My 25 years as Latics Fan Part II

So i'm recovered from Saturday, I was pissed off i'll admit but by yesterday it had gone into the ':censored: Happens' section and now i'm looking forward to the cup double header this week, but if you've an appetite for all things past, here's part two of my series and bringing my first Latics supporting decade to a close.

Part II

A rollercoaster of highs and lows, the dream dies and becomes a nightmare

1992-1996

Edited by oafcprozac

Another great memory-stirring read. :applause1:

IIRC in the 19991-92 season the prize money was £70,000 per place. Losing to Citeh on the last day of the season meant we finished 17th instead of 11th. 6 x £70,000 was a lot of money in those days and, with that to spend, who knows….

In the 1992-93 3-3 draw at Maine Road we experienced all four seasons’ weather during the first half and Milligan scored with that left foot flick behind his right foot. :aplayer1:

We took two Leeds fans with us to BP and they were convinced there was a curse on their club, for going through on the away goal in the Play-off. Cantona’s two goals seemed to have exorcised it, but then much-maligned Olney struck twice and, when they got back in the car, they were more convinced than ever about that curse. :surrender:

Jon Hallworth’s wrist injury was revealed by the rarely-wrong Chron to have been associated with his night out and early morning spent in A & E, just hours before playing at Old Trafford. :thumbsdown:

The 2-2 draw at Everton is my earliest recollection of the :OWTB1: chant, by a couple of lads at the front of the stand.

The 5-0 defeat at Spurs was the only time I had bet against Latics. I had said all week at work that Latics would lose by that score, and the 50/1 on offer by a bookmaker near where I parked the car was too good to miss. I was praying for Latics not to score when, near the end, they hit the bar. The winnings paid for the day out for three of us.

At the end of the 1994 Cup win at Bolton, Darren Beckford came to our end to greet his brother in the crowd, amidst Latics fans’ euphoria.

At Norwich at the end of the 1993-94 season, there was a very remote chance of Ipswich being relegated and the home fans were willing that to happen. The Canaries’ Chris Sutton did his bit by missing, I think deliberately, chance after chance, but nobody had told the substitute that he was supposed to do the same. Meanwhile at Goodison, Wimbledon’s Hans Segers was playing his part in Everton avoiding the drop. :thinking2:

Another great memory-stirring read. :applause1:

IIRC in the 19991-92 season the prize money was £70,000 per place. Losing to Citeh on the last day of the season meant we finished 17th instead of 11th. 6 x £70,000 was a lot of money in those days and, with that to spend, who knows….

Typical Latics luck, but we were well beaten that day, despite taking an ealy lead through Nick Henry

In the 1992-93 3-3 draw at Maine Road we experienced all four seasons’ weather during the first half and Milligan scored with that left foot flick behind his right foot. :aplayer1:

We had a goal disallowed too in that frenetic first-half, 3-3 after 37 minutes and that's how it stayed but Graeme Sharp missed with a header he really should have buried late on

We took two Leeds fans with us to BP and they were convinced there was a curse on their club, for going through on the away goal in the Play-off. Cantona’s two goals seemed to have exorcised it, but then much-maligned Olney struck twice and, when they got back in the car, they were more convinced than ever about that curse. :surrender:

Jon Hallworth’s wrist injury was revealed by the rarely-wrong Chron to have been associated with his night out and early morning spent in A & E, just hours before playing at Old Trafford. :thumbsdown:Yes, my recollections were vague but I do remember the Chron article now

The 2-2 draw at Everton is my earliest recollection of the :OWTB1: chant, by a couple of lads at the front of the stand.

The 5-0 defeat at Spurs was the only time I had bet against Latics. I had said all week at work that Latics would lose by that score, and the 50/1 on offer by a bookmaker near where I parked the car was too good to miss. I was praying for Latics not to score when, near the end, they hit the bar. The winnings paid for the day out for three of us.

At the end of the 1994 Cup win at Bolton, Darren Beckford came to our end to greet his brother in the crowd, amidst Latics fans’ euphoria. Yes, I remember the pictures of him running over to Jason in the crowd

At Norwich at the end of the 1993-94 season, there was a very remote chance of Ipswich being relegated and the home fans were willing that to happen. The Canaries’ Chris Sutton did his bit by missing, I think deliberately, chance after chance, but nobody had told the substitute that he was supposed to do the same. Meanwhile at Goodison, Wimbledon’s Hans Segers was playing his part in Everton avoiding the drop. :thinking2: One of my best days out supporting Latics, it was heartbreaking yet a fantastic day where we had the chance to celebrate our 5 years of success. Deep down we knew it was all over and I was so privileged to have seen that final fling in Norfolk, Joe never did come back out….at least we got the chance to say a proper thank you 15 years later

Edited by oafcprozac

thank you for taking the time to pen such a great piece. I too have been a fan for just over 25yrs. So i remember all you have written. I also now have written proof that Oldham did beat man utd. Something man u fans tend not too remember.

thank you for taking the time to pen such a great piece. I too have been a fan for just over 25yrs. So i remember all you have written. I also now have written proof that Oldham did beat man utd. Something man u fans tend not too remember.

Our win at Villa handed them the title on a plate too…ending their 26 year wait, they conveniently forget that too! The night we beat then I'll never forget the numpty that came on Piccadilly after the game. He enquired as to whether when we got to Wembley and won the second division we had open top bus rides and civic receptions, he wanted to know (Rather bitterly) if we were to have another Civic celebration to celebrate beating United (:censored:!)….

Edited by oafcprozac

Our win at Villa handed them the title on a plate too…ending their 26 year wait, they conveniently forget that too! The night we beat then I'll never forget the numpty that came on Piccadilly after the game. He enquired as to whether when we got to Wembley and won the second division we had open top bus rides and civic receptions, he wanted to know (Rather bitterly) if we were to have another Civic celebration to celebrate beating United (:censored:!)….

I mentioned this to a Villa fan recently, who rolled his eyes and said 'Oldham fans always bring this up' He then went on to say that their 0-3 thumping at Ewood the week before was when their title chase ended.

I prefer our version of events, but there you go.

I mentioned this to a Villa fan recently, who rolled his eyes and said 'Oldham fans always bring this up' He then went on to say that their 0-3 thumping at Ewood the week before was when their title chase ended.

I prefer our version of events, but there you go.

Mathematically it was far from over, if Villa had won United would have had to beat Blackburn the following night - I just remember getting out of the Holte End alive that day...

Mathematically it was far from over, if Villa had won United would have had to beat Blackburn the following night - I just remember getting out of the Holte End alive that day...

oafc_ok had to travel back to Salford, where he was a student and lived in Eddie Colman House. He could have had free drinks all night, but he describes it as the worst day of his life. :disappointed: :disappointed: The feeling after leaving Carrow Road on that last day of the season came a close second. :disappointed:

Great reading Paul as always. Just a slight correction/clarification.

Favourite Defeat: Manchester United (A) L0-3 21/11/92 With Old Trafford being redeveloped, tickets were at a premium for away fans (I think there weren’t any!)

Latics got about 800 tickets up in the gods. I remember not being able to get a ticket, so paid into the United end and a kindly steward let me in with the Latics fans. Horrible day, pissed it down and a right humping. Like you say, one of many that season.

Great description of Marshy's goal against Notts County.

It looked like we had thrown victory away until ......

I can't ever recollect a ball being hit so hard & travelling for it's entire journey at about 2 inches of the ground like a missile.

It got goal of the week on tv ...a staggering shot ...now where is that video.

Great description of Marshy's goal against Notts County.

It looked like we had thrown victory away until ......

I can't ever recollect a ball being hit so hard & travelling for it's entire journey at about 2 inches of the ground like a missile.

It got goal of the week on tv ...a staggering shot ...now where is that video.

Absolutely that was a rocket!

One thing I remember distinctly about the 96-97 relegation season was the ability to concede late goals we conceded so many of them that season. It was also definitely Urinal Rennie who was the referee where we had a perfectly legit goal ruled out at home to Stoke the writing really was on the wall after that game as despite Stoke playing about 2/3rd of the game wit a centre half in net we could only score 1 goal at home.

The article also highlights the piss poor decision making that we made during those post premier league years Poor choice of manager resulting in poor signings and next to no long term action to make any meaningful changes at boardroom level.

Absolutely that was a rocket!

One thing I remember distinctly about the 96-97 relegation season was the ability to concede late goals we conceded so many of them that season. It was also definitely Urinal Rennie who was the referee where we had a perfectly legit goal ruled out at home to Stoke the writing really was on the wall after that game as despite Stoke playing about 2/3rd of the game wit a centre half in net we could only score 1 goal at home

The article also highlights the piss poor decision making that we made during those post premier league years Poor choice of manager resulting in poor signings and next to no long term action to make any meaningful changes at boardroom level.

Bloody Hell - Wayne Russell! Forgot all about that! He was a midfielder wasn't he?

As for late goals,

Huddersfield two late goals meaning we lost

Late equalisers v WBA and Charlton

Remember the Charlton game being postponed on its original January date as we queued to get in the Lookers Paddock due to fog!

Port Vale away lost to a late winner

I'm sure there were others...

Great reading Paul as always. Just a slight correction/clarification.

Latics got about 800 tickets up in the gods. I remember not being able to get a ticket, so paid into the United end and a kindly steward let me in with the Latics fans. Horrible day, pissed it down and a right humping. Like you say, one of many that season.

Thanks for clarifying that Jamie, I had to make do with a soggy Chaddy End that afternoon, I couldn't remember whether they let away fans in that year.. I remember it being very quiet when Liverpool scored twice there the month before...

Edited by oafcprozac

The victory against Liverpool on the following Tuesday, thanks in part to 'Calamity' James letting one in direct from a corner, and Aldridge being sent off, was the first time Latics had beaten them in 71 years.

Aldridge was sent off for Tranmere four months earlier in the FA Cup for stamping on Craig Fleming - with Ian Liversidge running on in his Christmas hat pointing at and threatening Aldridge before treating Fleming. Aldridge in receiving his (deserved) red card pointed at the stricken Fleming and calling him an "effin so and so.."

I think it was Don Hutchison who got his marching orders the night we beat Liverpool 3-2, David James dropped two bollocks that night, he dropped one over the line and flapped badly at another one...

Edited by oafcprozac

Aldridge was sent off for Tranmere four months earlier in the FA Cup for stamping on Craig Fleming - with Ian Liversidge running on in his Christmas hat pointing at and threatening Aldridge before treating Fleming. Aldridge in receiving his (deserved) red card pointed at the stricken Fleming and calling him an "effin so and so.."

I think it was Don Hutchison who got his marching orders the night we beat Liverpool 3-2, David James dropped two bollocks that night, he dropped one over the line and flapped badly at another one...

It was Hutchison, just found this

Latics 3 Liverpool 2 FA Premier League 5/5/93

Liverpool Line-Up

Edited by oafcprozac

I remember the Liverpool and Manure games very well from 92/93 and also Marshys goal against Notts County from 91/92. I was sat in the chaddy and it seemed like if the net hadnt been there Marshys shot would have carried on for miles.

Marshy's goal probably the cleanest thump of a ball I have ever seen live.Some good memories there,especially the United home win.Speaking of Gerrard,when he got into the Latics side werent his knees knackered,remember him wearing these huge straps round them for ages.His kicking is better now than it was then!!

As a signed up member of the I don't want to sit at footy games , I was now stood in the shallow terracing on the Broadway side , level with Marshy as he fired off his Exocet ....never heard a net make such a noise ....well apart from Killer Kilcline's magnificent own goal at Elland Road . :grin:

that was my first ever game, I learnt a few new words that day. In fact IIRC in my first 6 games there was a sending off in every one, most notably being Ricky on Lee Dixon, the others being:

- Sept 1993 vs Villa

- Derby in the FA Cup

- Stoke in the FA Cup

- Barnsley in the FA Cup

that was my first ever game, I learnt a few new words that day. In fact IIRC in my first 6 games there was a sending off in every one, most notably being Ricky on Lee Dixon, the others being:

- Sept 1993 vs Villa

- Derby in the FA Cup

- Stoke in the FA Cup

- Barnsley in the FA Cup

Only game out of those four I remember red cards in was the Derby match, Darren Beckford and Craig Short going hell for leather and connecting. Worthy red cards!

Edited by oafcprozac

• 4 months later...