What can PD do now?

Last year, the slump after a good start. Cue quite a major change of personnel, that lesser managers would have gradually done.

This years start has been faltering and we have yet to hit the heady heights of this time last year.

PD stated in his after match interview:

Oldham manager Paul Dickov told BBC Radio Manchester:

"What our players have got to realise is they can't just turn up at football matches and start the way they did today.

"Every time you play football you have to go out there and have desire and, I think, mentally after a couple of wins they switched off.

"It tells me they get complacent. It tells me they don't retain the information we give them and I'm getting a bit sick of it."

Whilst his poit is understandable, adn probably shared by many fans, I don;t think he has left a lot of room for maneouvre, unless we wait till January.

It is not a witch hunt, aferall, anyone that can make a mistake liek Warren Feeney and offload him so quickly deserves repspect.

IT is not Anti PD, he needs time, and possibly good that he is not make sus world beaters as he would be off like a shot.

But what can he do, if the players are not listening?

We've been here before haven't we.

Edited by singe

Players shouldn't have to be told week in week out....we are a third the way through the season and nothing has changed. When we get Furman back playing regularly and Parker we may be more of a threat going forward but I don't think the current team is good enough to mount a playoff challenge!!

Players shouldn't have to be told week in week out....we are a third the way through the season and nothing has changed. When we get Furman back playing regularly and Parker we may be more of a threat going forward but I don't think the current team is good enough to mount a playoff challenge!!

i agree,if your playing football for a living and proffessional at that then you have a certain responsibility to uphold..

if there not listening,then identitfy them,im sure he already knows,but he has to start doing something about it,if that is dropping them to the ressies then so be it...

whilst we dont have a really good strong in depth squad,we should still be able to swap players between 2 teams ie the ressies...

we had this with shez and we all know how that ended.

Last year, the slump after a good start. Cue quite a major change of personnel, that lesser managers would have gradually done.

This years start has been faltering and we have yet to hit the heady heights of this time last year.

PD stated in his after match interview:

Oldham manager Paul Dickov told BBC Radio Manchester:

"What our players have got to realise is they can't just turn up at football matches and start the way they did today.

"Every time you play football you have to go out there and have desire and, I think, mentally after a couple of wins they switched off.

"It tells me they get complacent. It tells me they don't retain the information we give them and I'm getting a bit sick of it."

Whilst his poit is understandable, adn probably shared by many fans, I don;t think he has left a lot of room for maneouvre, unless we wait till January.

It is not a witch hunt, aferall, anyone that can make a mistake liek Warren Feeney and offload him so quickly deserves repspect.

IT is not Anti PD, he needs time, and possibly good that he is not make sus world beaters as he would be off like a shot.

But what can he do, if the players are not listening?

We've been here before haven't we.

Anything above a relegation fight is a real bonus though this year isn't it?

We have small budget, small gates and a small & pretty young squad, and when compared to Charlton, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Hudds, MK…..we were never going to be able to compete with their financial muscle in terms of creating a side that is strong, consistent & would be up there at the end of the season.

It's about managing expectations. Mine was never play-offs at any stage. Yes it would be awesome were that to happen; but realistically it was never going to. Avoiding the drop into L2 is what it's all about; and so far the signs are there that we will be able to do that.

We have an unsettled side, it's had to be chopped & changed all season - and that really hasn't helped. Add to that some young players in the starting X1 & what you get is inconsistency of performance & results.

It'll be win 1, lose 1, draw 1, win 1 lose 2, draw 1 , win 1-esq all the way through the season. I can't see us going on a winning run; as we can't put out a settled side that perform consistently over a prolonged period. Going the way we are at present will see us safe; and that is all that matters really.

PD is doing a very good job at present, working on limited resources & making the best of what is on offer.

We have small budget, small gates and a small & pretty young squad, and when compared to Charlton, Sheff Utd, Sheff Weds, Hudds, MK…..we were never going to be able to compete with their financial muscle in terms of creating a side that is strong, consistent & would be up there at the end of the season.

It's about managing expectations. Mine was never play-offs at any stage. Yes it would be awesome were that to happen; but realistically it was never going to. Avoiding the drop into L2 is what it's all about; and so far the signs are there that we will be able to do that.

We have an unsettled side, it's had to be chopped & changed all season - and that really hasn't helped. Add to that some young players in the starting X1 & what you get is inconsistency of performance & results.

It'll be win 1, lose 1, draw 1, win 1 lose 2, draw 1 , win 1-esq all the way through the season. I can't see us going on a winning run; as we can't put out a settled side that perform consistently over a prolonged period. Going the way we are at present will see us safe; and that is all that matters really.

PD is doing a very good job at present, working on limited resources & making the best of what is on offer.

you better let pd know this expectation then because he has his sights firmly set on top 6,going off his own comments so far this season.....

yes i agree,anything other than relegation is a bonus...we are a team in transit,but this will only work if pd is here for the long haul like big joe was....if pd gets sick of it,then im sure he would find a job elswhere then we are back to square one again...

at the end of the day,if the team is inconsistant and not doing the basics right,then you swap and change them,you dont carry on regardless hoping that the next game they will listen.

Trouble is I think it avereages out 1 in 3 for the season!

1 in 4 on current form!

Surely it’s the manager’s job to make them listen? Stick the kids in if they don’t.

We are all aware of the financial restraints and difficulties that is involved in Dickov’s job, and he’s doing a good job under the circumstances. However, there are things that seem to be going wrong that are purely football reasons, rather than anything to do with money.

The contrast in performances between last Monday and Saturday were worlds apart. If we’d have approached Saturday’ match like we did against MK Dons, we would have beaten Tranmere because Tranmere are a poor side and have been poor every time we’ve played them with Dickov in charge. We know what to expect, because Tranmere are a one trick pony. They’re a big, physical and direct team and have been since the start of last season, so why did we play to their strengths by hoofing it on Saturday, instead of getting it on the deck and utilising the creativity of Morais and Taylor? Is it because the players arn’t listening? Or is it because they were only “up for it” in front of the Sky cameras? Or did Dickov get his tactics wrong? Whichever way, the blame surely has to lie with the manager.

It also frustrates me the way he uses Smith. I’ve lost count of the number of times we get a throw in in midfield, throw it on to Smith’s head for him to flick on down the line (which he does well) only for no Latics player to be anywhere nearby to receive the ball and possession is then easily surrendered. This is something that needs sorting, because it really is basic stuff.

I like Dickov and when things go well we look a good team, but when things are going badly, he shouldn’t be beyond question.

They are what they are ...hot and cold & inconsistent. Most players at this level are , not very much he can do.

He & his team of staff appear to keep drumming into them to forget a good win & make sure they do it again the next time .....but this weeks games are typical of the team.

If it is switching off, and PD and the fans that attend matches will know more than me, who is most guilty of it?

Is it collectively or are some worse than others?

On peper the defence is stronger with competition for places. Many are concerned with Diamond, yet without him we seem to concende soft goals. Mvoto has been awaeosme sometimes, yet been inconsistent.

Kuqi has been a reveleation, yet if he is marked out of the game is that game over?

The midfield without Furman has nothing to show, yet Taylor is influential, and Ademayi is not praised on here yet scores the winner v Franchise.

Weslowski has achived far more than eas expected.

It all seems so contradictory.

i agree,if your playing football for a living and proffessional at that then you have a certain responsibility to uphold..

if there not listening,then identitfy them,im sure he already knows,but he has to start doing something about it,if that is dropping them to the ressies then so be it...

whilst we dont have a really good strong in depth squad,we should still be able to swap players between 2 teams ie the ressies...

we had this with shez and we all know how that ended.

Most of our previous managers have said the same. If you listen to other L1 managers they also say the same in a roundabout way. This is why the players are in L1, the young players we have don't have the experience or the ability to concentrate for 95mins every week, unless they are determined enough, as they were against MK. It's something they either learn and move up to a better league (eg. Tierney) or they don't and either stay were they are or drop down the leagues.

Sums up the way things is.......................Perfectly!