popular move but those against it who voted with their feet and now hiding behind a different excuse for not attending the games. Oldhamers have forever been against change but personally although against the move I would have embraced it in allowing the club to move forward. Now we're left with a likely bargain basement renovation of Boundary Park (the lease is to be extended for a minimum of 20 years) that is anybody's guess when it might actually get underway.

5.What sort of relationship do you have with chairman Simon Corney? I'm one of those that refuses to take him at face value, let's leave it at that.

6.Who do you see as your rivals? No-one, who do I dislike? Tranmere and Huddersfield

7.Turning to the Walsall game, do you have any predictions? 2-1 to the Saddlers, we can't defend.

8.The early 90's were fantastic years for Oldham. What were the key factors for the decline? Failing to invest in the infrastructure of the club during the good old days. Too many took out of the club but put nothing back. Selling our best players and replacing them with over-priced journeymen. Then panicking after relegation and gradually selling off/paying the remaining quality, we reaped what we sowed and four years and four months after relegation from the Premier League we were kicking off at Boundary Park in our second season in the Third tier, with a team of kids..it was soul destroying. Now 15 years after arriving in this league many of us are immune to it and just accept our lot in life.

9.What are your views on two former Saddlers in their time at your club, Michael Ricketts and Darren Byfield? Ricketts simply doesn't want it anymore, you can see he still has quality when he feels like showing it - usually on his return here but signing him was a big mistake. Byfield was gash...

10.And finally, where do you think you will finish in League One this season? We're poor defensively and have an ineffective midfield. We're in for a long hard year. 20th would do me...

Edited by oafcprozac

The article has been released this morning and is included in the link provided.

OAFC PROZAC- Your contribution arrived after the site admin edited the article but as you will see from the enclosed link I have cut and pasted your excellent reply so at least the many Walsall fans who like to read this feature will have seen your comments, mate.

http://forum.web-fans.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13277&p=164189#p164189

The article has been released this morning and is included in the link provided.

OAFC PROZAC- Your contribution arrived after the site admin edited the article but as you will see from the enclosed link I have cut and pasted your excellent reply so at least the many Walsall fans who like to read this feature will have seen your comments, mate.

http://forum.web-fans.com/viewtopic.php?f=90&t=13277&p=164189#p164189

:chubb: