Nathan Clarke

Mvoto and Tarkowski.

Inexperienced but you have a decent footballer and an excellent tackler/ header of the ball in there. which is the perfect partnership.

I think these two can really work.

Tarkowski is very vocal too which is good. Even if it does mean he shouts at Kuqi without realising it.

Mvoto and Tarkowski.

Inexperienced but you have a decent footballer and an excellent tackler/ header of the ball in there. which is the perfect partnership.

I think these two can really work.

Tarkowski is very vocal too which is good. Even if it does mean he shouts at Kuqi without realising it.

I entirely agree but we need more than two centre-halfs and Clarke is definitely worth asking, if Diamond goes.

Would it be wrong to suggest that David Mellor might be worth playing at CB if we have games when we don't have anything to play for.

I entirely agree but we need more than two centre-halfs and Clarke is definitely worth asking, if Diamond goes.

Would it be wrong to suggest that David Mellor might be worth playing at CB if we have games when we don't have anything to play for.

Didn't see that coming.

I don't see a centre half in him.

What makes you suggest it?

Didn't see that coming.

I don't see a centre half in him.

What makes you suggest it?

He's big enough, able to defend, it would add another string to his bow and I can see him playing there in the future, as his footballing/passing ability will be an asset. It would also improve his ability to play LB; after all, Rio Ferdinand went to France 98 as a midfielder but he made a better defender in his later career, and lots of other good defenders started their career as a midfielder.

Plus, we've got bugger all money and having reserves that can play a few positions is a useful thing to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Fair play - the lad obviously just wants to play football - and even though there's been a change of management at 'massive' Huddersfield, he hasn't had a look in for a starting spot.

If Diamond doesn't re-sign a deal, I would be very interested in seeing if Nathan Clarke would sign for us. Free Transfer & no compensation. 300+ career games and a solid; if not spectacular, league 1 defender. We could do do a heck of lot worse than bringing him in, and I'd be happy if we did do.

Fair play - the lad obviously just wants to play football - and even though there's been a change of management at 'massive' Huddersfield, he hasn't had a look in for a starting spot.

If Diamond doesn't re-sign a deal, I would be very interested in seeing if Nathan Clarke would sign for us. Free Transfer & no compensation. 300+ career games and a solid; if not spectacular, league 1 defender. We could do do a heck of lot worse than bringing him in, and I'd be happy if we did do.

If we are ever going to get out of this league then 'solid if not spectacular' is not what we need - we should be looking for more mobile, strong and determined players for the back - Clarke was as you describe and I am convinced we could find better in the lower leagues.

If we are ever going to get out of this league then 'solid if not spectacular' is not what we need - we should be looking for more mobile, strong and determined players for the back - Clarke was as you describe and I am convinced we could find better in the lower leagues.

Good look in search of the lower leagues.

When it comes to centre halves, I'd say "solid if not spectacular" is exactly what you want at this level.

and therein lies the problem imho - we have to aim for better - Clarke was okay but not what we should be settling for - otherwise we will continue to remain at this level. :huh:

Andy linighan was a great centre half, but boy did he make mistakes.

But yes, centre halves should be consistently unspectacular and solid.

Wow,wow,wooow.....

What mistakes are these, you are as old as me and i remember him being a man mountain.