Scott Parker Inglund Captain

Not that I really give a monkey's toss over our over-rated joke of a national team, but surely Gerrard should have got the job? Now that Fat Frank's days are numbered maybe Gerrard can finally be given a licence to roam at International level. Don't get the fuss over Parker, at Charlton he was exceptional he's been pretty average everywhere else and a young Arsenal team made a right mug of him on Sunday. Oh and West Ham accused him of effectively throwing the towel in last season, and he couldn't catch at Chelsea, but he's good enough to Captain England?

...and football writers player of the year for 2010/11, when he was accused "of effectively throwing the towel in".

I think the difference between him and Gerrard is that if you type their names and 'rumours' into google, Scott Parker's brings up potential moves. Gerrard's brings up 16 year old girls. Last thing we want is another liability in the news department.

Not that I really give a monkey's toss over our over-rated joke of a national team, but surely Gerrard should have got the job? Now that Fat Frank's days are numbered maybe Gerrard can finally be given a licence to roam at International level. Don't get the fuss over Parker, at Charlton he was exceptional he's been pretty average everywhere else and a young Arsenal team made a right mug of him on Sunday. Oh and West Ham accused him of effectively throwing the towel in last season, and he couldn't catch at Chelsea, but he's good enough to Captain England?

are you kidding me ? He's been arguably the best player in a top 4 team this season. Whats Gerrard done ? Nothing apart from being crocked

1.) He wasn't good enough to get in the Chelsea team a few years ago (when he was 23- 24) but a lot of players wouldn't have got in that Chelsea team- there is a reason why the holding midfielder is sometimes called the Makelele role; incidentally he won the PFA Young player of the year, after signing for Chelsea half way through. I'd fancy his chances in getting in the Chelsea team now though.

2.) As OS has said Gerrard has got some previous for bad behaviour- if it wasn't for the jury being scouse he'd have gotten bird for assault, not to mention some of the other rumours about him. Scott parker has nowt like that, if you are going to fire your captain for bad behaviour appointing someone without a squeaky clean record is asking for trouble.

3.) So Stuart Pearce has made Parker captain for one game, so what, its blatantly obvious that Psycho is not going to get the job on a permanent basis. Its who the next manager thinks should lead the team that is important- if the new manager is Harry the odds are pretty good that he will keep Parker as captain.

4.) Most importantly he is a player that gets in the England team on merit- I'd still pick Gerrard but his form is not what it was. Parker is our best 'defensive midfielder' by a decent margin, similar couldn't be said about Gerrard.

Pretty average? Where have you been for the last couple of years?!

Just pulled my head out of my hands

Parker is head and shoulders above our other midfielders this season

Put it this way Schweinsteiger wouldnt have been half as effective against us in the World Cup had Parker been playing

Edited by razza699

Just pulled my head out of my hands

Parker is head and shoulders above our other midfielders this season

Put it this way Schweinsteiger wouldnt have been half as effective against us in the World Cup had Parker been playing

Sorry not having it, he's started SIX games out of ten caps, and never played in a major tournament. I hope he proves me wrong, but it stinks of appointing a 'steady Eddie' that willnot rock the boat. Whilst Terry is a complete tool, at least he tried to stand up against Capello's crap tactics in SA. If it's just for tonight, then fair enough but he's no Butcher, Moore, Adams, Shilton, Lineker or Beckham. Yes he may grow into the role, personally if not Gerrard, I would have given it to the Granny Shagger, like Beckham it could have been the making of him.

are you kidding me ? He's been arguably the best player in a top 4 team this season. Whats Gerrard done ? Nothing apart from being crocked

I'll take your Super Scotty Parker and raise you Yaya Toure, Gareth Barry oh and erm Scholes looks like he's never been away either…Nothing against Parker, it's the fact his caps are so far apart that grates and that he has so little International Experience….sooner or later Ferdinand, Rooney, etc..will be back in the fold - are they gonna take orders on the field from an international novice? Ok, we could just bin the old guard, Lampard, Ferdinand, Terry, Cole etc… but then we really would be a team of kids….

Tonight's Team Just In

Hart

Richards

Cahill

Smalling

Baines

Gerrard

Parker (Capt)

Barry

Johnson

Welbeck

Young

If that's the route we're going down, Rooney's addition apart it may just rekindle my interest, i'm excited about Welbeck - pace and power we've lacked since Heskey's purple patch early last decade

Edited by oafcprozac

1.) He wasn't good enough to get in the Chelsea team a few years ago (when he was 23- 24) but a lot of players wouldn't have got in that Chelsea team- there is a reason why the holding midfielder is sometimes called the Makelele role; incidentally he won the PFA Young player of the year, after signing for Chelsea half way through. I'd fancy his chances in getting in the Chelsea team now though.

2.) As OS has said Gerrard has got some previous for bad behaviour- if it wasn't for the jury being scouse he'd have gotten bird for assault, not to mention some of the other rumours about him. Scott parker has nowt like that, if you are going to fire your captain for bad behaviour appointing someone without a squeaky clean record is asking for trouble.

3.) So Stuart Pearce has made Parker captain for one game, so what, its blatantly obvious that Psycho is not going to get the job on a permanent basis. Its who the next manager thinks should lead the team that is important- if the new manager is Harry the odds are pretty good that he will keep Parker as captain.

4.) Most importantly he is a player that gets in the England team on merit- I'd still pick Gerrard but his form is not what it was. Parker is our best 'defensive midfielder' by a decent margin, similar couldn't be said about Gerrard.

In order to accomodate 'Fat Frank' Gerrard's threat going forward was consistently strangled by having to play deeper as Lampard is so :censored: defensively and indisciplined in being caught out of position. Increasingly he plays a deeper role at Liverpool these days too. Barry's a better DM than both of them imo, and Gerrard whilst very solid there should be allowed to roam and use his eye for goal.

...and football writers player of the year for 2010/11, when he was accused "of effectively throwing the towel in".

I think the difference between him and Gerrard is that if you type their names and 'rumours' into google, Scott Parker's brings up potential moves. Gerrard's brings up 16 year old girls. Last thing we want is another liability in the news department.

Yeah but the Football Writers vote by March, the dummy only came out after he was denied a transfer last January….