Just Can't Win...

Building something?

How do you build something on the back of short term contracts, loan deals and contracts that run for 2 seasons only?

There's a sure fire way of removing negativity - win a lot (not the dog food; ah ah!). If PD had a remotely respectable win %age he might have some point to his argument.

Pessimism can drag teams down, but let's face it - Latics' fans have a right to be pessimistic given the club's league position not just under Dickov and a ground that is showing it's age. I'd rather SC say it's not good enough than PD saying everything's rosy - one wants something better and the other is satisfied with the status quo.

Corney may well be right, but I'm not sure washing your dirty laundry in public every time we play badly is helpful. You can see how if you were, say, a player on a short term contract who's attracting interest from other clubs, who's publicly stated he loves it here and wants to stay, if your MD went to the press slating you and saying you should give your appearance money back as soon as you had a bad game, you might think "stick your appearance money, I could get three times as much at another club and get cut a bit of slack". I'm not disagreeing with what Corney said, I just think it should have been said in private.

As for the negativity, that's not just us, that's the way football is now.Probably something to do with the overblown Sky-driven hyperbole surrounding the game now. You're either the best team in the history of the game or the manager needs to be sacked. I've had people tell me I should count myself lucky I support Oldham and not Liverpool "because Liverpool are REALLY in decline", and I heard Evertonians calling for David Moyes to be sacked on the day of the 2009 FA Cup final (because losing to Chelsea proved he'd taken them as far as he could). Perspective's a quality that seems to be sadly lacking nowadays.

You have just provided the money for Derbyshire to stay longer and then see your team failing to play to his strengths and losing a game which put us firmly back into the relegation battle. Corney knows as do we all that this team without Derbyshire and Baxter doesn't have the goals to stay up so we have to have the points in the bag when they go. Annoyed, angry, pissed off ............

Pretty sure we haven't won 3 games in a row since PD has been here so he really needs to wake up to reality.

As for "building something"? How on earth can you do that with short term loan players? If we can by some miracle keep Baxter and Derbyshire and find another Gregan rather than the likes of Mvoto then we have a chance to do something next season but if, as we fear, they are gone at Christmas then we are back to square one or worse

Is that negative? Maybe or perhaps just completely realistic. The fact is, this squad should have 6-7 more points than it does right now and that could be very important come May.