Away Highlights / Lowlights

Done the fewest away games for a long time this year, 10 - and I'm unable to do Bury due to work.

(My ten: Yeovil, Anfield, Dale, Huddersfield, Tranmere, Sheff U, Notts County, Charlton, Preston and Carlisle)

Here is a personal review of the away games.

Best game - Sheff United. In the 23 years I've had as a Latics fan I'd say it's in my top 10 games. So surprising - especially after the first half. I was buzzing for a good few days after it. Makes you realise why you do it. Losing to Scunny a couple of days later didn't even bother me. It kind of reaffirmed my faith as a latics fan, no matter how good it gets a disapointment is just around the corner.

Best Away day out - Charlton. As a full day it was brilliant. Ok Sheff United eclipses it result wise, but Charlton this year will go down as a great away day. Mainly cos of how bladdered we got. Falling down escalators, taxi from euston to the valley when my mate had a tube ticket, trying to get a random geordie nurse to come to the game with us. It had it all.

Worst performance - Yeovil. I haven't come out of a game as depressed as that for a long time. Absolutely sure it was going to be the worst season known to man. Still the biggest shambles of a performance I have seen all season, appalling.

Dullest game - Notts County. My god I was bored. That bored I didn't really care when they scored. All life had been sucked out of me.

Goal - Kuqi vs Dale /Simpson vs Liverpool joint award. Honestly can't split them. The goal from kuqi was discribed as a swing of the boot. Check it out properly, he picks him off his line. Simspon's was a great goal. i was right behind it, knew it was in as soon as he hit it.

Biggest disappointment - Carlisle away. We wern't playing that well at 3-0 to be honest. The way we folded was a joke. The weekend in Carlisle was ruined by that to be honest.

Best atmosphere - Preston. 90 mins of a good atmosphere. Obviosly the end at sheff united was special, but as a 90's mins Preston was easily the best.

Best ground - Anfield

Worst ground - Honestly thought they were all decent this year, Yeovil probably - but it is a nice tidy ground and not worthy of a "worst ground" title.

Edited by pukka

From my five (Preston, Carlisle, Charlton, Liverpool and Chesterfield JPT):

Best game - Preston

Best away day out - Charlton

Worst performance - I thought we played well in them all, though I'll go for Carlisle for the implosion

Dullest game - Charlton, the worst of a good bunch!

Goal - Simpson at Anfield

Biggest disappointment - Losing at Chesterfield, we should have hammered them. The Chef's penalty miss really was a kicker.

Best ground - Anfield for the stadium, but it was my first trip to Carlisle and I liked Brunton Park

Worst ground - Chesterfield

Best atmosphere - Preston, hands down

Agree with the Preston comments. Cracking backing to the lads and a great atmosphere that night - and the game was really entertaining too; when Wes bagged his second; I thought it was going to be hands down the moment of the season.....

Until Robbie fired in that screamer at Anfield. For those 60 seconds until Bellamy punched it in, it was sheer joy. An awesome moment that will live long.

I also echo the feelings of leaving Huish Park after the truly shocking performance at Yeovil. I was as low as I've ever been leaving a ground and felt sure we'd be bottom all season on that showing. The weeking we had down there on the piss big-time makes up for it somewhat, had a cracking weekend and will be tempted to do it again next year if the fixtures are kind.

Orient was a good day out, as per. Even though we DEFINITELY only won 2-1.

Charlton was a ridiculously booze-fuelled day. So much so, I had a power nap during the curry at London Bridge afterwards. Belter.

Unfortunately, I went to the horrow show at MK Dons. Grey, wet, cold, :censored: performance, spent most of the second half at the bar arguing with someone. :censored:.

I have been to MK twice and seen us concede 11 goals. Walking out of the ground and bumping into people right outside who are passing on their way home from Asda, weird.

Enjoyed the Simpson goals at Liverpool and Chesterfield. Milton Keynes was a disaster. Huddersfield and Tranmere weren't the best. We shouldn't have lost to Rochdale, nor Chesterfield in the JPT. I was delighted to claim my own first personal away point of the season at Wycombe on Saturday.

I've also not made as many away trips this season as usual but I'd echo the comments re Sheff U and Preston.

Games like that are why we do it.

As much stick as Kuqi's come in for recently (some of it quite deserved) I can't fail but love him for scoring the winner at Bramall Lane. Think it was the first time I've seen him smile! I'd put Sheff U up there with Everton and Leeds in terms of best away game I've seen.

Missed Anfield due to being New Zealand but remember going nuts when Simmo scored. I was in a McDonalds (only place I could get wifi) on Saturday morning ('cause of the time difference). I got some very funny looks off the locals. By the time I'd text my folks at the game, Liverpool had bloody gone 2-1 up!

Edited by bossrocks

Having been to 23 away games, missing Orient, Hartlepool, Southend and Scunny JPT. Sheff United was the best, Colchester and maybe Yeovil the worst. Best goal is hard, Simmo or Kuqi! Best atmosphere was Preston. Best 2nd half collapse is easily Carlisle.

Special mention to Scunny away in league which was quality.

Edit: Chesterfield in JPT is the lowest i have felt after a game.

Edited by oldhamoafc

I've been to 18 games this year (5 wins, 6 draws & 7 defeats)

Wins: Scunny away both games & Walsall away were what Latics should be at the end of the season - showing fight and grinding out crucial wins. Orient was a fantastic away day as per and we all hope they stay up! Sheff United was rubbish we should have won 4-2 :grin:

Draws: The atmosphere at Preston was fantastic along with a great game. Carlisle was one of the worst leads blown but still a great match to watch. Southend away was good, did the business and Wesolowski's goal was superb. Charlton was similar to Orient, another top away day on the booze and Morais goal was quality. Chesterfield draw in the league was always going to be in the shadow of the 2 cup runs and I hardly remember it. Lastly the draw at Wycombe was as good as a win, some of the fans let our side down but at least we're passionate about our club still.

Defeats: Tranmere seemed to be a blip in the early good away form. Liverpool and Robbie Simpsons goal will be up there with the best bounce's i've done with Latics. Huddersfield got lucky with their win as did Chesterfield in the JPT first leg. Stevenage was a fairly decent away trip but our season was over by then, didn't care for their fans either! Dale was disapointing but we were down to our bare bones - Kuqi's goal has to be one of the best i've seen though. Wednesday last Monday was a good fight but how can we compete against teams with all that money?

All in all a good season away wise for me. I don't expect to win (or draw most times!) but what we as Latics fans are good at is showing up in numbers and making a day of it. Numerous times i've come out of the ground and the home fans congratulate the OAFC support. Wycombe was the only embarressing moment as a fan this year but I really think that we have to believe in Dickov if we want to build on something as a club.

Hopefully the best away game this season will be Bury next week - a good stuffing of our neighbours whilst we're all in fancy dress will do nicely please :chubb:

Highlight : Finally seeing us pick up a point at Wycombe after seeing 10 previous away defeats. And the unbelievable feeling when Simpson bagged at Anfield. The days out at Nottingham, Liverpool and Wycombe were amongst the best days of my life.

Lowlights : Being on the way to Tranmere and hearing Betty from Corrie had died, seeing 10 defeats in a row before Wycombe and stupidly getting caught up in an arguement with Dickov at Brentford.

Highlight : Finally seeing us pick up a point at Wycombe after seeing 10 previous away defeats. And the unbelievable feeling when Simpson bagged at Anfield. The days out at Nottingham, Liverpool and Wycombe were amongst the best days of my life.

Lowlights : Being on the way to Tranmere and hearing Betty from Corrie had died, seeing 10 defeats in a row before Wycombe and stupidly getting caught up in an arguement with Dickov at Brentford.

Only done Scunny, Chesterfield Twice, Liverpool and Huddersfield this year.

Highlights: Mellor's goal, singing for 90 minutes at Scunny, capped off by Smith's late winner. The Season was up and running. The enjoyment in my kids faces all night at Anfield. The performance we put in for an hour. Simmo's goaal at Chesterfield and Anfield.

Lowlights: The flattering scoreline at Anfield, our cock of a coach driver en route back from Anfield. Lee's undeserved winner at Hudds and our :censored:e defending at Chesterfield losing us the tie, along with a woeful penalty.

From my nine (Walsall, Carlisle, Chesterfield, Liverpool, Chesterfield JPT, Huddersfield, Blades, Notts County, Wednesday)

Best game - Sheff Utd away, the only other one which came close was Carlisle but it was just such a horrible feeling walking away from that one.

Best away day out - Has to be Anfield, despite having the worst seats known to man trying to watch a match through a letter box, Simpsons goal and the feeling of being amongst the big boys will live with us for a while

Worst performance - I thought we played well in them all, though I'll go for Carlisle for the implosion

Dullest game - Huddersfield, very scrappy game but unlike in previous seasons the atmosphere was very flat and I don't think we even mustered a shot on target.

Goal - Simpson at Anfield

Biggest disappointment - When Kuqi missed the penalty in the JPT, I had a feeling it would come back to haunt us

Best ground - Sheff Utd, purely because I only had to walk 2 minutes from my house to get there (although the Stewards wouldn't let me go home after the final whistle)

Worst ground - Carlisle purely by that stand on the side that is miles away from the pitch, I find it annoying

Best atmosphere - As much as it pains me to say, it's not been as good as it used to be but unfortunatly many factors have affected this notably the fact that when a big crowd come to watch us play we never perform. I have faith that it will one day get better but I felt that if 2,000 people had gone to Sheff Utd then we would of got mullered, but those who went made the effort and the following vid will live in the memory. I do feature somewhere on it too

Edited by Tommy_Fent

Preston, Liverpool, Hudds, Dale and Notts

Best game was at Deepdale, 2-0 down, 2-2, and then wes getting his second late on. Couldn't stop singing 'Wesolowski' to Depeche Mode on the motorway back. As a game, Dale was a good one, we lost but it was a great derby and kuqi got an absolute cracker

Best goal though goes to Simpson at Anfield, it came out of nowhere and I'll never forget being low down near the goal watching reina dive and miss, and then not knowing what to do apart from go mental

Notts and Hudds were bad, been to those grounds a few times but two late goals from two average performances was annoying

Only done Scunny, Chesterfield Twice, Liverpool and Huddersfield this year.

Highlights: Mellor's goal, singing for 90 minutes at Scunny, capped off by Smith's late winner. The Season was up and running. The enjoyment in my kids faces all night at Anfield. The performance we put in for an hour. Simmo's goaal at Chesterfield and Anfield.

Lowlights: The flattering scoreline at Anfield, our cock of a coach driver en route back from Anfield. Lee's undeserved winner at Hudds and our :censored:e defending at Chesterfield losing us the tie, along with a woeful penalty.

Oh and I went to Dale, obviously Kuqi's goal was a highlight, our :censored: defending wasn't!

Im also on that video of Bramhall lane.

On my phone calling my dad

Me: "We have a penalty"

Dad:"Oh, bloody hell, can you believe we have thrown it away?"

Me: "No WE have a penalty!!!"

Dad: "Bloody hell fire!! I dont believe you"

Me: "Its true. Kuqi's on it....

YEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"