Getting new fans through the gates

Its been mentioned on here a few times that the club don't send out emails to fans who haven't renewed their season tickets or that they missed a trick with the trip to anfield by not getting every bodies emails and sending them stuff on fixtures, ticket prices and offers.

Is this something that the trust or some volunteers of here could do as I think it could get some extra fans through the turnstiles. If a few people was to spend a couple of days in the town centre asking people things such as which team they support? If they attend matches? Why don't they attend matches? What would make them want to go to latics? And also get an email address off them then I'm sure somebody could do a weekly news letter that is sent to these people letting them know about what games are coming up, how we are getting on in the league and ticket news.

I know it would take a lot of time and effort but I'm sure it would put a few extra bums on seats and I'd be willing to put in some time and help out.

Its been mentioned on here a few times that the club don't send out emails to fans who haven't renewed their season tickets or that they missed a trick with the trip to anfield by not getting every bodies emails and sending them stuff on fixtures, ticket prices and offers.

Is this something that the trust or some volunteers of here could do as I think it could get some extra fans through the turnstiles. If a few people was to spend a couple of days in the town centre asking people things such as which team they support? If they attend matches? Why don't they attend matches? What would make them want to go to latics? And also get an email address off them then I'm sure somebody could do a weekly news letter that is sent to these people letting them know about what games are coming up, how we are getting on in the league and ticket news.

I know it would take a lot of time and effort but I'm sure it would put a few extra bums on seats and I'd be willing to put in some time and help out.

I'd like to help

May be limited to collating email addresses, sending out newsletters, following up , etc, mostly as I work up and down the country Monday to Friday.

Please let me know

All I know is other clubs do some of this. I bought a pair of tickets from Southend about five years ago. Every year without fail they ring me to try and get me to invest in their youth squad. I get emailed by Spuds, Villa, Noblot, Shrewsbury, and the list goes on. The whys and whatnots are easy. They are what every club has. The least we sould do is the same as the others.

NB. And I still maintain an advertising blimp (well two) one colour when we have a game, one when we don't will let half the population of Oldham know when we are playing and we can also get a bit of money in by advertising with it.

NB. And I still maintain an advertising blimp (well two) one colour when we have a game, one when we don't will let half the population of Oldham know when we are playing and we can also get a bit of money in by advertising with it.

Of course it's all about finding the finance to do it, but we would do well to take a leaf out of the book of St Helens RL when it comes to advertising. I drive through there quite a bit and they have an unmissable shiny new sign (admittedly with a shiny new stadium to go with it...) as you enter the town from the M62, advertising the team and who and when they're next playing. They also advertise on the side of the buses that go through the town centre.

Gives them a very modern and professional look - would it make a difference to us if we could advertise in such a way? If we found the resources we could even stretch to advertising on the side of a tram.....

Manchester United have incredibly gone down this alley. It's quite shocking to be honest. Essentially, those 20-year waiting queues are no more and apparently to secure season ticket holders there is a personalised Sir Alex phone message playing to the supporters' hearts "when we lost the title to City it was a tough day, help us get it back".

Shocking, as I say.

Send curious orange, Matt Smith and one of our more attractive players down Oxford Road in a couple of weeks during Freshers week with some flyers and get rid of the silly student membership scheme. We are a club within easy travel of the second largest University in the country and yet students have to fanny around providing a passport photo, a letter of attendance and £13 just to get in cheaply. OK 99% of students probably aren't interested for a variety of reasons but £10 from 1 who wouldn't normally come is £10 more than we are getting at the moment.

Personally, I think word of mouth and active supporter plugging is far more effective than newsletters or a few tweets or Facebook updates.

Who does this? Afterall we are "members" of this club, so it also falls on our shoulders to help attract new supporters.

Edited by UpTheLatics

All good ideas.

However, I should point out the club do a weekly newsletter already, with details of the upcming fixture and articles off the website etc.

It looks professional on my opinion.

Be interesting to see who gets it then.

As Singe mentioned, we do release a weekly e-newsletter - if you guys have any ideas to add to this let us know!

If you aren't already, and you do want to sign up to this you can do so via this link

Cheers

Of course it's all about finding the finance to do it, but we would do well to take a leaf out of the book of St Helens RL when it comes to advertising. I drive through there quite a bit and they have an unmissable shiny new sign (admittedly with a shiny new stadium to go with it...) as you enter the town from the M62, advertising the team and who and when they're next playing. They also advertise on the side of the buses that go through the town centre.

Gives them a very modern and professional look - would it make a difference to us if we could advertise in such a way? If we found the resources we could even stretch to advertising on the side of a tram.....

This is where I think we are going so so very wrong at Oldham - football is big business now, yet we seem to be stuck in the dark ages.

There are loads of examples e.g. look no further than the new website!