Decided i'm gonna have a day out at exeter on the 1st Oct as its a ground i've never been to. Just enquired about train prices sheffield to exeter... cheapest was £114 return. WTF... i thought we were trying to encourage more people on to public transport.

I know its not strictly football related but i thought i'd have a rant. Its the car for me and a pint when i come back. (Hopefully to celebrate a kuqi hat trick)

By the way whats their ground like for anyone who's ever been

I went last year there was hardly end of us over bank holiday weekend, we were truly awful back end last season completley played off park cant see same again this year

Its falling to pecies the ground i think mightboosh is from around there should have a word with him , fans are friendly enough had drink with them outside ground just by away entrance the train stops right ouitside the ground cracking place for a station one best for that in the country but agree fee is stupid, public transport aint exactly reliable either

One better visit, not for the ground but the day out, oh there is no cover over the standing area behind goal and to the side of it and a random rail that runs behind the goal never seen another team who has this not sure if they open that up if they get big game like liverpool earlier in the season think its bout 18 a tickes or something like that away section like a non league/league 2 ground still, there is little seating in the main stand but limited and few quid extra hope this helps

Edited by laticdickovarmy

Decided i'm gonna have a day out at exeter on the 1st Oct as its a ground i've never been to. Just enquired about train prices sheffield to exeter... cheapest was £114 return. WTF... i thought we were trying to encourage more people on to public transport.

I know its not strictly football related but i thought i'd have a rant. Its the car for me and a pint when i come back. (Hopefully to celebrate a kuqi hat trick)

It's a nice little ground. Great area outside with all sorts of different food on so I wouldn't bother buying a plastic sandwich on your way.

I went last year there was hardly end of us over bank holiday weekend, we were truly awful back end last season completley played off park cant see same again this year

Its falling to pecies the ground i think mightboosh is from around there should have a word with him , fans are friendly enough had drink with them outside ground just by away entrance the train stops right ouitside the ground cracking place for a station one best for that in the country but agree fee is stupid, public transport aint exactly reliable either

One better visit, not for the ground but the day out, oh there is no cover over the standing area behind goal and to the side of it and a random rail that runs behind the goal never seen another team who has this not sure if they open that up if they get big game like liverpool earlier in the season think its bout 18 a tickes or something like that away section like a non league/league 2 ground still, there is little seating in the main stand but limited and few quid extra hope this helps

Hi mick,

Agree with most of what Lees and LDA have said, Exeter's a good day out or weekend and as Lees says the Fan area, food and drink just outside the ground are pretty good. If you take the train to St Davids it's about a 25-30 min walk to the ground but there's a Wetherspoons just up the hill from St Davids (Imperial) which is also decent.

The ground itself is mixed, the main (Doble) stand and Big Bank terrace are good for this level and certainly the Big Bank has the potential to create a good atmosphere, unfortunately the Grandstand is very old and the views from the away seats in the stand can be impeded by pillars. The away end is rubbish, probably the worst in the league. It's so bad that I'm strongly considering not going in it this year. As LDA says there's no roof, a rail and no standing area (even for the Liverpool game) which puts you further away from the action and boards halfway up the terrace that prevent you from getting a half-decent view from higher up.

Also (for the people who went last season) this year in addition to all of this, a friend told me that teams with low attendances e.g. MK and Notts. who each took a crowd of sub 150 were pushed into the tiny corner on the away end next to the grandstand. I saw them trying to do the same to Brentford fans although to their credit when they realised it was a tight squeeze they opened the rest of the end up. What they'll do for us I'm not sure but either way, even though it's not much better, the seats in the grandstand would probably be your best bet. Huddersfield boycotted Sheffield United for near £30 tickets (which I agree with) but paying £20 to be in that away end is much, much worse value for money imo. :rant.sml:

Anyway, although I'm sure that sold it to you :wink: I've seen on trainline that you can get two singles for £62 (£31 per single) to St James Park which is right outside the ground or slightly less (approx. £60) to St Davids which is the mainline station. Amazingly I managed to do the opposite journey for Exeter's promotion game at Don Valley a few years back for under £20 and I only booked it a week in advance! So keep a look out online for any massively cheaper deals as they sometimes randomly come up.

Hope that convinced you to travel down, although I have a feeling it didn't. :shy::dunce:

Edited by the_mighty_bosh

Fair play my laptop at work makes me look an idiot, my spelling is not that bad i was on another laptop at the time and some of the keys were crap lol

As i said earlier on great away day Mighty Bosh says its a 25min walk more like 15min, the Weatherspoons opposite the station is good but am sure people like Diego Sideburns will tell you there is plenty of other decent bars and pubs. At the ground you got marquee's simliar to those you see at World cups where away fans are made welcome.

On my past 2 visits we have had the option of standing behind the goal or seating at the side and do not see why it be much different.

Exeter is one of my crowning glories. Drunk three times in one day. Hurrah!

Also served drink by a 10-12 year old in the pub and played "Which detective would you least dislike to be bum raped by?" on the plane.

My mate went with the Gently approach, but I went with Dirty Harry so I could brag about it. In hindsight, this may have been in bad taste, but I was well on the way for drunkenness number one of the day by that point.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

As i said earlier on great away day Mighty Bosh says its a 25min walk more like 15min, the Weatherspoons opposite the station is good but am sure people like Diego Sideburns will tell you there is plenty of other decent bars and pubs.

Yeah thinking about it 15-20 mins is more accurate!

You can go through the centre of town to get there so as said above there a plenty of good places to drink along the way. Also forgot to mention the Great Western hotel which is immediately outside St Davids.

Don't forget you can book travel and accommodation via the PlayerShare WebShop.

Rail travel via MyTrainTicket earns 2% cashback: http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-2927

Loads of different hotel booking sites, including Hotels.com paying up to 6% cashback: http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-3617

Coach travel with National Express earns PlayerShare 3% of the fare: http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-2197