Science, bitches!

Ackey

Dawkins tends to try to prove the unproveable - that there is no God. Eagleton takes the unimpeachable position that God exists in many forms at least as a cultural entity. People can and :censored:ing well do believe what they want - they also frequently choose not to test their beliefs rigorously using scientific methods. No amount of brow-beating will ever change that, so why bother? It's a foolish waste of time.

Did you watch Earth Story yet? It's absolutely spectacularly good.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dawkins tends to try to prove the unproveable - that there is no God. Eagleton takes the unimpeachable position that God exists in many forms at least as a cultural entity. People can and :censored:ing well do believe what they want - they also frequently choose not to test their beliefs rigorously using scientific methods. No amount of brow-beating will ever change that, so why bother? It's a foolish waste of time.

Did you watch Earth Story yet? It's absolutely spectacularly good.

Depends on your definition of proof. It's impossible to 'prove' literally anything - we can't prove gravity, we're just almost certain that it exists. Dawkins acknowledges that there is a possibility of a God, but equates its likelihood to that of the tooth fairy being real, given that they both have the same levels of proof.

Of course people can believe what they want (who said they can't?!), Dawkins (and many others) believe that a secular world would be a better one so naturally they'll try to put over their point...

Dawkins tends to try to prove the unproveable - that there is no God.

I can quite confidently state that Dawkins has never tried to do this, nor is this is a fair characterization of his position. In fact, I would say that the amount of atheists who hold this position would be part of an extreme minority.

I can quite confidently state that Dawkins has never tried to do this, nor is this is a fair characterization of his position. In fact, I would say that the amount of atheists who hold this position would be part of an extreme minority.

So you lot really are just purely yapping at people because of what they believe. Good. It makes it slightly more straightforward for you to butt out and mind your own business.

I am atheist and skeptic, and I understand that there aren't just two pigeon holes - skeptic or believer; most fit along in between the two so common ground can be achieved. As Steven Novella says, if your goal is to convince someone else to be a bit more skeptical about stuff (which is my goal), then it is helpful to find common intellectual ground and generally not piss them off -

We are all humans, with the same basic cognitive biases and mental flaws. If you approach someone with the attitude that they are gullible and you have all the answers, you are not likely to get far.

I'm in the same corner as Dawkins, but I know that he shouldn't be exempt from criticism - he's not infallible.

So you lot really are just purely yapping at people because of what they believe. Good. It makes it slightly more straightforward for you to butt out and mind your own business.

Touchy aren't we?

Besides, whilst it may be fun to challenge wacky (or otherwise) beliefs with discussion, outspoken atheists tend to be more vocal about the actions of some believers and how they impact on others.

Touchy aren't we?

Besides, whilst it may be fun to challenge wacky (or otherwise) beliefs with discussion, outspoken atheists tend to be more vocal about the actions of some believers and how they impact on others.

Oh portentous comet!

Please land on the coffee table of Alain de Botton,

Just after Richard Dawkins has asked for one sugar