LEE HUGHES......

futchers briefs

Good signing?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hughes a good thing for Latics?

• Yes, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably YES
    • No, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably NO

I've no doubt his signing will have some reaching for their moral handbooks!! so let's get cracking with a thread!

Personally, although an obvious gamble, I think it could be a cracking signing, presumably Greags has had an input with this, where they at W.Brom at the same time??

Hopefully, he'll be fit as a fiddle and raring to go....and if that's the case, are we not looking potentially at the best striker in the division?!

As you can tell i'm giving off the positive vibes on this one. :bobby::OWTB1:

Official Article >>here<<

Edited by Ackey
added link in - Ack and Poll

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone gets a chance... but unless his contract is airtight in terms of what happens if he steps out of line, drinks, gets banged up again, doesn't play due to fitness problems then I'm concerned. It'd also need to be tight about letting him go... we don't want to bring him in, get him match fit and then he can sod off in the new year to a championship club for £5 and a family bag of chedders!

It's a MASSIVE gamble... but as you say, if it pays off we potentially have the best player in league one... if not, we could be in the crap big time.

I'm torn between wanting to see justice done and wanting a new striker. In my opinion only doing 3 years is pathetic - I'm sure we'd all think the same if we knew the bloke who was killed. So I'd rather he stayed in there but for some strange reason I'm not the Home Secretary so if the powers that be deem him fit for release then we sure as hell could do with someone like him. If they do release him in August I cant see him being ready for quite a while and when he does he's going to find it difficult - the stick he'll get will be tremendous plus he'll have all the usual problems of someone coming out from prison trying to get on with their lives.

Am a bit confused with this one - I say bang him up for a few more years but if he's banging in our promotion clinching goal next May I'll be ecstatic. God, I'm a hypocrite.

Guest sheridans_world

It is not set in stone that he will be released yet. He has a parole hearing. I guess the fact he can say he will have a job helps.

I have no problem with him from a moral point of view... like Help Shiny, I think doing 3 years for killing someone is a shocking amount of time... however that moral issue has no bearing... that is not because he's getting off lightly - the accpeted term to serve is 1/2 what is given if no problems occur once whilst the person is inside, and that's what he's done.

I think thats an awful rule and he should serve more - but that's not the argument against him - becuase ANYONE convicted would only have served the same before going back to be an accountant or whatever... only the public nature of Huges makes that an argument.

Personally, I think important factors to consider are:

Fitness (physical)

Fitness (mental)

Alcohol (did/does he have a problem)

Security (does he need some!?)

Acceptance (both from fans and the team)

Contract (don't want to be left out of pocket if it all goes up in smoke, but at the same time need to have clauses preventing him from using us to make it to match fitness and then run off to the Championship for nothing)

Personally, I think important factors to consider are:

Fitness (physical)

Fitness (mental)

Alcohol (did/does he have a problem)

Security (does he need some!?)

Acceptance (both from fans and the team)

Contract (don't want to be left out of pocket if it all goes up in smoke, but at the same time need to have clauses preventing him from using us to make it to match fitness and then run off to the Championship for nothing)

You're spot on there ackey imo.....here's my view on your points

whilst no expert on prison life :ph34r: he'll prob be fitter than he ever has been? Physically

Mentally he could well be even tougher?? (though not sure that's a good thing, as i think he was a bit of a case anyway?!?!

Security..who's gonna mess with him and greags on a saturday afternoon :stretcher:

Acceptance...Any decent player worth his salt thrives when given stick by opposition fans...a la Becket!!!!

Contract.. £5 and bag of cheddars!! :grin::laught16::laught16:

Edited by Ackey
fixed quote

Think this could the best signing for the Tics along with Greags for a long time. You never know a signing of this quality just may convince the out-of-contracters to stay put as there will be a real chance of promotioné.

:thumb08: Oh Ackey and BTW Thanks for the Edit/Link

No problem... thinking more about this the less concerned I am.

First instinct was to worry about the negatives. But if they can be controlled/managed then the possibilities of this lad coming in are immense. He's clearly got an eye for goal, and the key is just going to be the fitness (as before, mental and match-fit) he has.

If the contract is right, and I see no reason why it shouldn't be, then we could be in a win-win situation... if he fails (and there is a chance) then we lose out on what should be low wages and no signing on fee... if he succeeds he could be our ticket to promotion... If he succeeds (but we fail) we could make a mint when selling him on.

Key is going to be two fold, for me, which is Shez's control over him and also the contract that TTA (or, God help us, Bazza) put together for him.

After reading The Sun's helpful "OLDHAM GRAB SOCCER KILLER" exclusive I think he's going to get a very tough ride. If he's released and all this actually happens of course.

Something that I didnt realise was that not only did a man die instantly but his wife died the year after from her injuries and that the man driving the other car is now in a wheelchair. 3 years?

Can you imagine if it has been Bazza sorting this contract out :laught16: Oh eck!

As for Shez's control, he's giving him an opportunity to resurrect his career, so the lad surely should always keep this at the front of his bald head! And if he does give him any stick, Shez can just set his brothers on him! :stretcher:

i feel sorry for the family of the victims as i am sure we all do.

but in a purely football sense, he would be a top signin i reckon! i know its a gamble but as it has been said i bet he will be super fit and was an undoubted talent before he went inside! think he could be key for us challenging for promotion if we get him!

The Sun Article

Oldham grab soccer killer

By ANDREW PARKER

May 30, 2007

SOCCER killer Lee Hughes is walking straight back into the game after being released from jail THREE years early. The star, 31 — who caused two deaths in a car crash — has agreed a deal with League One Oldham while still in prison.

A victim paralysed in the smash said last night: "It's a mockery of justice."

Hughes, a former £5million Premiership striker, got six years for causing death by dangerous driving after his £100,000 Mercedes hit a car carrying Douglas Graham, 56, and wife Maureen, 51, in Coventry.

Douglas was killed instantly and Maureen died a year later after never recovering from internal injuries. Hughes fled the scene to avoid being breathalysed. He was high on booze and drugs.

The Grahams' car driver Albert Frisby, 61, now in a wheelchair, said: "Douglas and Maureen died and my life is in ruins because of Hughes."

The ex Coventry and West Brom player joins Oldham when he gets parole in August. Club boss Richard Corney travelled to Featherstone jail, Wolverhampton, to shake hands on a deal with Hughes, who kept fit playing for the prison team.

He said: "Lee looked in terrific shape and we view this as quite a coup. He wants to get his life and career back on track."

Sweet Jesus they're worse than the Chron... "Club boss Richard Corney..."

FOOLS!

Disgusted with this club and Barry Owen, I for one won't ever be cheering the name of this scum.

At least be constructive Man! We're all entitled to our opinion... but give us something to debate over and not just a Sun-esq sensationalist quote!

Guest sheridans_world

So sky put a picture up of Chris Porter Taylor and the Sun cant even get our owners name right. :angry:

I think this has the potential to be the best signing we have made for years ....... can you imagine all of the other avaliable plodders out there that it could have been

Re the moral "dilemna" others are talking about - the man has served his time - if you don't agree, stand for parliament and change the law

I just hope this doesn't turn out to be another Heffernan

Guest sheridans_world
Disgusted with this club and Barry Owen, I for one won't ever be cheering the name of this scum.

Its not down to us to be passing moral justice. This country is at fault for its judicial process, not Oldham Athletic. Fact is he can perform on the pitch.

You may say that now but i bet you celebrate his goals, i bet you will cheer his name if he scores 25 goals next season.

Lee Hughes has done something terrible, i do not condone it and i think it is disgusting. Oldham Athletic are simply taking the chance of signing a top class player. He will be an asset to the club.

Sadly, his personal life has nothing to do with you, me or anyone else on this board so long as he keeps himself to himself.

Would you quit your job if someone came out of prison for drink driving and got hired at your place of work? Somehow i dont think so.

What happened, happened, he should have had longer but the judge saw fit not to give him longer. Is that Lee Hughes fault?

Guest gillianfn

Quality. You couldn't make it up. Why don't we go the whole hog and get Prince Naz to do some training for us, Gazza to do the psychology coaching, Ian Brady to run the creche and resurrect Harold Shipman as club doctor. Just a thought.

Quality. You couldn't make it up. Why don't we go the whole hog and get Prince Naz to do some training for us, Gazza to do the psychology coaching, Ian Brady to run the creche and resurrect Harold Shipman as club doctor. Just a thought.

now that would make a GREAT OWTB T-shirt!

Guest sheridans_world
now that would make a GREAT OWTB T-shirt!

Let me guess, you're firing the printers up as we speak?

You may say that now but i bet you celebrate his goals, i bet you will cheer his name if he scores 25 goals next season.

Sadly, his personal life has nothing to do with you, me or anyone else on this board so long as he keeps himself to himself.

Would you quit your job if someone came out of prison for drink driving and got hired at your place of work? Somehow i dont think so.

Trust me, I won't be celebrating anything this 'man' does for us.

And it isn't close to being the same, they won't be working in a high profile job in the public eye.

:D Do i sense a hint of sarcasm in your keypad gillian :lol:

I know i pay to judge players on their footballing ability and efforts for oafc, so i will be praising when needed as he opens his account in front of the Chaddy End!! (If of course he does sign!!!! :blush: )

Lee Hughes Or Chris "Marlon Brando" Hall...C'mon football fans, not a tough choice!!!