Ed Milibands Speech

Lookers_Carl

A couple of dog whistles for us Labourites, a few good digs at Cameron and Clegg and some clear water put between his Labour Party, New Labour and "old Labour".

I liked the call for a new way of doing things, for me he current economic, political, industrial..yadda yadda structures are broken, they aren't serving us the people. We might like to think that we are all doing ok but unless we are pulling in the £multi-million salaries then we are royally bending over and taking more length than ever before. This is true of the current govt, the last one, the one before...etc.. I liked the "LABOUR Party" bit, emphasising that he wants the party to be on the side of those that do go to work, should answer a few critics as to what the Labour party are?

He didn't flesh out what this new way of doing stuff is but conference speeches aren't about putting flesh on the bones. He has a long way to go to convince the electorate that he exists let alone coming out with detailed 4%-type policies.

He answered a lot of his critics within the party today and at the same time gave the wider electorate a chance to form a view beyond "he's funny looking/wallace/wrong Milliband..etc..yawn" type of nonsense. It took Cameron about 3 years to get the party semi behind him and this was after Hague, IDS & Howard had done their bit.

In about a year he has taken a party that has suffered its second worse electoral defeat and about to enter a period of navel gazing to one that is at least acknowledging that there is a world outside of the party and we had better shape up if we want to get the Tories out. This time after 1997 the Tories were still blood letting and moaning about Europe...

Still some 3 years out from the election and I think he has shed some light on the framework he wants the party to build around, we are still thin on the ground of actual policies but we have been for about 10 years. We don't need them just yet as they would be a waste of time, we need to have these in place in about 18 months to 2 years though to give the electorate a clear alternative to the Tories and the Lib Dems.

The speech did drag in parts but he wanted to get through a lot and to be fair, most political speeches do drag. A solid 7 for me, long way to go but he didn't fall over and :censored: himself, which was a bonus.

Entirely without substance the bits i caught. Hints of being against benefit claiming as a lifestyle choice, in favour of nice people and the nhs. Against tories. Thinks nick clegg is a :censored:. Is the man for telling murdoch not to hack the phones of murdered schoolgirls. Wont be able to reverse all cuts. Doesnt say which cuts he would have made. It was fairly weak stuff i thought.

As a floating voter (voted Labour in 2005, Lib Dem in 2010) I thought in some areas he was extremely hypocritical, especially when he was talking about expenses, life on benefits, something for something society, expenses scandal. Whilst the same cronies are still in positions of power, in particular Ed Balls and Harriet Harman, he is not someone I feel I can currently vote for.

But he certaily could have done alot worse, nowhere near as bad as Iain Duncan Smiths last speech as leader.

Entirely without substance the bits i caught. Hints of being against benefit claiming as a lifestyle choice, in favour of nice people and the nhs. Against tories. Thinks nick clegg is a :censored:. Is the man for telling murdoch not to hack the phones of murdered schoolgirls. Wont be able to reverse all cuts. Doesnt say which cuts he would have made. It was fairly weak stuff i thought.

Who doesn't? Even Clegg must struggle to convince himself otherwise.

I thought it was garbage... He is totally unelectable in my honest opinion.

The funny bit was when he said "I am not Tony Blair" and paused for people to clap... The thing he needs to understand, is the people of the UK elected him three times... on land slides... and he needs to look at someone he is similar to, Neil Kinnock / Michael Foot and where they ended up... The country thinking is to the centre / right at the moment (at has been for about 30 years)... A left sided old Labour thinker, or at least someone who comes across that way, is going to get nowhere.

The Tories are cocking up the country good and proper and leading us into another recession. Labour don't look anywhere near ready to govern again and the Lib Dems are just lying :censored:...

Totally depressed when it comes to politics...

What is funny, is how we will be hearing soon from the Tories about how its a world problem and not their fault. Which is mostly true to be fair (but the stuff they control they seem to cocking up), but they didn't allow that very correct line to float when Labour was in power so will be interesting to watch them wriggle...

Edited by oafc0000

In one year he has achieved more than Hague, Duncan Smith and Howard ever did. Rome wasn't built in a day and most opposition leaders speeches are policy light.

If we pick our politicians on a X-Factor basis, is it any wonder globally we are where we are?

He's lacking in charima though and unfortunatley when your leading a country in negotiations, its something you need.

Yes yes, I know I sound like his #1 cheerleader and this is from Wikipedia but:

"During 2009, Miliband was named by the Daily Telegraph as one of the "saints" of the expenses scandal, for claiming one of the lowest amounts of expenses in the House of Commons.[31]"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ed_Miliband

No moat cleaning or £5000 tellies here.

I thought it was garbage... He is totally unelectable in my honest opinion.

The funny bit was when he said "I am not Tony Blair" and paused for people to clap... The thing he needs to understand, is the people of the UK elected him three times... on land slides... and he needs to look at someone he is similar to, Neil Kinnock / Michael Foot and where they ended up... The country thinking is to the centre / right at the moment (at has been for about 30 years)... A left sided old Labour thinker, or at least someone who comes across that way, is going to get nowhere.

The Tories are cocking up the country good and proper and leading us into another recession. Labour don't look anywhere near ready to govern again and the Lib Dems are just lying :censored:...

Totally depressed when it comes to politics...

What is funny, is how we will be hearing soon from the Tories about how its a world problem and not their fault. Which is mostly true to be fair (but the stuff they control they seem to cocking up), but they didn't allow that very correct line to float when Labour was in power so will be interesting to watch them wriggle...

Yikes, and thats coming from a Labour voter too.

Honest question, do you think he will make it to the general election? If in say in 2013, two years from the election, opinion polls put Labour somewhere in mid 20's, tories high 30's/low 40's, will somebody mount a leadership challenge?

I personally think David Milliband is biding his time, although if Ed doesn't make it to the next election, I am not sure if David will stand for leadership.

Honest question, do you think he will make it to the general election? If in say in 2013, two years from the election, opinion polls put Labour somewhere in mid 20's, tories high 30's/low 40's, will somebody mount a leadership challenge?

I personally think David Milliband is biding his time, although if Ed doesn't make it to the next election, I am not sure if David will stand for leadership.

I can't see Labour rocking the boat by ousting him between now and the next election. If they bide their time, the Tories and Lib Dems are well on track to handing the next election to Labour on a plate, IMO.

I can't see Labour rocking the boat by ousting him between now and the next election. If they bide their time, the Tories and Lib Dems are well on track to handing the next election to Labour on a plate, IMO.

I can't see people forgetting the failure of the last labour administration in a hurry, in the same way that thatchers britain is still a not so distant memory for voters a little older than myself

I pray and hope for D Milliband... I think we are stuck with Ed :(

Dreadful, terrible interview on newsnight. Priority for council houses for people doing stuff the council think is important in the community. Thinks, "derek hatten." Laws to encourage good business practice. A good business is one that makes money within the law, but he's never had a job so he wouldnt know about that. Typical wanky pseudo-intellectual crap with no idea how to apply it.

What I will say is there is no point in him coming out with policy right now... Its fruitless and pointless...

Anything good would just be stolen by the ConDems or balanced off with something... Making policy for three years time is so dangerous as you have no idea what situation we will be in come three years time. So anyone asking him for details right now is being totally unfair.

He has to sell himself and his general vision for the UK and keep well away from policy. The problem is, him and his vision ring alarm bells in me that he hasn't learnt from the last time Labour as sat in opposition in the 80s.