chant yesterday at pompey

what was the 'sat on a swan' chant all about?? i was completely confused and so where some others. great support by all who went down yesterday, didn't hear anyone complaining which was a pleasant change.

Don't know for sure but there were swan shaped rowing boats on the boating lake at Southsea

Different yes, class not. Our supporters have certainly in their vocal creativity in recent years.

Only ever copying versions of what they here on Sky or when big boys visit Mvoto is no Semedo another prime example.

Can't agree more. There are some that are just tedious these days. I mean, I didn't grow up in the 70s/80s/90s but I do think we have two or three decent, original ones.

Did you happen to watch Liverpool v Arsenal? On form Liverpool are excellent, but Arsenal sound like a poor, generic Football League side. It's odd but the variety in their chanting isn't much. Generic tunes etc. They sang loud and proud, but mainly to 'Sloop John B'. i heard "Arsene Wenger, he throws what he wants" and "Lukas Podolski, he scores when he wants". It's lazy and thoughtless tbh.

Yesterday, tbf, was excellent bar that shocker. "We sat on a swan". Seriously - what does it even mean in relation to supporting the team?. It's not even funny.

However, they're young lads and will grow out of it. I know I did, but that daft tune wasn't around then.

why do we not do the TITS chant on a reglar basis? I've done it a few times in the past, I wish it would carry on, it's original and hillarious

It's one of my favourites too. I think for a team that's crying out for pun based chants we should have more than that one. I don't think I've heard many other teams do the "I'm a bastard" chant but then again a few teams might actually get the Geography right.

Hi All the song was created by us as we did walk past the lake and there were swan peddlows so we asked the if we could sit on it and had picture taken on it as dont normally see them on away trips so as the beer flowed we thought we would have a laugh and a few fans joined in as it was something new.

Peeps need to lighten up about songs as someone mentioned singing i`m a bastard when we arent playing a yorkshire team means nothing apart from some people need to go to school to learn geography.

Hi All the song was created by us as we did walk past the lake and there were swan peddlows so we asked the if we could sit on it and had picture taken on it as dont normally see them on away trips so as the beer flowed we thought we would have a laugh and a few fans joined in as it was something new.

Peeps need to lighten up about songs as someone mentioned singing i`m a bastard when we arent playing a yorkshire team means nothing apart from some people need to go to school to learn geography.

I bet this is what John Lennon was like c1962.

Does it matter if it was just something silly? Some clearly did enjoy it, no-one could take offence to it and it was noise coming from our support which is something that everyone should get into the habit of doing. I've heard allsorts of bollocks sung at away matches in the past, in particular at Oakwell when people have fallen out of the many pubs on the way oddly enough.

Good luck to them.

I'm not particularly bothered if the tune's recycled or the words relate directly to the team, they're just chants, but the dreary rendition of OWTB needs to be ditched if it hasn't already. It sounds awful.

What - as in "Oh when the blues", probably the one chant that gets belted out throughout every match? Interesting. It sounds fantastic.

With football chants, for me they should have some level of originalty and go hand in hand with supporting the football club. They're not just chants. We could point to every aspect of what football fans do and question it. That applied to the human race. Traditions, character and identity are three things that sets us apart.

I'm only 22 and I still support Latics with those in mind. It's weakened as the game has been bought by an elite group, but it still survives. You could ask why on earth 400 people would travel a long way for just a football match.

Look at Manchester United. The modern away support they recieve is still very good, but it was one of the best traveling crowds in the country. Everything about them was original (as was the case for a lot of football clubs when a level fo originality existed). I don't mind the young lads having a sing, but I just wish we could zag a little when the majority of the Football League zigs. Obviously not on the level of MUFC. They just do it for the sake of it, i.e. anti-England shirts at games, pro-Ireland etc.

I still like to think this viewpoint is still alive hence the support football clubs still receive.

Actually thinking about it - I think there's a reason why a lot of Oldham supporters prefer the longer trips. Huddersfield, Tranmere etc are/were brilliant, but I'd always take a Portsmouth or Yeovil. I remember Millwall a few years ago being one of the best away days I've ever experienced because of the noise, not for the sake of making a bit of noise, but because it was all in support.

You could say that's rubbish, it doesn't help, but I think it does. I think we saw that in our display during the final third of Saturday's match. As the noise in the away end increased, so did the players' attitude to the game. It wasn't because a few of the lads sat on a swan. if it was funny or witty, then yeah I'd say fair enough. It wasn't, in my opinion, and it went along with a tune that is quite frankly killing atmospheres. It's all a little plastic.

Jesus, a few pissed up lads sang something daft about something they'd done. The sun still rose the next morning.

A few have mentioned something relating to most football crowds. That's just being used as an example. Nowt major.

There's a simple answer if you don't wish to read on.

What - as in "Oh when the blues", probably the one chant that gets belted out throughout every match? Interesting. It sounds fantastic.

The chant itself is fine - if not terribly original :wink: - it's the speed and the monotony that I don't like. Jazz it up a bit.

With football chants, for me they should have some level of originalty and go hand in hand with supporting the football club. They're not just chants. We could point to every aspect of what football fans do and question it. That applied to the human race. Traditions, character and identity are three things that sets us apart.

I'm only 22 and I still support Latics with those in mind. It's weakened as the game has been bought by an elite group, but it still survives. You could ask why on earth 400 people would travel a long way for just a football match.

That's your feelings on the subject and a lot of other people's, I suspect. Nowt wrong with that, it wouldn't do for us all to think the same way. Just my opinion; for me, these days, football is just an excuse to get out of the house for an all-dayer. A bit of a jolly sing song is nice. Doesn't have to be a wit-fest, though. Not being facetious here, but do you have any ideas on what tunes/lyrics should replace the ones you dislike?

I just wish we could zag a little when the majority of the Football League zigs.

Do we have to be different just for the hell of it? Should every club strive to be completely different from the next, even in terms of chants?

I wasn't there but I'd take a wild guess and say "Sloop John B"

I was there, it was Sloop John B.

Not an original tune and like most here I wish that there was more variety in chants but as long as there's something witty then its okay.

If you want to be very different do the proper chanting like European clubs do. Real Madrid do it a lot with a speaker.

ok then if people are

I was there, it was Sloop John B.

Not an original tune and like most here I wish that there was more variety in chants but as long as there's something witty then its okay.

If you want to be very different do the proper chanting like European clubs do. Real Madrid do it a lot with a speaker.

I think most of us are with you on that, as long as it's not the same song everyone sings like that god awful "(insert town name here)'s a :censored:hole I want to go home"

it's just a phase thing, after Euro 96 every English chant seemed to be to the tune of Three Lions and before that it was to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys a few years ago it was to Baby Give it up by KC & The Sunshine Band. I wonder what the next one will be,

As for Utd being the club who seem to create these chants my mate whose a Utd fan was going on about how they sang "All we need is Shinji Kagawa" to the Tune of Radio Gaga last Saturday but little did he know we were singing that about JP Kalala 5 years ago

ok then if people are

I think most of us are with you on that, as long as it's not the same song everyone sings like that god awful "(insert town name here)'s a :censored:hole I want to go home"

it's just a phase thing, after Euro 96 every English chant seemed to be to the tune of Three Lions and before that it was to the tune of Go West by the Pet Shop Boys a few years ago it was to Baby Give it up by KC & The Sunshine Band. I wonder what the next one will be,

As for Utd being the club who seem to create these chants my mate whose a Utd fan was going on about how they sang "All we need is Shinji Kagawa" to the Tune of Radio Gaga last Saturday but little did he know we were singing that about JP Kalala 5 years ago

You aren't going to like it as its the same tune as the sh**hole chant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdov2UIjUpY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Lack of originality - mvoto song stolen from Sheff Weds

Wesolowski - stolen from Liverpool and barely even works because it becomes so disjointed.

Furman - has and original version of a song but possibly one of the worst latics chants ever.

Simpson - great thought into this one. McDonald and Vernon being the predecessors.

Then we have Cisak,Bryne, Grounds,Tarky,brown,Changy,Croft,Montano who don't even have chants to name a few - must be inspiring for them. Granted some are new but a bit of effort??

The only thing that was different was Matt Smiths Chant that came together at Scunny last year. Where Ole Ole came from god knows - he's no juninho.

As for 'one Paul Dickov' thank god for that.

Time to get upto date and unique I think, just don't ask me I'm no lyricist.