Lee Croft Questions

But he does run. He works very hard, covering the full back. There is no hiding from the fact that he is overweight. He is not the player we had when he was 19 when he was raw and fast, now he is very industrious. What I want him to improve is his delivery into the box. All in all you don't need to be able to run to be a winger!

Okay gaz I will change my terminology.

He needs to run faster than who is playing left back and he is only half as fast week in week out.

It's unacceptable to be honest.

He works his balls off I agree but as a footballer you have a responsibility to look after yourself as it is such a short career.

Even his dead ball play is :censored:ing awful at the moment and that doesn't require a run up.

I agree. Our best attacking outlay bar Baxter. Is Warbara. Connor brown is a capable rb. For me that should be our partnership down the right. Croft needs to know he can't perform like this and still keep his place.

Seen nothing in Wabara to suggest he is a midfielder, doubt he has ever played there for City reserves let alone us, out of interest what makes you think he would be better there rather than full back?

Seen nothing in Wabara to suggest he is a midfielder, doubt he has ever played there for City reserves let alone us, out of interest what makes you think he would be better there rather than full back?

Just because I rate him going forward, he has a half decent cross and can beat a man and for what it's worth I think he is suspect defensively.

Edited by welshgaz

I don't recall him having much success last time? In fact many called for him to be taken off them. People also point to the fact that we play too holding wingers as the reason for not scoring, just a big a problem is the hopeless floated balls into the box which are was to defend and for the keeper to claim. We only put one good ball in yesterday through grounds.

Don't mean to sound gloomy and pessimistic but it seems like this current crop of kids i.e. Millar, Winchester, Mellor and Hughes are not up to the task really, unless we see major improvements in all of them we won't do well putting our hopes on their shoulders. Only Tarky is making any impact.

M'Changama, Taylor, Montano and Brown who are the age-group above seem far better prospects (and we signed them all from other clubs). I've also heard lots of good reviews about the youth team now, especially 2 CBs and we can put Sutherland in that group too.

It's all about progression though, at 17/18 years old and even recently Mellor and Winchester were seen as a really fruitful talents but they've not lived up to the predictions and bid that Fulham put in for them. Hopefully we can put a lot into a concentrated group instead of share out resources between a larger selection. I'd rather we push a handful of real talents rather than waste money and time on those that aren't as promising.

Sadly it is looking that way to me too.

Okay gaz I will change my terminology.

He needs to run faster than who is playing left back and he is only half as fast week in week out.

It's unacceptable to be honest.

He works his balls off I agree but as a footballer you have a responsibility to look after yourself as it is such a short career.

Even his dead ball play is :censored:ing awful at the moment and that doesn't require a run up.

He remind me of how I run and I don't mind admitting that I can swim faster than I can run! He puts so much effort into his stride but by fcuk doesn't he look like he running with his boots on the wrong feet...

He is a disgrace in my eyes. Its getting hard to tell him and Broady apart. For a professional athlete to be that size is a joke.

On the pitch he keeps the ball well but never takes his man on and is always 15/20 yards either side of half way. Without such a good right back hed have been found out ages ago. Wabara is both the attack and defense on the right hand side.

Discussion in the pub afterwards centered on whether or not Croft should be dropped. I've come to the decision he probably should be. He's been a bit of a disappointment, yep he workd hard enough; but i havent seen him take on the FB and whip over decent crosses with any consistency.

I think he needs a spell out; to remind him he needs to deliver to play games. I'm just not sure the next few weeks is the time to do it.

Having just read Rick Holden's biography?? You don't need pace, just a bit of nous and the ability to actually to get the ball to be your slave! #oldfashionedwingplayis dead

But Ricky could go past a man from a standing start - same with David Eyres, Croft can't do that running.

Edited by BP1960

I couldn't understand why M'Changama didn't take the corners as he can whip the ball in. I understand why you could see the game as a nearly one but again changes could have been made to improve things rather than make them worse. Croft is not going to lose weight now but I suspect they are told not to lose the ball so they end up taking no chances. Up and at them I say!