what do you make of this?

Just watched it. They look level so onside but, in all honesty, going off those highlights, we got a right battering.

Can't believe Tarkowski's taken quite so much stick for the second goal whilst I've seen no mention of M'changama's embarrassing 'tackle'. Great double save from Cisak late on. And is that Robinson marching onto the pitch at the end? What a prick.

Sorry your wrong. The ball has to be played in a forward direction for a player to be offside. If a player stretches or moves back from an offside position to get a ball that is played sideways or backwards then he is deemed to be onside.

The ball has to move forwards for it to be offside.

Or does it? I think the player has to be in front of the ball at the time it's played. Trying to get my head round whether it means the same thing.

Very common misconception. "A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent"

Direction of the ball is Irrelevent - if you're in front of the ball and the second last opponent when your team mate plays it backwards and you run back to get it, you're still gonna be penalised for offside.

I thought that when he came on but, to be fair, he did just calm the situation.

After that he was a complete prick though

So that means, it was only during the incident that he wasn't a complete prick because he was definitely a complete prick before it!

Edited by Keepingthe Faith

I shouldn't get involved since this matter's diddly squat now anyway but....

Are you guys kidding me?

The picture CLEARLY shows ginger nuts playing Simpson onside. It's not even close. Just look at the six yard line. The defender's entire body would have to be in line with his own right boot, for it to be even disputable.

How is this being debated seriously?

I think some people should've gone to Specsavers.

I shouldn't get involved since this matter's diddly squat now anyway but....

Are you guys kidding me?

The picture CLEARLY shows ginger nuts playing Simpson onside. It's not even close. Just look at the six yard line. The defender's entire body would have to be in line with his own right boot, for it to be even disputable.

How is this being debated seriously?

I think some people should've gone to Specsavers.

I take back my initial cmments. Simpson is onside. For some reason I hadn't noticed Lewington trying to block Crofts pass and Simpson is at worst level with him.

:laught16:

Very common misconception. "A player is in an offside position if:

• he is nearer to his opponents’ goal line than both the ball and the second-last opponent"

Direction of the ball is Irrelevent - if you're in front of the ball and the second last opponent when your team mate plays it backwards and you run back to get it, you're still gonna be penalised for offside.

Yes but if you're behind or level with play then you're not closer to the goal than the ball and the opponent - just the opponent.

Yes but if you're behind or level with play then you're not closer to the goal than the ball and the opponent - just the opponent.

True but I don't think that contradicts what I said? My point was that, so long as you're in front of the ball when played, the direction it is played in makes no difference to your being in an offside position or not.

Edit: For example, this would be offside:

pic.twitter.com/lbCrSiaW

Edited by JoeLatics

True but I don't think that contradicts what I said? My point was that, so long as you're in front of the ball when played, the direction it is played in makes no difference to your being in an offside position or not.

Edit: For example, this would be offside:

pic.twitter.com/lbCrSiaW

If the balls gone backwards its not offside is it?