How crap is this league?

The league is crap, but then again we are a part of that and a mid-table part at that. Every year since 2002/03 I've thought that Dowie side would have easily got at least second (and only really the Norwich side were outstandingly better than it), this year is no exception.

For me, the Division 1 is no different from the two higher divisions in that there will always be the top section (varying in number from 3 to 6), the bottom section (similar numbers) and the middle bit who I would refer to as the perennial core.

So, to escape a division, a club must either aspire to be in the top 6 or be deserving of a place in the bottom 6.

Unfortunately, the top 6 is usually reserved for clubs with the bigger budgets/squads/attendances and usually (but not always) a recent dalliance with the higher division they are seeking to join (for premiership, read Champions league/Europa League).

A place in the bottom 6 is always a possibility for the remaining teams but the combination of a decent (for the division) squad, the right management and a fair slice of luck should see most teams avoiding that.

As for Oldham, we've had a brief flirtation with the top and bottom 6 at some point during recent seasons but eventually settled back to our rightful place - the perennial core.

Until such time as we meet the criteria for a higher division, this is where we will stay and I, for one, will continue to support the team in order to maintain the status quo because without that support, the bottom 6 will become the more realistic prospect for future seasons.

Look at the top 6.

None of those sides are anything special.

All to play for? Probably not. Despite our obvious frailties I can't see us going down either.

Our biggest weakness? Those who still live in and around Oldham but don't turn up on matchday.

I wouldn't say the top 3 are poor sides, unlike Southampton and Brighton last season it's more that they don't play attractive Football but they're sides who are good at winning the scrappy games. Charlton accused us of dirty tactics as did Hudds and Wednesday deployed dirty tactics on us, I think only Sheff Utd beat us convincingly but I felt we put out a very poor side that day.

Edited by Tommy_Fent