Budget

jsslatic

You are fooling yourself if you think that...

Also who you know and how much someone wants to brown nose matter intensely in all walks of life... More so the further you climb... There is a reason why the top jobs are held almost exclusively by people who went to certain places of Education, in certain groups within that education and so on...

The NHS is no more segregated from that attitude than most business and other public positions... Its scam and we aren't invited... Largely anyway

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honest question though oafc0000, opinion aside regarding the 50p tax rate, as a labour voter yourself do you see them as electable, and do you think that they have a chance of returning to power with Ed Miliband as leader and Ed Balls as Shadow Chancellor?

As much as people tend to not like Blair, I think Labour cannot rule as a left wing party, the centre is where you rule from. David Milliband would have been a good choice.

As much as people tend to not like Blair, I think Labour cannot rule as a left wing party, the centre is where you rule from. David Milliband would have been a good choice.

Agree about David Milliband but this idea people didn't like Blair is weak... I think he would of seen Labour home if we was at the last election... Blair appealed to so many people.

Cameron is just trying to be Blair but getting it all wrong...

Edited by oafc0000

Agree about David Milliband but this idea people didn't like Blair is weak... I think he would of seen Labour home if we was at the last election... Blair appealed to so many people.

In the end people didn't like him, BUT he did occupy the middle ground and yes, I think you are correct to say that when it comes to the crunch, many would have voted for him rather than the Tories. Would he have won with all the financial problems, i'm not sure actually. I think he would have done a better job than Brown.

I think Cameron is trying to be Blair but is approaching it from the Tory side of the fence. He has grown on me though and I prefer him to be PM than any other tory.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

i have an idea to deal with the iniquities of the tax system in this country

tax is sat at 25% (just for this example) for EVERYBODY no matter how much you earn

no tax exemptions in any way shape or form for ANYBODY what so ever no special breaks for special interests no right offs against this or that everything earned is taxed at 25%

therefore earn £100 a week £25 quid goes to the tax man, earn £1000 a week £250 goes to the tax man , earn £100.000 a week then £25.000 goes to the taxman fair and simple to administer no army of tax lawyers or special acountants to administer

i have an idea to deal with the iniquities of the tax system in this country

tax is sat at 25% (just for this example) for EVERYBODY no matter how much you earn

no tax exemptions in any way shape or form for ANYBODY what so ever no special breaks for special interests no right offs against this or that everything earned is taxed at 25%

therefore earn £100 a week £25 quid goes to the tax man, earn £1000 a week £250 goes to the tax man , earn £100.000 a week then £25.000 goes to the taxman fair and simple to administer no army of tax lawyers or special acountants to administer

There was some thought that Osbourne might have gone with this (flat tax) in his first budget - in fact he might have done if they hadn't been coalition. It would still be done with a tax free allowance, the challenge is to set the starting point so that it isn't a disincentive to people trying to get into work at the lower end of the pay scale

In a dramatic change to your usual debating tactics, you are building up a straw man. Instead of fuming against your imaginary opponent who is thinking of moving to another country, think of a high value business employing very highly paid people. If you can offer them the same take home pay at 20% less cost to your business by setting it up or moving it to Frankfurt, Paris or Shanghai then you may very well do it. Then Germany, France or China gets a lot more tax revenue and a group of people spending a lot of money in their economies, and we don't.

Evidence? (Don't bother looking, because you won't find any.)

There was some thought that Osbourne might have gone with this (flat tax) in his first budget - in fact he might have done if they hadn't been coalition. It would still be done with a tax free allowance, the challenge is to set the starting point so that it isn't a disincentive to people trying to get into work at the lower end of the pay scale

It is very much on the current governments radar to harmonise Income Tax and National Insurance in the future. Its actually a very good idea...

Evidence? (Don't bother looking, because you won't find any.)

That’s embarrassingly weak. It was meant to raise £7.5 billion on the basis that behaviour didn’t change. Well, it did. Surely this means that in one way or another economic activity has left the UK? Or maybe you can explain otherwise

Here's another curious fact about the UK economy. Listed companies are sitting on absolutely stacks of cash and paying large shareholder dividends. Why don't they invest it?

Now here is where we get to the heart of why you. Along with Mr Balls, Mr Cable and many others who love to place the whole world’s woes at the feet of THE BANKERS show yourselves up for mugs. How did the banking crisis (which we must distinguish from the Government overspending crisis) happen? Lending money which wasn’t secure – ie toxic mortgages, loans against property value gains, risky business investments. And what are you demanding now? The banks are being cautious, they are looking for a degree of security in their loans rather than lending to all and sundry, and they are the criminals. Idiocy.

As an example when my dad’s business went pop a decade ago, they got a smaller version going again. In version 2 they always kept enough cash in bank to ensure that they could pay two years salaries for all the employees. This is the sort of cash that businesses are keeping hold of in difficult times, and fools who know nothing want them to go and gamble it on an uncertain future.

I think the fact that Blair won two elections by a complete landslide, and the one after the Iraq war with a very comfortable majority, speaks volumes. A Labour Party being led by David Miliband would be in a much stronger position at the moment than a Labour Party being led by the union's puppet that is Ed Miliband.

That’s embarrassingly weak. It was meant to raise £7.5 billion on the basis that behaviour didn’t change. Well, it did. Surely this means that in one way or another economic activity has left the UK? Or maybe you can explain otherwise

Now here is where we get to the heart of why you. Along with Mr Balls, Mr Cable and many others who love to place the whole world’s woes at the feet of THE BANKERS show yourselves up for mugs. How did the banking crisis (which we must distinguish from the Government overspending crisis) happen? Lending money which wasn’t secure – ie toxic mortgages, loans against property value gains, risky business investments. And what are you demanding now? The banks are being cautious, they are looking for a degree of security in their loans rather than lending to all and sundry, and they are the criminals. Idiocy.

As an example when my dad’s business went pop a decade ago, they got a smaller version going again. In version 2 they always kept enough cash in bank to ensure that they could pay two years salaries for all the employees. This is the sort of cash that businesses are keeping hold of in difficult times, and fools who know nothing want them to go and gamble it on an uncertain future.

I'm not talking about banks. I'm talking about other businesses. If you just stopped yourself screaming for a second you might learn something.

I think the fact that Blair won two elections by a complete landslide, and the one after the Iraq war with a very comfortable majority, speaks volumes. A Labour Party being led by David Miliband would be in a much stronger position at the moment than a Labour Party being led by the union's puppet that is Ed Miliband.

I'm not being funny but no one in the Labour party thinks Ed Miliband is the union's muppet. If only he was!

And what's wrong with the unions anyway? Surely you're not suggesting that the more virtuous funders of political parties are the guys and gals from the City of London?

Everything. Every. Thing.

Not everything. Some prat leaders but the concept of working people uniting to bargain together or fight for better working conditions is admirable. Most of the better things at work that we benefit from today have been hard fought for by unions.

Anyway, good to see Gideon's policies are working:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17533800

Economy contracts, good job we have his 0.8% growth to look forward to soon!

I'm not talking about banks. I'm talking about other businesses. If you just stopped yourself screaming for a second you might learn something.

Lets have this one calmly, and in detail then. You are complaining about businesses holding cash. You may or may not have heard (or care, given that you think you should be entitled to the same terms and conditions you fluked from now until the end of time) but times are hard. Now, if a business is finding it hard to break even, or is even making a loss doing the core things that they do, and is hoping for things to pick up, would you suggest that they

a) Keep a few quid spare so that they can keep the business going, or;

B) Splash their liquid cash on some random venture

You disregarded the example I gave of my dad's firm - the people who have worked for firms who's obligations outway their assets include your mother. I just think you have decided that it's dirty to make a living by doing business.