Barry Owen Interview Summary

Firstly the interview should have been free to air, given the target audience.

Summary of Barry Owen's interview on LP:

The under 16 initiative has been introduced to encourage the young people of the town to come to BP. It's an attempt to try and reinvigorate the club's following. However, despite a tremendous response it has not been without problems. To date there's been around 24 applications from fans over the age of 16 (new applications). The club wish to make it perfectly clear that any person applying must bring ORIGINAL photo ID and this same Photo ID is required in collecting the ticket. The same Photo ID can be requested at any time on match-days by gatemen or stewards. There has been a tremendous response so far and the initiative will be successful. The club is asking fans to play the game, and is highlighting that intermediate fans (16+) do not try and beat the system by applying for Junior Season Tickets. The message is simple, if you are Under 16 on 31st December 2012, then you qualify, if not you don't.

The club insists it is not being heavy handed, but has to protect its interests. Particularly as the club is currently carrying out a financial review. Season Tickets are important and the club really do need people to stick by it. The club acknowledges whilst there may be disappointment over Season Ticket prices, the club could have put them up and probably should have done. Season Ticket money is crucial to the club for meeting running costs over the summer.

Whilst the club acknowledges it is a difficult financial environment for fans at the moment, they are asking fans please do your best to renew your season ticket if you can.

How many times do they have to be told this? Simpletons comes to mind :petesake:

They probably don't have the necessary IT infrastructure to host and stream video outside of Latics Player which will be provided by a third party who may also not allow content to be shared to services such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

I agree with the overall point though. If you're communicating with fans rather than showing match highlights, don't do it from behind a pay wall.

They probably don't have the necessary IT infrastructure to host and stream video outside of Latics Player which will be provided by a third party who may also not allow content to be shared to services such as YouTube, Vimeo, etc.

I agree with the overall point though. If you're communicating with fans rather than showing match highlights, don't do it from behind a pay wall.

They have freeview on LP, They have put video's on freeview before. After being told it should be that is they couldn't think of it themselves. They should really have a youtube account for vids like this.

I dont know how many times I have mentioned this both on here and in e mail to the powers that be, but after the age of 16 we lose so many fans. They don't win the lottery when they are 16 and most stay in education. Part-time jobs are harder to get now and they simply can't afford it. Even with the appallingly advertised intermediate ticket which I am sure has restrictions as to where in the ground they can sit, the price is too high. We simply lose them, a price for those in full time education and or up to 18 of £100 or less would mean that we keep more fans. Compare this to the cost of the lost generation say 100 per season *20 seasons of ongoing support £300 per ticket = £30000p.a. lost revenue,£600000 in lifetime revenue, no wonder we are in the state we are.

As any good business knows it is easier and more profitable to keep existing customers than get new customers.

As any good business knows it is easier and more profitable to keep existing customers than get new customers.

But it's not profitable keeping them at £50, £10 or whatever. If £328 is the going rate, and there's an intermediate option to get to that (£183) then this seems fair.

I accept that it's a big step from £50 (last season) to £183. But do remember that the average price on the turnstile for 23 games last season was over £200 for a 15 year old.

My daughter has a passport but my 9 yr old nephew doesn't have any photo ID i'm aware of.

and she was about 4 weeks old when the picture was taken.

do I want the hassle of carrying round a 3 yr olds passport and then some brain dead steward saying the picture isn't her?

then I can't go in...............

thanks Simon but, no thanks.

Check with the club Harry, I'm sure Barry said photo ID I may be mistaken, but for the sake of a 9 year old, surely a birth certificate would suffice?

"The club wish to make it perfectly clear that any person applying must bring ORIGINAL photo ID and this same Photo ID is required in collecting the ticket. The same Photo ID can be requested at any time on match-days by gatemen or stewards."

I think to be fair, it will be teenagers around the threshold/those that look older that will be targeted. but we know that like anything the club do, it'll be done half-arsed. Namely for a couple of games until the stewards can't be arsed anymore…..

TBH once the person is in the ground, as long as they behave themselves what can a steward actually do, without being accused of singling people out? And i've always wondered if our stewards are CRB cleared?

"The club wish to make it perfectly clear that any person applying must bring ORIGINAL photo ID and this same Photo ID is required in collecting the ticket. The same Photo ID can be requested at any time on match-days by gatemen or stewards."

Yes, but Barry's words summarised by me, not word for word what he said…..check with the club or log into LP….

we've never needed photo's/photo ID for adult season tickets where the club could be done out of £23 but we need them for kids who would only have paid £3 anyway?

yet, yet, yet again - you couldn't make it up.

Eh? What's upset you? They're talking about 17 18 19 year olds trying to get in for 40p a game (or what every it works out as) and I don't blame them. I'm sure you'll be fine getting one for a nine year old,

I wouldn't be shocked if some older ones try it on 30 plus! There are some idiots about.

I think the U16's £50 season ticket is a great idea. People go on about getting young fans before they go off to city or Utd so this for me is the perfect opportunity.

I do feel that the price of £180 for a season ticket for intermidiate is a little high but if that is the going rate of other local clubs then that's what we should charge. It's fair business not to undercut local teams so much that there kids decide to come to us. I wouldn't like it if Rochdale introduced something like £80 for intermediate and half of our fans went there.

I'm not sure of the going rate at other local clubs before anyone jumps on me and if Oldham are wrong then I agree they should change to become inline with other clubs prices.

Eh? What's upset you? They're talking about 17 18 19 year olds trying to get in for 40p a game (or what every it works out as) and I don't blame them. I'm sure you'll be fine getting one for a nine year old,

I wouldn't be shocked if some older ones try it on 30 plus! There are some idiots about.

Spot on - moan for moaning sake springs to mind!

It's one of those things and goes back donkeys years, 17 years olds want to be under 16 to gain cheaper entry to a football match and other events, but 18 when wanting to buy a pint in a pub or see an X film, it's an awkward age.

£10 is a good idea. But for saying just u-16 is a bit silly, what about those who are 16 after 31st Dec? Why should someone born on 1st January have to pay over a £100 more than someone born on 31st December? What about 16 17 18 year olds who are still in full-time education at college?

I'm 17, and had a £50 season ticket this year, I was considering getting a £10 season ticket in a relatives name but might not now. I'm annoyed that I'll have to pay either a rise to £183 or a tenner a match, especially seeing as I've got no part time job an I'm at college full time so I might pick and choose matches. I'll still go and the club won't have lost a fan, bu I think they need to think of a better transition for the new fans they've got from the offer this year. Something like a discount if you're renewing, or money off a shirt?