Help needed..

I cant work out how to do a poll, but all this about being a Manc club annoys me.

So, I ask a question to my fellow OWTB members....

Do you see Oldham being a Lancashire club or a club in Greater Manchester.

The reason I ask is that Huddersfield Town are known as "The Yorkshire Club" and market themselves this way.

I would like to see if we can do this at Latics, to be known as "The Lancashire CLub".

I cant work out how to do a poll, but all this about being a Manc club annoys me.

So, I ask a question to my fellow OWTB members....

Do you see Oldham being a Lancashire club or a club in Greater Manchester.

The reason I ask is that Huddersfield Town are known as "The Yorkshire Club" and market themselves this way.

I would like to see if we can do this at Latics, to be known as "The Lancashire CLub".

In footballing terms I don't think we can't get away from the fact that people consider us to be a 'Greater Manchester' club.

'Lancashire' clubs to me are Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool etc.

Personally however I consider myself to be from Lancashire, certainly not Manchester.

In footballing terms I don't think we can't get away from the fact that people consider us to be a 'Greater Manchester' club.

'Lancashire' clubs to me are Preston, Blackburn, Burnley, Blackpool etc.

Personally however I consider myself to be from Lancashire, certainly not Manchester.

Stockport County would probably argue using similar reasoning that they are a Cheshire club.

I'm kind of on the fence, I consider it to be both. We're certainly not Mancunian in any way shape or form though. I also consider the city of Manchester to be both. To my mind Lancashire is our county and Greater Manchester is the conurbation Oldham finds itself in.

I think a lot of the younger generation feel less Lancastrian than us old goats. Whoever did the planning for the local govt reorg in 1974 must have been a Yorkshireman. They cut off Liverpool,Manchester, Oldham etc etc from Lancashire in many people's minds. They made sure they had West,South,North Yorkshire though - not Aireside or Greater Sheffield etc. They kind of cast Hull off - although I think they refer to East Yorkshire again - and got shot of Middlesbrough but that's nothing to the mutilation of the red rose county.

You even get fellow Lancastrians telling us that we're not from Lancashire - we're from Greater Manchester.They've divided us! If we did try to market ourselves as the 'Lancashire club' those same deluded fools from Blackpool, Burnley, Preston etc etc would deride us.

How many in our two largest cities now think of themselves as Lancastrians - hardly anyone under 30 I'd wager.It was all a filthy yorkist plot I tells yer.

Anyway that was a long and rambling way to say I vote for LANCASHIRE but I think we've lost the hearts and minds of too many

Stockport County would probably argue using similar reasoning that they are a Cheshire club.

I know a few of their fans and they certainly consider Stockport to be a 'Cheshire' club.

Might just be me but I consider, along with us, that Bury and Rochdale are 'Greater Manchester' clubs.

Bolton and Wigan I'm not as clear on?!

Edited by OAFCKeepTheFaith

When I was born Oldham was in Lancashire and thats what I still beleive it to be today!!

Oldham, Manchester just doesnt ring right to me! Nothing to do with rivalries its just doesnt sound right and anyway I say beefburger not beefburgoh!!

Janet

I know a few of their fans and they certainly consider Stockport to be a 'Cheshire' club.

Might just be me but I consider, along with us, that Bury and Rochdale are 'Greater Manchester' clubs.

Bolton and Wigan I'm not as clear on?!

I would definitely consider them a bit of both, if not more so Lancashire.

Yeah I was leaning more towards Lancashire.

With the leaning towards Lancashire, would it be an idea to suggest to the club that we should look at marketing Latics as "the Lancashire Club", just look at Huddersfield Towns branding..

both. never understood the problem. geography and demography as well as political/planning and history have pushed us together for 200 years. manchester city centre, which i love and always have, grew by servicing what became greater manchester. being part of greater manchester does not mean being a part of manchester but it is OUR conurbation. at the same time we remain historically a part of lancashire. both. not an issue or a problem. can you be a part of royton or shaw and oldham? always a strange debate. both. no problem.

both. never understood the problem. geography and demography as well as political/planning and history have pushed us together for 200 years. manchester city centre, which i love and always have, grew by servicing what became greater manchester. being part of greater manchester does not mean being a part of manchester but it is OUR conurbation. at the same time we remain historically a part of lancashire. both. not an issue or a problem. can you be a part of royton or shaw and oldham? always a strange debate. both. no problem.

Back to my question, would you want Latics to be marketed as " The Lancashire Club".

Can't it be both- we're Lancastrian on Saturday but Mancunian last night (if Manchester is in Lancashire so is Liverpool).

Incidentally when given the choice I introduce my self as being from Heywood, Greater Manchester; not Heywood, Lancashire; both can be deemed to be correct.