The Way Forward

Now i've had time to reflect on the resignation of PD and the season so far, i have come to various conclusions about the club and what we need to do to move forward now.

First and foremost we need a manager (obviously.) With this, i believe that the only way to move away from our current situation would be to appoint an experienced head as an intrim manager until the end of the season, maybe with the view to extending their deal depending on how successful they are in their role. With this there are various names in the hat for who could take over...

Peter Reid

Iain Dowie

Brian Horton

Gary Megson

John Coleman

I believe that any one of those managers has the ability and tactical mind to be able to get us away from the relegation zone. They would also be good candidates who would instill a harder discipline onto the players, which is what we definitely need from now on.

A culture seems to have developed within the team that believes that you don't have to go out on that field and fight for the win, you can just simply turn up and steam roll teams - this has seemingly been the attitude since half way through PD's first season in charge. A new manager has to cut this attitude straight away and needs to preach the values of urgency and fight onto the players.

However, then i believe that the club needs to also consider the longer term - if we stay in league 1 or we are relegated - a younger fresher manager would be my personal choice for the job, i know the argument is that it didn't work for Dickov, but it could have done if the correct values were instilled into the team. There are plenty of candidates to pick from....

Micky Mellon

Nick Barmby

Steve Thompson

David Unsworth

etc.

From my point of view - this could be seen as the fresh start we need - as soon as our position next season is confirmed, get in touch with the man they want and get him in to draw up lists of players - pick who they want to remain at the club or leave etc. I'd also keep the experienced intrim manager around to assist with this for the weeks after the seasons end - a sort of transition period for the club.

I think it is important that there is a transition when changing the manager, should this happen - rather than allowing a straight swap between managers to happen and the new man coming in clueless of the current team.

The club on the whole

The club is in a mess and everyone can see it - i think in order to move forward there needs to be a major re-structure of the club from top, right down to the bottom - Even at boardroom level, there needs to be a sufficient change - Corney should remain as chairman, but he should be looking to bring in an a new director who has experience as managing a club and can offer advice to Corney and help him to re-structure the club, the finances etc. Ideally this new man would have bags of money with him, but even his/her help in achieving the change within the club could be vital in outlining our progression.

The new stand also needs to be built, sooner rather than later - again i see this as another progression within this transition within the club which will see us earn more money from corporate events and office space within the stand. This new stand could be vital in changing our fortunes as it would make the club a more inviting place to come and invest your money, especially if it spurred on further re-development of the stadium. This might be the catalyst for change and investment coming in.

Relegation

This would be the make or brake situation at Latics, so many clubs have experienced it with being relegated to league 2 - the management of the club would have to be top notch and vital decisions would have to be made in every area should it happen. Ultimately, cut backs would have to take place both off and on the field, but this would have to be done pragmatically to give us the best possible chance of surviving and even coming back up at the first chance.

However, should the management of the club be insufficient, i would fear for our survival, not just in league 2 but also in general terms. I would seriously hope that relegation would not bankrupt us and that a plan is already in place should it happen, but we could be the next Darlington etc. who cease to exist because of both bad club management and lack of suitable investment into the club.

Overall

The club needs a re-structure from top to bottom and summer would be the perfect time for this to occur - we started "The Evolution" two years ago when the new club badge was unveiled, but there has hardly been an evolution taken place...

The club ultimately needs a "Revolution" with Corney taking the summer to put the club through a transitional period that would put us on a more financially sound footing and also allow the playing side to receive both suitable investment to succeed and also a manager with the passion and right values that will help the team and the club on the whole to progress and move on, from what has been and may remain to be a terrible season.

Thanks for reading.

I need a drink now. :wink:

Edited by Latics_Fanatic

Well, yeah it is. If he was sacked; we'd have had to pay compensation for the full 1 year rolling contract he was on. As he resigned; we dont have to pay him off at all.

And for his own CV, he doesnt have a black mark of a sacking on it.

So there is a difference between the two, even if as you say the end outcome is the same.

Well, yeah it is. If he was sacked; we'd have had to pay compensation for the full 1 year rolling contract he was on. As he resigned; we dont have to pay him off at all.

And for his own CV, he doesnt have a black mark of a sacking on it.

So there is a difference between the two, even if as you say the end outcome is the same.

doesn't affect the rest of the post though, sounds like the point Latics_Fanatic is making is where to go next, not where we've just been.

Stopped reading when you listed Peter Reid as a manager with a tactical mind

Me too, Peter Reid or anybody of that ilk would be a disaster. Those types of managers are dinosaurs, like Dalglish, Souness, Robson etc. and are way past there best.

Also why would Mr. Corney need to bring someone onto the board with experience of running a club, he himself has been doing it for 10 years!