OOOhhhhhhhh Roger Palmer

Totally agree. Love this chant. If Ritchie gets his song sung, so should Palmer. A suggestion I heard that the song is sung to our black players and is therefore inappropriate totally baffled me. It's sung because the guy scored 141 league goals over 14 years of service to the club. Chant it. It's our song, he's our legend, it's who were are. Also it's without doubt one of our loudest when we sing it.

Ooooohhhh Roger Palmer.

Palmer was an idol of my youth and I was thrilled when, after years of unerring goalscoring in Div 2, he finally got to knock a couple in as part of the top flight. In the late 80/ 90s I loved the chant myselfIf we had a ground worthy of it, the bloke should be given a statue.

However, I worry that the chant only gets used in relation to an action by black players - it doesn't seem to be a celebration of his craft, more "There's a black player, doing a thing". Simillarly, I was concerned when it was rehashed for Oumare Tounkara - just felt uncomfortable with it.

I've always had the lovely notion that ohhh roger palmer came about as sticking up two fingers to fans who monkey chant to black players (oh oh oh) and this was our fans way of supporting him. Hence why it's still sung.

I suspect the irony of it all is missed by some though

I've always had the lovely notion that ohhh roger palmer came about as sticking up two fingers to fans who monkey chant to black players (oh oh oh) and this was our fans way of supporting him. Hence why it's still sung.

I suspect the irony of it all is missed by some though

Ed Zachary!

Black stewards in particular have had this sung to them over the years all with the exact intention that you so eloquently put Mr Oasis and long may it continue!

All part of the working class mans good natured ironic football banter.

Black stewards in particular have had this sung to them over the years all with the exact intention that you so eloquently put Mr Oasis and long may it continue!

I think, you'll have to explain how that works to me. So it's done whenever someone black arrives in a football ground?

I think, you'll have to explain how that works to me. So it's done whenever someone black arrives in a football ground?

I'm quite sure it doesn't need explaining and the 2nd sentence of your post demonstrates the angle with which you seem to want to take this and I am unwilling to join you on your journey with it.