Cliff Byrne

He has had a couple pf games there now and for all those who where begging for it to happen are they happier with him at centre back?

to me he is too slow and and just hoofs it 90% of the time - I can see why Scunny let him go, more interested in kicking his opponent half the time than playing football

in the first 5 he kicked Clarke of the ball, Clarke did kick him back but that was because he had his hand on his throat

as for the goal, well a young full defender sat on the bench must be thinking, "oh look thats what O'Grady did to me!" which is why many wanted this change in the first place

I was watching him last night, thinking he doesn't look like a footballer, but actually is quite solid and doesn't often make a mistake.

He made a few saving tackles , and came away with the ball and made a good pass to start a move up the field.

He also takes on board what other players say, unlike other players ( notably Grounds) who just shout straight back if criticised.

He looks better at cb than rb, shame for Connor brown that wabarra looks better than both of them.

Byrne is gd ugly , but I wouldn't tell him.

Edited by stevesidg

I was watching him last night, thinking he doesn't look like a footballer, but actually is quite solid and doesn't often make a mistake.

He made a few saving tackles , and can away with ball and made a good pass to start a move up the field.

He also takes on board what other players say, unlike other players ( notably Grounds) who just shout straight back if criticised.

He looks better at cb than rb, shame for Connor brown that wabarra looks better than both of them.

Byrne is gd ugly , but I wouldn't tell him.

He isn't an imposing centre back, but we will have to make do as circumstances dictate,

Edited by BP1960

He has had a couple pf games there now and for all those who where begging for it to happen are they happier with him at centre back?

to me he is too slow and and just hoofs it 90% of the time - I can see why Scunny let him go, more interested in kicking his opponent half the time than playing football

in the first 5 he kicked Clarke of the ball, Clarke did kick him back but that was because he had his hand on his throat

as for the goal, well a young full defender sat on the bench must be thinking, "oh look thats what O'Grady did to me!" which is why many wanted this change in the first place

I'd rather have Byrne in at cb than tarky yes. Tarkys got potential but we need to play our strongest team and to me that's with Byrne at cb.

Have to agree with the hoofing mind, that diagonal searching ball usually aimed at noone is irritating. Actually read scunny fans talking of that very ball on their forum when we signed him! Having said that, both mvoto and tarky arnt great at distributing it out either!

I'd rather have Byrne in at cb than tarky yes. Tarkys got potential but we need to play our strongest team and to me that's with Byrne at cb.

Have to agree with the hoofing mind, that diagonal searching ball usually aimed at noone is irritating. Actually read scunny fans talking of that very ball on their forum when we signed him! Having said that, both mvoto and tarky arnt great at distributing it out either!

Me too. When Tarky has the ball, I often feel as if he's going to lose it or do a long ball which turns out to be a total flop but he definately has potential. I've seen us do that diagonal ball quite a few times and it gets quite annoying as it never really works out and is cut out by the opposition or over hit. Ah well!

Edited by AnthonyOAFC

Interesting point about the hoofing, at Portsmouth nearly every time he was under any sort of pressure he would hoof it long down the pitch, out for a throw or a corner. It's not ideal and against teams that punish us from set pieces it might prove to be our undoing but it certainly adds an element of decisiveness that we don't have when Mvoto and Tarky are at the back. I think the rest of the defence/team benefit from this.

Me too. I'm sure Tarky will come good in time but Byrne can actually defend properly which, in my opinion, is an absolute must for a centre half. I'm not suggesting his distribution couldn't be better but at least he is a solid steady defender who doesn't frighten me to death every time the ball goes near him.

We would be moaning for a different reason if he played it back or square and it was a mistake leading to a goal. Is it that bad to play safe - as a defender who can hardly spray passes like Iniesta, just get rid into a channel, let a forward chase and try win a throw. Leave the tippy tappy to the midfielders when we have some space. If they are pressing and it has come back to him, with our midfielders under pressure - laces out Cliff! Sometimes it's best to play percentage football - but not all the time, admittedly. If it's going long too much, why are we giving it to Cliff to be the playmaker, the other lads needs to get involved and start working it. I don't think Big Jean sprays it short either by the way...

Gerry Taggart in the programme last night: "What is the best advice you have ever been given?" -"Stop thinking you are a player....you are a defender,start defending!"

Advice that he's passing on?

That sounds like good advice to me. Cliff is certainly no Richard Jobson but he's a solid enough defender at this level.

Interesting point about the hoofing, at Portsmouth nearly every time he was under any sort of pressure he would hoof it long down the pitch, out for a throw or a corner. It's not ideal and against teams that punish us from set pieces it might prove to be our undoing but it certainly adds an element of decisiveness that we don't have when Mvoto and Tarky are at the back. I think the rest of the defence/team benefit from this.

this /\ and this \/

We would be moaning for a different reason if he played it back or square and it was a mistake leading to a goal. Is it that bad to play safe - as a defender who can hardly spray passes like Iniesta, just get rid into a channel, let a forward chase and try win a throw. Leave the tippy tappy to the midfielders when we have some space. If they are pressing and it has come back to him, with our midfielders under pressure - laces out Cliff! Sometimes it's best to play percentage football - but not all the time, admittedly. If it's going long too much, why are we giving it to Cliff to be the playmaker, the other lads needs to get involved and start working it. I don't think Big Jean sprays it short either by the way...

He's a row Z type. Not pretty to watch, but effective. I like how he is no nonsense and just gets rid. If in doubt and all that.

JYM did a couple last night of what I like to call (and it's catchy!) feckinhellourcentrebackistryingtocruffturnontheedgeoftheboxandicantwatch, he got away with them last night, but I wouldn't suddenly want him thinking he's Patrick Viera and trying them all the time. Big Jean is better when he doesn't have time on the ball, or time to think - just keep it simple.

Hopefully, playing with Byrne will improve JYM further - giving him the help & advice to develop the 'ugly & nasty' sides of CB play and the 'get rid' mentality.

At present - and I like Tarky as a player - Byrne stays at CB for me, keep the JYM partnership developing, and Reece Wabararararara can keep the RB slot; until he goes back to Citeh and then Connor Brown can come back in.

The defense is looking better with each game played IMO.

Edited by slystallone

Byrne has been solid , when it needs hoofing or banging into touch he does it.

He hasn't sold the keeper a short backpass or rubbish header .

Keeps it simple & happy to bring the ball out from the keeper ....better than a lot of the rubbish we have had in recent years imo.

he got turned out of his boots for Clarke's goal so much that he still wondering where he went

and imo opinion he also bangs into touch a lot when it doesn't need it

not impressed - give it a few weeks but imo he is far from the answer and it wont take a lot for people to turn on him

Good to see 2 defenders doing what they have trained all of their lives to do - Defend! Win headers, tackles and win your battles. They did that, despite a tough start to the game.

Bags of 'on the ball' quality in front of 'em - Bouzanis was a spectator 2nd half, as a defender, you'd be pleased with that

Good to see 2 defenders doing what they have trained all of their lives to do - Defend! Win headers, tackles and win your battles. They did that, despite a tough start to the game.

Bags of 'on the ball' quality in front of 'em - Bouzanis was a spectator 2nd half, as a defender, you'd be pleased with that

it was the near 20 shots in the first half that was the problem! a good second half does not change that.

it was the near 20 shots in the first half that was the problem! a good second half does not change that.

I really don't see what your getting at? We look much better at the back with Byrne at cb? Do you not think? If so your definately in the minority.

No I dont think, I think we got run ragged in the first half on Tuesday and how we went in at 1-1 is was more luck than skill

a better team than Scunny would have finished that game in the first 20 mins

we looked better in the 2nd half but....solid? far from it! we had a lot more possession in the 2nd half which helped hide our frailty's at the back but that wont happen every game

I may be in the minority at at the moment but wait and see

No I dont think, I think we got run ragged in the first half on Tuesday and how we went in at 1-1 is was more luck than skill

a better team than Scunny would have finished that game in the first 20 mins

we looked better in the 2nd half but....solid? far from it! we had a lot more possession in the 2nd half which helped hide our frailty's at the back but that wont happen every game

I may be in the minority at at the moment but wait and see

So if tarky had of played in place of Byrne first half we wouldn't of got run ragged? The whole team played below par first half, then we upped it second half. But our defence for all their "frailties" limited them to 5 shots on target all game. We got 11 shots on target in on them with less possession

So if tarky had of played in place of Byrne first half we wouldn't of got run ragged? The whole team played below par first half, then we upped it second half. But our defence for all their "frailties" limited them to 5 shots on target all game. We got 11 shots on target in on them with less possession

These 2 comments sum the game up for me personally, hence the praise overall of our back 2/5. If I thought anyone would have been constructively criticised after the first half, i'd have thought Furman and Croft would have been leading candidates - Woeful in and out of possession in the 1st half, Furball upped his game 2nd half, which upped the whole side as well.

Byrne is a decent addition - just looks sadly, like one of those players some fans don't take too - I think he's alreet.

I never said anything about Tarky against Clarke

I mentioned that Tarkys head was called for on here after a similar goal conceded against Sheff Wed or at I insinuated it at least

BBC website says 9 shots on target by Scunny and we had more possession as well only slightly though

as for limiting them to anything, as I said it was more poor finishing on their part - a better team would have killed us by half time

guess we will have to agree to disagree and see how it goes over the next few weeks - I hope he proves me wrong

I never said anything about Tarky against Clarke

I mentioned that Tarkys head was called for on here after a similar goal conceded against Sheff Wed or at I insinuated it at least

BBC website says 9 shots on target by Scunny and we had more possession as well only slightly though

as for limiting them to anything, as I said it was more poor finishing on their part - a better team would have killed us by half time

guess we will have to agree to disagree and see how it goes over the next few weeks - I hope

he proves me wrong

Tbf the goal conceded v Sheff weds wasnt the reason for people calling for him to be dropped. It'd been costly mistake after mistake carrying

over from last season. As I said earlier though, the lads got great potential, Id just rather have Byrne in at the moment.

Got my stats from the guardian, said they had 5 on target and they had 54% possession. Probably wrong but it helped my argument :~p

Edited by Schlieb