Matt Smith

Matt Smith - recently he has played a bit part role coming on from the bench with very little time to get into the flow of the game or make a real difference. Even in the short time he is on the field of play he seems to get a clear chance but invariably he fails to take the chance when it arrives.

So I hear you ask 'bigdog are you mad in wanting him to start on Tuesday'? maybe( :blink:) I reply, but I would love to see him get a full game or two when I believe he would be taking the chances that come his way.

Yesterday the change with Morais and Smith was designed to get crosses into the box and work the Wednesday centre backs - it almost paid off late on.

Let's go for it on Tuesday and get at Southend (who lost three nil yesterday):

4-4-1-1 with Smith as the furthest forward I say... :getmecoat:

I'd like to see him get a good run of games as he's looked good when we play to his strengths and he definitely has a talent that we should be looking to develop.

But I'd rather put him in against Charlton or in other league games this month than on Tuesday. The style that we play at the moment relies mainly on mobility and players who can do things with the ball at their feet. The times I've seen Smith play we've slipped into the habit of launching the ball long to him and doing that on Tuesday would have too much of a radical effect on the rest of the team in a game of such importance.

If Taylor is fit then I'd bring Scapuzzi inside to play Simpson's role, if not I'd keep Scapuzzi left and play Morais through the middle even though Smith's done better the Filipe so far this season.

I would love Taylor to be fit as although he has been way below his best we have missed his outlet. Like Luca a lot but he is extremely lightweight in challenges (more so than Tayls!) and would love to see him in the hole, as we have seen he loves to drift. Doubt Tayls is gona be fit so expect Adeyemi advanced in front of Furman and Wes and Scap & Parker a little more advanced supporting Shefki from the flanks.

I would love Taylor to be fit as although he has been way below his best we have missed his outlet. Like Luca a lot but he is extremely lightweight in challenges (more so than Tayls!) and would love to see him in the hole, as we have seen he loves to drift. Doubt Tayls is gona be fit so expect Adeyemi advanced in front of Furman and Wes and Scap & Parker a little more advanced supporting Shefki from the flanks.

That could work well.

4-4-1-1 as Smith furtherest forward? That could work, but that means dropping Kuqi. Don't think Kuqi can play in the hole, ball-retention etc is poor with him. If we carry on 4-4-1-1 then Scapuzzi or Morais in the hole. If we play Scapuzzi there, please can no one hit it in the air to him.

He was unlucky with his header as 2-0, if that had gone in they may have wobbled. He should have got it on target but with his lack of opportunities recently it is understandable how he missed.

Tuesday is probably too big a game to start with him but he should be given more "pitch time" even if I do hate that phrase over christmas, too many games for Kuqi to clock up 90 in all of them.

Edited by beag_teeets

For Tuesday I think we'll go 4-4-1-1 again and I don't think it will be Smith.

Cisak

Lee, Black, Clarke, Diamond

Morais, Wesolowski, Furman, Scappuzzi

Kuqi, Parker

(Personally I'd go with Scappuzzi in the hole, but I'm stating what I think Dickov will do).

As for Smith, I'd still have him on the bench, but think he needs more than the 10 or 15 minutes Dickov has been giving him from there. I think others are ahead of him in the pecking order and rightly so, but he is certainly a completely different tpye of threat, whereas Taylor, Scappuzzi, Parker, Morais et al.

Kuqi and Smith together? I suspect Kuqi would have more about him than the others for latching on to the flick ons.

Matt Smith - recently he has played a bit part role coming on from the bench with very little time to get into the flow of the game or make a real difference. Even in the short time he is on the field of play he seems to get a clear chance but invariably he fails to take the chance when it arrives.

So I hear you ask 'bigdog are you mad in wanting him to start on Tuesday'? maybe( :blink:) I reply, but I would love to see him get a full game or two when I believe he would be taking the chances that come his way.

Yesterday the change with Morais and Smith was designed to get crosses into the box and work the Wednesday centre backs - it almost paid off late on.

Let's go for it on Tuesday and get at Southend (who lost three nil yesterday):

4-4-1-1 with Smith as the furthest forward I say... :getmecoat:

Not for me. The replay on Tuesday is far too big a game to throw Smith back in. I imagine Morais will partner Kuqi or Scapuzzi will move up top with Fil out wide.

For Tuesday I think we'll go 4-4-1-1 again and I don't think it will be Smith.

Cisak

Lee, Black, Clarke, Diamond

Morais, Wesolowski, Furman, Scappuzzi

Kuqi, Parker

(Personally I'd go with Scappuzzi in the hole, but I'm stating what I think Dickov will do).

As for Smith, I'd still have him on the bench, but think he needs more than the 10 or 15 minutes Dickov has been giving him from there. I think others are ahead of him in the pecking order and rightly so, but he is certainly a completely different tpye of threat, whereas Taylor, Scappuzzi, Parker, Morais et al.

Kuqi and Smith together? I suspect Kuqi would have more about him than the others for latching on to the flick ons.

I'm more concerned by your plan to play Black as centre half and Diamond left back!

Cisak

Lee Diamond Clarke Black

Parker Furman Wes Scapuzzi

Morais

Kuqi

if Fil plays anywhere for us he is always best behind the striker, where he can run at dfenders and get a shot off which he is good at doing.

Wasted on the right wing as he does not track back/doesn't seem fit enough to defend and attack at high energy.

Edited by shefflatic

Cisak

Lee Diamond Clarke Black

Morais

Kuqi

if Fil plays anywhere for us he is always best behind the striker, where he can run at dfenders and get a shot off which he is good at doing.

Wasted on the right wing as he does not track back/doesn't seem fit enough to defend and attack at high energy.

If taylor isn't fit enough this is what i'd start with, we need to come out of the traps for this one and get in the ascendency as quickly as possible.

Cisak

Lee Diamond Clarke Black

Morais

Kuqi

I'd play this team but it's definitely a gamble playing Morais on current form. Still if there's a position to take a gamble it's in that attacking midfield position.